Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:57 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times

Advertisements

Sorry folks but Pennsylvania`s top Republican has let the cat out of the bag regarding Pa.`s voter ID law and it`s purpose. Our Republican governor was the state AG for 6 years and prosecuted zero cases of voter fraud and now it`s a concern of his? Nobody is that gullible...I would hope.

Mike Turzai: Voter ID helps GOP win state - Mackenzie Weinger - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Sorry folks
Don't be sorry, magoo. You did nothing wrong, and have nothing to be sorry about.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:22 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why haven't I seen CATO or the Reason Foundation do a piece on voter ID laws? That's how I know libertarians are closet conservatives. They never rally with liberals on any issue.
I consider myself Libertarian, at least in most areas. I do have allowances. . .

regardless, the Voter ID laws are nothing but a blanket attempt to stop certain groups from voting. It is just as wrong as Gerrymandering.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:40 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,112 times
Quote:
Why haven't I seen CATO or the Reason Foundation do a piece on voter ID laws? That's how I know libertarians are closet conservatives. They never rally with liberals on any issue.

Realy. lets take a look.
Drug legalization . check
getting the hell out of vietghanistan , check

Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,662 times
Quote:
It is the liberals that don't rally for progressive-liberal causes, NOT the libertarians. Where is your outrage against Obama's War on Drugs? Where is your outrage against Obama's militarism? Where is your outrage against Obama's prosecution of whistle-blowers? Oh, that's right - you deadbeats are too busy with your hats stretched out begging for more government handouts to bother about any of those.

Claiming that Voter ID violates the Constitution is a bit of a stretch. In the crazy world of liberal logic, everything they like is constitutional and everything they don't like is unconstitutional. Individual libertarians may have differing views on this and no libertarian/classic liberal ideology dictates that libertarians should oppose Voter ID laws. (If you can prove it, do it.)

I myself was initially against the Voter ID, but now I am for it, after hearing about many personal eye-witness accounts of instances of voter fraud in my state (NC) from poll officials, poll observers, poll workers and poll runners.

If I need an ID to buy a frikkin' 6-pack of Bud Light, I sure as hell better need one to select the President, the most powerful office in the world!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
You heard about voter fraud in NC so that means it exists? BTW,you really shouldn`t need an ID to buy light beer.Real beer,yes.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Sorry folks but Pennsylvania`s top Republican has let the cat out of the bag regarding Pa.`s voter ID law and it`s purpose.
That statement is 100% in line with the GOP's position that voter fraud is rampant.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Quote:
Some people don't have the luxury to go through such process. Voting is a right that should not be deprived of citizens.
But voting is a right retained only for citizens of the US. It's not denying anyone their right by asking they identify themselves. I don't even understand how this is an issue, this is common sense.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Quote:
Oh lord that's BS. I spend more time on here "rallying" for the end of the "Patriot" Act, the end of the NDAA, the end of warrantless wiretapping, the end of the "war" on drugs, the end of our neoconservative interventionist foreign policy, etc. If you look at "libertarian" websites like Lew Rockwell, Daily Paul, Mises, and actually use the search function on Reason or Cato you'd see that most libertarians are extremely vocal on the above mentioned issue. Those issues are supposed to be cherished by "liberals" and "progressives" yet most liberals and progressives on here support and "rally with" Barack Obama who has helped trample all of those civil liberty related issues.

One reason for the perceived closeness between libertarians and Republicans is the fact that Ron Paul has run as a Republican the last two cycles and Gary Johnson initially ran as a Republican and was a Republican governor. Although both parties have at various times embraced libertarian ideas (yes even Democrats, look up Grover Cleveland and the Bourbon Democrats) the GOP has a more recent history of being the home of libertarian ideas. "Mr. Republican" Senator Robert Taft, President Calvin Coolidge, Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan, Ron Paul, Rand Paul are all Republican politicians in the past century who have had outspoken libertarian leaning ideas.

But don't get me wrong, I hate the GOP just as much as I hate the Democrats. No I take that back, I hate the GOP more. They're the ones responsible for destroying the good name of libertarian ideas. When they mess up people blame "capitalism" and "small government" because the GOP runs under those banners even though they certainly don't govern using those ideas. Since the GOP and libertarianism are so closely linked in the mind of the general public when a GOPer messes up libertarianism also gets diminished.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
In what way? Voting is one of our most important rights. As is the concept of one person, one vote. Without integrity in the process, you have a system full of fraud and corruption (aka what we have now). This is repugnant to anyone that places value on the entire voting process. ID checks are a simple way to help ensure the integrity of the process. There are no promises that this addresses all cases of fraud, just look at the use of fake IDs by under-age people to buy booze. But it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully at some point we can have simple fingerprint scanners or similar technology to verify the ID of registered voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies