Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I keep reading about the government intervening in folks lives, so I'm curious to know what is it that you are doing that I'm not. I ask because I trying to figure out why the government has been interfering in mine. Outside of a few traffic signals, and having to pay a toll to return to Philadelphia from New Jersey I've had absolutely zero interactions with the government, government policies or anything that could be remotely construed as being present much less interfering in my life.

Can you folks who have the government poking into the life's help figure out what makes you so special?
This is the very same argument a Life Long Welfare Leach™ would make.

"What government interference? They give me free food....free medical care.....free cell phones...free housing vouchers.....what interference are you talking about? The government is my lifeline! Not my interference!"

Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
So you're among the few, then. Daily I look at C-D and daily I scan the thread topics. The vast majority in which the word "government" is used and it is usually a thread designed to denigrate the federales, rather than the state governments.

That's what I read on this forum alone. In my conversations in real-time, real-life, with people, I hear much of the same thing--the federales are the problem, not the state government and that state governments are being circumvented by the federales.

That's what I was commenting on--how the federales are a scapegoat among the loudest complainers of government.

Now that I've explained myself, are you and the other guy who quoted me on this thread--are y'all some sort of anarchist faction or party? Or just general, run of the mill anarchists with no party or organizational affiliation? Are you an advocate of, say, an anarcho-syndicalist type of position? Or, are you just punk rockers who believe that no government would be the best way to go?
Are those my only two choices?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
I appreciate the give and take, I really do.

Yet I have a problem with your last statement, in relation to your previous statements. You are essentially saying that you support government's ability to regulate the market--but that's not a free market. A free market would allow people to charge any price for any product and allow people to use whatever fraudulent sales practice--provided that other sellers in the market could do similar fraudulent sales practices.
I don't agree with the last part. Fraud is theft. Government should protect people against fraud and theft.

Quote:
Basically, in a free market system, it would be left up to the consumer, not government, to determine which sales practices are fraudulent and to "vote with their dollars" by doing business with those sellers who are not engaged in fraudulent sales practices.
I don't agree since fraud is theft. I do agree that government should not regulate prices at all and people should "vote with their dollars". But not in the case of fraud or theft.

Quote:
I think that you're saying, probably without realizing, that you do indeed need government to provide some regulatory function. BTW, I saw your previous post, thanks! And I generally agree that the police power of the state and the federales has grown way too large--but it still doesn't affect me personally because I don't break the law (much). I just wish cops weren't such a-holes!
We need government to prosecute theft and fraud. A free market does not need fraud or theft to be free. You can call it regulation but I call it protection of people's right to be free from theft.

That being said, I don't totally reject all forms of government regulation.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,052 times
if more people would just stop arguing against the federal government we could hurry up and become the great dictatorship we are heading towards... wait a sec...

Old 09-07-2012, 02:41 PM

174 posts, read 95,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

We need government to prosecute theft and fraud.
The Government is not about to begin prosecuting itself.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

That being said, I don't totally reject all forms of government regulation.
I appreciate the give-and-take here.

Based on what's been said, then, it seems that you do indeed benefit from taxation. And that's been my main goal to demonstrate on this thread today. We all benefit from taxation despite our willingness to complain very loudly about it. It does something in our lives and in the cases mentioned on the past few pages, government regulation helps to control some greed among human beings and helps to prevent exploitation--it doesn't contain these things totally, but imagine a system without any gov. regulation.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,052 times
how many different independently owned newspapers do we have left now? how many independently owned tv stations/channels? how many internet providers where you live? the market has slowly evolved into monopoly after monopoly because of those who pay the most get the most. There are some aspects of "free market" but those are on their way out as well. And our government has allowed this to happen.
All i know is what i see. I have one provider for internet, no one else. I see numerous tv stations owned by the same company. i see every insurance company owned or tied to the few major insurance companies. Ive seen our freedoms such as the constitutional "right to travel" eroded with numerous toll roads and highways on our own soil that have been sold to foreign countries to which they collect tolls to earn their money back, those tolls do NOT go to road repair, look it up. And these are just a few and what worries me is I also see very few people saying a word about this. You can not even gather rain water on your own property any longer without committing a crime. Instead of thinking someone else will fix this get proactive about this, write your congressmen and senators, tell anyone that will listen, exercise your rights, and speak up.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
I can't think of anything the federal government does that interferes with my life on a personal level.

The state I live in gets on my nerves mostly due to the DMV or whatever acronym it stands for here now. They are freaking ridiculous here as in most areas.

Trying to think of some local laws that invade my life....................

I could go on with the ......... can't think of any.

Some people though get really riled up about taxes. Me..eh..not so much. Even when I didn't have kids I didn't mind paying property taxes to support the school system. I'd rather a kid be in school than learning to be a criminal out on the street.

And the one about the semi-automatic weapons was pretty funny BTW. I pictured a guy holed up with uzis LOL! Don't know why anyone outside of a military would need guns like that but that is JMHO.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
These are problems? Once again I am amazed at the trivialization of the concept of freedom and liberty.

These might be interferences in your day to day life but they aren't in mine.

In contrast to the blue laws, the auto-sale ban has sparked little controversy. Even among dealers, there's been no major lobbying effort to reverse the prohibition on Sunday sales, according to Mark Stine of the Pennsylvania Automotive Association.

"When I poll my members periodically, the majority … are unopposed to being closed on Sundays" by law, said Stine, whose group represents more than 950 car and truck dealerships. "These people work 12-hour days" or more, Stine said, and most seem to be happy enough for one day a week when everyone stays home.
Why does Pennsylvania ban automobile sales on Sundays? - Morning Call

They don't call it the Quaker State for nothing!

In 1702 Pennsylvania was arresting people for masquerading. In the mid-19th Century is was illegal to conduct public revelries. Them Pennsylvanian Founding Fathers were a tyrannical bunch and most of these prohibitions go back about that far.

"I know..." he said in hushed tones.

I guess why CIGNA, and Highmark have their headquarters here!

I know again (same hushed tones), its a tragic imposition on my life... NOT!

Sorry but the local bars sells 6 packs, the local beer store sells cases and the local state store is open from 12:00 to 5:00 on Sunday.
Who was that who sells liquor in PA? The state government.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Who was that who sells liquor in PA? The state government.
And your not allowed to buy grain alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies