Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
As I left for an appointment early one morning this week, a homeless man with a bicycle was pulling cans and bottles out of my recycle container. I was dressed in a coat and tie and greeted him as I walked to my vehicle. Motioning to the container, he said clearly, "You don't mind?" I replied that of course I didn't mind and wished him a good day. "God bless you", he said as I climbed into the truck, perhaps mindful of Our Lady of Grace in the front yard.

He was young looking, a little shabby but not dirty. I would guess that he hasn't been homeless for very long. I'm not seeing more homeless people these days, but their faces are changing. The panhandlers outside the neighborhood supermarket - all men, of course - are becoming younger, more clean cut, and well spoken. What's going on here?

Statistics show that homelessness isn't increasing. Many public and private programs have been successful in reducing the problem. But the face of the homeless is changing. They're younger, better educated, more articulate and creative - and sleeping on the streets. Many of the homeless are even employed today, making an average of $9,500 per year, which isn't enough for an apartment in most places. Have you noticed the same?

The State of Homelessness in America - 2012
I don't know about the guy in the picture, but A LOT of homeless people are that way because of drug abuse. They've been kicked out of their family's home (and with just reason, because drug addicts often turn to stealing and writing bad checks to feed their addiction) and out of their friends' houses and garages. Oxycontin, Opana, meth, and heroin have a BIG hold on a lot of youth these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
Society needs the homeless otherwise it can't get young people to perform menial labor for low wages.

One can always tell them - 'if you don't do grovel enough it's the streets for you'

I'd go as far as saying that homelessness is actually manufactured intentionally.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Granted, I have made a lot of really bad decisions in my life. But, I have never let my kids go hungry or homeless. I have worked two, and three jobs, and gone to school, to get a better education...

I can see being down and out, been there myself. No problems with helping folks out. The problem is...that some folks just see it as "easy street", and actually prefer a life of handouts, rather than working. Their thinking is completely flawed. They think that working for minimum wage, is stupid. They would rather live in public housing, then get a job.

Personally, our entire system is flawed. It is one of handouts and entitlement programs. Not one that rewards people for trying hard to get out of poverty. It actually penalizes folks...earn money? Okay, less dollars in food stamps this month. Complete disincentive for work. And "rewards" for being a single parent, not knowing who the Daddy is, and having more kids you can't support.

The Earned Income Tax Credit certainly rewards the poor for working. And it could be argued that the tax code rewards most those who don't work but who rather let their money work for them.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Most homeless folks don't file income tax. They rarely have enough earnings. If they have any it is usually under the table funds from day labor jobs, or dancing.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:29 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
how about derelict buildings - should the homeless be allowed to stay in these places for free?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Do you realize that effective tax rates in these countries and how much is actually left from that high minimum wage. Also be careful boasting European countries or better yet check their current unemployment rates.
US: 15% tax on $8,000-$35,000

Switzerland: 0% if you earn less $15,000 yearly, otherwise it's reported to be anywhere from 11 to 20 percent max for the filthy rich. I am not certain what it is for those making in between, but needless to say, if you're earning 25,000 yearly, you don't have to worry about taxes.

Australia: 9.7% for incomes of $18,000 to $37,000

New Zealand: 17 percent on $14,001 – $48,000

Japan: I couldn't find any information pertaining to tax brackets, but japan boasts one of the lowest tax rates in the world. Their maximum is lower than ours of 35%

Austria: 21% on $9,000 to $27,000

According to the facts, low income earners in the countries I listed aren't necessarily paying anymore in taxes than they would in the US, while earning a similar salary. As a matter of fact, they would save alot more money if they lived in Switzerland, Australia and possibly Japan. The only exception would be Austria.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
US: 15% tax on $8,000-$35,000

Switzerland: 0% if you earn less $15,000 yearly, otherwise it's reported to be anywhere from 11 to 20 percent max for the filthy rich. I am not certain what it is for those making in between, but needless to say, if you're earning 25,000 yearly, you don't have to worry about taxes.

Australia: 9.7% for incomes of $18,000 to $37,000

New Zealand: 17 percent on $14,001 – $48,000

Japan: I couldn't find any information pertaining to tax brackets, but japan boasts one of the lowest tax rates in the world. Their maximum is lower than ours of 35%

Austria: 21% on $9,000 to $27,000

According to the facts, low income earners in the countries I listed aren't necessarily paying anymore in taxes than they would in the US, while earning a similar salary. As a matter of fact, they would save alot more money if they lived in Switzerland, Australia and possibly Japan. The only exception would be Austria.
Plus killer VAT on everything. You mysteriously missed any data for EU countries you quoted before and I don't think you would ever pay 15% on 8K in the US

Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Oh it only matters because they are younger and cleaner ,but when they were old and dirty who cares ?!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Plus killer VAT on everything. You mysteriously missed any data for EU countries you quoted before and I don't think you would ever pay 15% on 8K in the US
US: 0-10% Sales tax depending on where you live
New Zealand: 15%
Switzerland: 2% to 8% depending on what you buy
Australia: 0-10%
Japan: 5%
Austria: 20%

Mystery solved.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
US: 0-10% Sales tax depending on where you live
New Zealand: 15%
Switzerland: 2% to 8% depending on what you buy
Australia: 0-10%
Japan: 5%
Austria: 20%

Mystery solved.
Not really

Switzerland is not a good example of anything. Its economy mostly based on financial services it also has the highest income in the world and very restrictive immigration policies.

Generally European countries have much higher income and sales taxes than the us.

Higher minimum wages do not mean that these economies are better off.
I bet minimum wage in Greece is higher than in the us

Look at this list and compare

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country#section_1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies