Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'm betting it was a FEMA directive.

Thank obama, not Jindal.

When FEMA gives an order, the governor is usually the one to deliver the news. The decision, however, was not made by the governor.
You might be right. I recall that the local LE let the local volunteers in to distribute.
I think once the Feds got there is when we got turned back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 AM

78,751 posts, read 60,939,328 times
I know FEMA is a convenient target due to their Katrina incompetance, but the state and local governments have arguably as bad or worse track records.

The corruption related issues around there are the icing on the cake.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 AM

4,181 posts, read 4,198,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I've just returned from the New Orleans area where the relief and rebuilding effort in the wake of Hurricane Isaac is still in full swing.

When I first arrived, the Red Cross and their companion Southern Baptist feeding unit were working out of the Alario Convention Center in Westwego, LA. All the Red Cross ERV's operated out of there and the Baptist's had a 2 mobile kitchens, a shower trailer, a laundry trailer and a mud-out team housed and working in the convention center. That was on Tuesday of last week.

On Thursday, all the volunteer workers had their bedding and personal belongings moved into a small portion of a gymnasium without any warning by state officials.

On Friday, we were all ordered out of the convention center within 24 hours. No explanation was given and it set off a mad scramble to find places to house and base all those disaster relief units. One Oklahoma feeding unit had already gone home, but the big one, which had provided 1/4 of all the meals served to hurricane victims simply packed up and went back to Oklahoma.

Thank you, State of Louisiana and the Jindal administration, for showing us how much you appreciate our efforts to help YOUR people in their hour of distress.

We will continue to help the victims from other locations, but it will be in spite of the state government.
It is sad. But hey, government does not like competition. This is exactly what was done when FEMA moved in after Katrina. And they did a horrible job. This is why government must go.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,568,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow stillkit. So sorry to hear they kicked you out. That's politics these days.
Only "they" can do it right, not private charities. I've seen that happen before so it's not something new.
When the "people in charge" get there the first thing they do is to get rid of the volunteers.

Remember Hurricane Andrew ? I lived in South Florida at that time. I was north of it and did not evacuate.
Post Hurricane there were groups of locals going down there to help with water, food, clothing.
We were fine until the government showed up and "took over" and told us to leave and take all our stuff with us.

I hope this doesn't discourage your group in the future.
Oh, no. It won't discourage us. We're still there and still helping out. We go there to serve The People, not the government. By the same token, though, we have a right to expect the affected state authorities to support our efforts, not make them more difficult.

As for the claim that FEMA is probably behind it? I don't know, but I can tell you that FEMA's presence at the convention center wasn't very visible. The place was crawling with state officials, National Guard and Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department personnel. The convention center itself is owned by the state and it's a state operation there.

That does not mean the feds aren't involved because they are. As I understand it, FEMA is the ones who sent all those truck loads of relief supplies and that was another monumental boondoggle. Dozens of trucks showed up with all kinds of supplies and the center not only had no room to park them, they didn't even have the facilities to unload and store what they brought. So, they were shuttled off to some other place. I don't know where. I DO know that somebody was paying those truckers $4 per mile to bring that stuff in and...are you ready for this?...$50 per hour to sit there! FIFTY DOLLARS PER HOUR!. I talked to one driver who had picked up his load at York, AL, then was dispatched to Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge, LA and finally to Westwego where he had been parked for 60 hours...at 50 bucks each. He was making out like a bandit and his truck still had not been unloaded.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
It is sad. But hey, government does not like competition. This is exactly what was done when FEMA moved in after Katrina. And they did a horrible job. This is why government must go.

I was there for Katrina and saw the same kinds of things happening. Hurricane Gustav was just as bad.

I've worked dozens of disasters, including 6 hurricanes with 3 of them in Louisiana and one thing is constant: If it's in Louisiana, it's gonna be screwed up.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh, no. It won't discourage us. We're still there and still helping out. We go there to serve The People, not the government. By the same token, though, we have a right to expect the affected state authorities to support our efforts, not make them more difficult.

As for the claim that FEMA is probably behind it? I don't know, but I can tell you that FEMA's presence at the convention center wasn't very visible. The place was crawling with state officials, National Guard and Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department personnel. The convention center itself is owned by the state and it's a state operation there.

That does not mean the feds aren't involved because they are. As I understand it, FEMA is the ones who sent all those truck loads of relief supplies and that was another monumental boondoggle. Dozens of trucks showed up with all kinds of supplies and the center not only had no room to park them, they didn't even have the facilities to unload and store what they brought. So, they were shuttled off to some other place. I don't know where. I DO know that somebody was paying those truckers $4 per mile to bring that stuff in and...are you ready for this?...$50 per hour to sit there! FIFTY DOLLARS PER HOUR!. I talked to one driver who had picked up his load at York, AL, then was dispatched to Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge, LA and finally to Westwego where he had been parked for 60 hours...at 50 bucks each. He was making out like a bandit and his truck still had not been unloaded.
Well, you read all these stories about government incompetence. Now you see for yourself.
Sometimes an entity is too big for itself and the red tape only serves to make it that much worse.

This is a perfect example of big government being too big. Local and State can better manage things and maybe the Fed is better off just sending money to cover the expenses and let the locals take care of the logistics.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Well, you read all these stories about government incompetence. Now you see for yourself.
Sometimes an entity is too big for itself and the red tape only serves to make it that much worse.

This is a perfect example of big government being too big. Local and State can better manage things and maybe the Fed is better off just sending money to cover the expenses and let the locals take care of the logistics.

Any organization can get too big to manage. That's nothing new. There will always be waste and abuse and there's not much you can do about it until after the fact, especially in an emergency situation where time is critical. When people need to be rescued or fed, nobody wants a bean-counter running the whole show and determining who gets help and when based upon his actuarial tables or his cost-benefit analysis.

As for simply handing the states some money? I sure wouldn't do that, especially in Louisiana with their long history of political corruption. That's MY money and I want to know where it's going.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,304,699 times
I live in Louisiana...and right now I'd give people in LA money before many other places. The Federal District Attorney, Jim Letten will charge you if you spit on the street. There is zero tolerance here right now...and that's why anyone who does anything goes before a grand jury instantly.

And the Alario Center (in Westwego...bleh) from what I was told was crowded and the state may have needed the room to accommodate people asking for aid. If you had to move down the street so be it.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,029,878 times
First let me think the groups for the wonderful response with mobile kitchens after hurricane Rita. Then perhaps suggest its more likely the local emergency management offficals than either FEMA or the state. They are the ones who really botched the job in hurricane katrina.FEMA really is a small organization minus the volunteers and ones thery hire after the storm and mostly works thru contractors.TLocal emergency m,anagement retinas most control and that is why the repsonses are so different in different storms.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,054,854 times
Quote:

One thing is sure to happen when the government gets in command and that is cluster****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies