Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Probably saves on aircraft maintenance and pilot salaries.
they save on damn near everything.

from the article:

Quote:
http://www.nber.org/papers/w11755.pdf?new_window=1

In a landmark economics paper on this issue, two professors dubbed these winners and losers "sophisticates" and "myopes." Smart consumers -- the sophisticates -- should thank their lucky stars every day that clumsy myopes exist; otherwise, there would be no $5 flights from London to Dublin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Moral of story: Read the fine print and familiarize yourself with the rules.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:30 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Spirit Air CEO made a similar public comment a few years ago regarding their clientele. They too are a budget airline.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Probably saves on aircraft maintenance and pilot salaries.
well i don't quite see how cheap, trashy advertising and pre-printed boarding passes would save them money on aircraft maintenance and pilot salaries. you'll have to explain that one to me.

i do think the biggest risk for them is the perception that they are unsafe. i remember a story about them using duct tape on one of their windows; i don't know how true these stories are but that's one area i'm sure they know they ought not be screwing around with.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 AM

858 posts, read 707,878 times
In a way, I agree with him. I also think that in the interest of capitalism, one of those Hudson News places or bookstores that are in every airport should advertise near RyanAir kiosks and say they will freely print the boarding pass with any purchase over $10.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 AM

15,094 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've printed my own tickets many times. It's really no big deal. Did it to go to the ball game a few weeks ago. The asinine concept as you call it is the way things are done more and more now. You had better get used to it.
That's what was said in 1939 Nazi Germany. This is the way we do things now ... better get used to it.

Quote:
I think it's great. I've been hoping for the day when I can do this for my cable. Just pick and choose what I want. Ford does give you options on tires. I've never been charged freight twice. That must just be you.
Actually .. the options are generally on choice of wheels. But all models come with tires and wheels at no additional charge. And since I spent a few years working in the car business, I speak from experience, and know all of the tricks of the trade. TT&F ... Taxes, Tags, Freight ... is what it was commonly referred to when I was in it years ago .. I suspect that hasn't changed, and I also suspect that you paid it without even being aware.

Quote:
How have you managed to make it this long? Stuff like this has been done forever. The $99 lease doesn't get you a vehicle loaded with options. Adults have been able to manage. Well, most of them.
Oh yes, there has always been con artists, scams, false advertising, bait and switch schemes. It's only in more recent times that people have become such idiots as to defend the practices.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 PM

15,094 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think people who don't read the rules and call other people 'cheats' when they get screwed because of it are the ones who deserve what they get.
Did you know that just during the Bush administration ... 50,000 new federal regulations were added? Have you read them? Do you know which ones might be applicable to you and your behavior? They are all on the books and you can access them on line. I ask this question because it strikes at the heart of your argument. Do you review or look for "policy" changes with government and with every business entity you deal with, DAILY, prior to each and every transaction or interaction? Do you check every piece of local, state and federal legislation passed on a periodic schedule? Of course you don't, and neither does anyone else, nor should they have to.

If your city changed the parking fine from $25 to $2,500 dollars for a meter running out .... and the new rules were posted .... would that be just fine with you ... you'd pay up with no complaint? And before you answer "you should not have let the meter run out" .... lets say that along with that new rule, they also changed the regulation now requiring that you feed the meter 24 hours a day 7 days a week .... instead of the 7:30 am - 5:30 pm Mon-Fri that it had been for decades. They did list this change right on the meter ... small text, but still right there? So you parked your car on a Saturday afternoon downtown ... you payed no attention to the meter because no one ever had to feed the meter on Saturdays before, so you didn't see the new rules listed on it. You get slapped with a $2,500 fine. And you think you deserve it. Brilliant! The better question is, why do you hate yourself so much? And why do you hate the idea of honesty and integrity?

The point, which you probably still don't get ... because it's a point that really shouldn't need this much explanation ... is that rules are fine so long as they serve a legitimate purpose, and good faith efforts are made to ensure that those who might be negatively impacted by those rules are properly notified, allowing them the opportunity to either comply with or avoid the situation, and thereby not be negatively affected. And part of this process of operating with "integrity" would also require that any penalty for breaking a particular rule would be reasonable, and not grossly punitive .... like a $2,500 parking ticket.

In the case of this ticket printing charge, $100 or more to print a ticket is absurd. $10 would be insulting, but $100 is abusive and grossly disproportionate to the service rendered. It's a scam on the surface, and one would need to be a drooling idiot not to immediately recognize it for what it is ... a fraud. It's a "gotcha" ... didn't read the fine print did ya dummy! And just like the CEO admitted .... he views his customers as idiots, and therefore they deserve to be scammed. It's the survival of the fittest .... it's the old blame the victim game. If you don't want to be raped, don't wear such short skirts.

The truth is, there are more con games in the world than anyone could keep track of. Although the use of "fine print" is an old one, it has always been a deliberate means of satisfying a legal requirement to inform people, without actually being successful in informing them. It's a fraud. And you cannot do such things legitimately because there can be no legitimacy in a fraud. Contracts between parties can be voided when one party attempts to deceive the other in such manners.

There are always people that fall for con artists and scams. Are they stupid? Maybe. But their stupidity will never legitimize the dishonesty involved in taking advantage of them. That you left your car door unlocked, or the keys in the ignition does not give permission for someone to steal it.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Did you know that just during the Bush administration ... 50,000 new federal regulations were added? Have you read them? Do you know which ones might be applicable to you and your behavior? They are all on the books and you can access them on line. I ask this question because it strikes at the heart of your argument. Do you review or look for "policy" changes with government and with every business entity you deal with, DAILY, prior to each and every transaction or interaction? Do you check every piece of local, state and federal legislation passed on a periodic schedule? Of course you don't, and neither does anyone else, nor should they have to.

If your city changed the parking fine from $25 to $2,500 dollars for a meter running out .... and the new rules were posted .... would that be just fine with you ... you'd pay up with no complaint? And before you answer "you should not have let the meter run out" .... lets say that along with that new rule, they also changed the regulation now requiring that you feed the meter 24 hours a day 7 days a week .... instead of the 7:30 am - 5:30 pm Mon-Fri that it had been for decades. They did list this change right on the meter ... small text, but still right there? So you parked your car on a Saturday afternoon downtown ... you payed no attention to the meter because no one ever had to feed the meter on Saturdays before, so you didn't see the new rules listed on it. You get slapped with a $2,500 fine. And you think you deserve it. Brilliant! The better question is, why do you hate yourself so much? And why do you hate the idea of honesty and integrity?

The point, which you probably still don't get ... because it's a point that really shouldn't need this much explanation ... is that rules are fine so long as they serve a legitimate purpose, and good faith efforts are made to ensure that those who might be negatively impacted by those rules are properly notified, allowing them the opportunity to either comply with or avoid the situation, and thereby not be negatively affected. And part of this process of operating with "integrity" would also require that any penalty for breaking a particular rule would be reasonable, and not grossly punitive .... like a $2,500 parking ticket.

In the case of this ticket printing charge, $100 or more to print a ticket is absurd. $10 would be insulting, but $100 is abusive and grossly disproportionate to the service rendered. It's a scam on the surface, and one would need to be a drooling idiot not to immediately recognize it for what it is ... a fraud. It's a "gotcha" ... didn't read the fine print did ya dummy! And just like the CEO admitted .... he views his customers as idiots, and therefore they deserve to be scammed. It's the survival of the fittest .... it's the old blame the victim game. If you don't want to be raped, don't wear such short skirts.

The truth is, there are more con games in the world than anyone could keep track of. Although the use of "fine print" is an old one, it has always been a deliberate means of satisfying a legal requirement to inform people, without actually being successful in informing them. It's a fraud. And you cannot do such things legitimately because there can be no legitimacy in a fraud. Contracts between parties can be voided when one party attempts to deceive the other in such manners.

There are always people that fall for con artists and scams. Are they stupid? Maybe. But their stupidity will never legitimize the dishonesty involved in taking advantage of them. That you left your car door unlocked, or the keys in the ignition does not give permission for someone to steal it.
That reminds me of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy line:

Quote:
People of Earth, this is Prostetnic Vogon
Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace planning
council.

As you are probably aware, plans for the
development of the outlying regions of the
galaxy involve the building of a
hyperspace express route through your star
system...

...and, unfortunately, your planet is one
of those scheduled for demolition. The
process will take slightly less than two
of your Earth minutes. Thank you.

There's no point in acting all surprised
about it. The plans and demolition orders
have been on display at your local planning
office in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your
Earth years, so you've had plenty of time
to lodge formal complaints.

What do you mean you've never been to
Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven's sake
mankind, it's only four light years away
you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be
bothered to take an interest in local
affairs that's your own lookout.

Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy
at all. Energize the demolition beams.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If it is verbal, and not in the fine print, the passenger could insist that no one told her anything in an effort to get around the policy.

While I feel the CEO was wrong calling a patron stupid, I have to agree with what was written on an earlier post. Self service allows the airline to keep the fare low. The passenger probably checked many things about her vacation destination prior to departing. If she printed off her airline tickets to head on vacation, it is not unreasonable to think one will need to print tickets to return. Didn't she check with her hotel to see if they offered internet/printer access or if there was someplace nearby they could use?
It's in the fine print. This is RyanAir's business model, always have been: Your flight is dirt cheap, but if you don't abide 100% with every sub-clause in the fine print - if your bag is an ounce overweight, your carry-on is a half-inch too large, or you don't pre-print your boarding pass - then the bear trap snaps, and you're likely to pay regular airline pricing for your flight. They'll also fly to weird, out-of-the-way airports and there's absolutely no creature comforts.

If they'd been around when I was younger and had more time than money, I'd have been all over an offer like that. Now? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies