Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Setup a lemonade stand for ANY reason. You'll see LEO's and government in action.
Didn't that happen in one of the Real American red states, and wasn't that a result of a Real American responsive local government?

But I digress...

I live in a area so blue its almost darker than the deep blue sea and the police could care less about lemonade stands. Directing traffic is their big thing (by the way, they aren't allowed to use radar so the don't do speed traps).

Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's because you have your head in the sand. Government tells us (including you)

- what you can buy
- what you can smoke
- what you can drink
- what you can eat
- who you can have sex with
I must not have gotten the list.

Quote:
- when your store can be open
- what you can sell on what days
- what prices you can charge
- what profit margin you can make
Poor baby? I live in Pennsylvania I don't have these problems.

Quote:
- what you can pay your employees
Sorry, it just sets a minimum the rest is up to you. I have to pay my folks from $150 - $250 per hour. In fact our labor costs for yesterday was $3,000.00

Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
Can we talk about building codes? Yes things need to be safe, but their has to be a better way than this. My husband and myself had added on to houses and stuff like that. Why is a permit over $600? $600 for someone from the government to come and say that yes that one thing there it is built correctly. A job that takes literally a few minutes. In the private sector you can get a complete home inspection for $300 - $400, that looks over the whole house. If you give our government a job to do they will find the most expensive way possible to do it and you get to pay for it. Government looks out for government and not people. People should run the government rather than the other way around.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, and I don't look forward to either one.
But you benefit from taxes. Think of all those brown people overseas who've been the recipient of U.S. weapons systems and bombs, and NCOs with assault rifles. Those things don't work for free; it requires lots of tax dollars. Moreover, the entire economic system of this country is dependent on taxes as evident in the 2008 bailout of the major banking institutions. Without that bailout, the economic system of this country (and possibly that of the world) would not exist.

You benefit from taxation. It's the cost of living in a society. It's just simple for many people to spend much of their energy and time complaining about it.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Catto, I think the answers are in. The government-is-interfering-in-my-life people have spoken. The consensus is that they don't like taxes. Just like everything else, it comes down to money.
Yeah, that seems to the gist of it. Personally, I like most of the things that the government provides, you know stuff like clean air, clean water, safe food, emergency relief, paying the poor so that they don't block the sidewalks with shopping carts, stuff like that.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Oh jeez, paying a minimum wage is so infringing upon my liberty. In fact, the constitutional provision against slavery hinders my liberty too.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Can we talk about building codes? Yes things need to be safe, but their has to be a better way than this. My husband and myself had added on to houses and stuff like that. Why is a permit over $600? $600 for someone from the government to come and say that yes that one thing there it is built correctly. A job that takes literally a few minutes. In the private sector you can get a complete home inspection for $300 - $400, that looks over the whole house. If you give our government a job to do they will find the most expensive way possible to do it and you get to pay for it. Government looks out for government and not people. People should run the government rather than the other way around.
Once again the problem seems to be that oh so responsive state and local government I keep hearing about.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Once again the problem seems to be that oh so responsive state and local government I keep hearing about.
Yep, this is where the conservatives "small government" and states' rights argument breaks down. The government that I experience the most is state government. I only deal with the federales when I send in that tax return circa April 15--it's the only time I really notice the feds. Otherwise, the state and local governments are always, seemingly, in my life.

Conservatives, where's the indignation for state and local government? Why are the federales the scapegoat?

Maybe this has something to say about the matter, maybe not. 10 years ago I worked in local media in Jackson, MS. During an off-year election (no president; nor was governor being elected in that state), we did a survey of eligible voters and people actually casting votes based on the numbers the local voting precincts offered to us. In the most conservative county in the area--Madison County, MS--we found that around 26% of eligible voters cared enough to cast a vote for things like county supervisor, aldermen/women, mayor, school board, state representative, state senator, etc. Only 26% of the eligible voters.

Some say that local government is the place where ordinary people can make a difference-- and so it's ironic that it's also the area that's mostly ignored.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you mean by that.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM

174 posts, read 96,020 times
Quote:
Yeah, that seems to the gist of it. Personally, I like most of the things that the government provides, you know stuff like clean air (Fukishma, Chernobyl, Chemtrails and cotton tails) clean water (methane, trihalomethanes and fluoride in the drinking water), safe food (Gulf oil shrimp and the kind of corn that rid NYC of their bedbug infestation, not to mention radioactive food), emergency relief (Obamacare), paying the poor so that they don't block the sidewalks with shopping carts (taxed to the sidewalks - yeah, it's nice to see the Government give back to the community. After all, Government didn't build Government, bums did.), stuff like that.
I'll have what you're snorting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies