Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,174,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Early 2003 was not "top of the bubble." That came in about 2006. But things were ramping up. That is for sure.
If you are going to stay in the house and the area is not filled with foreclosures you should do ok. If the neighborhood is filled with foreclosures it will take @ 5 or so years to get the value moving upward.

Housing was overbuilt due to the push for low income people to get housing.. no money down, and 2 million mortgages never saw the first payment . The so called buyers were freeloaders.

Count your blessings.. you bought in 2003, wasn't that bad .. it was 2005 and 2006 that was the peak of the bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Timing markets ain't for me. I bought a house in 1982. In 1986 it was worth 30% less than I paid for it. When I sold it in 1998 it was worth 20% more than I paid for. Not much of an ROI, but it was a home; not an investment.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Let's say you bought a house, like it did, in early 2003.

I spent a year looking, and thought I did the best I could at the time, I've never missed a payment, even when my wife was out of work for years ast a stay at home mom. The value nearly doubled by 2006, and I was a genius in my wife's eyes. Now, we are underwater on the house, and I am the fool that is to blame for wasting our savings. Suppose, my wife wanted to get a divorce for my financial incompetence.

Would she have a case, or are macroeconomic factors to blame?

Discuss.

(Hint. This is not a real estate thread.)
How much your house is worth only matters when you want to sell it. For one do you like the house? Is it where you want to live? Like others said, you have to live somewhere, if you were renting, it would cost you and you can't make many changes and improvements.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
Home values go up or down and that isn't your fault. If you bought more than you can afford that would be a different story.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Let's say you bought a house, like it did, in early 2003.

I spent a year looking, and thought I did the best I could at the time, I've never missed a payment, even when my wife was out of work for years ast a stay at home mom. The value nearly doubled by 2006, and I was a genius in my wife's eyes. Now, we are underwater on the house, and I am the fool that is to blame for wasting our savings. Suppose, my wife wanted to get a divorce for my financial incompetence.

Would she have a case, or are macroeconomic factors to blame?

Discuss.

(Hint. This is not a real estate thread.)
That would depend on your states divorce laws, here it wouldn't matter because it's no fault.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Since you won't know what your house is really 'worth' until you put it on the market and get offers this is all moot. Are you looking to move now? Then maybe you are a fool for selling low, unless it's an emergency and you have no choice then you are a victim of the economy/housing bubble. If not, you are a genius for giving your wife and kid a home since 2003 .

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
What interest rate do you have that 10 years down the road your principle balance hasn't come down?

Upside down relative to purchase price is different than upside down relative to market value and current mortgage balance.

And where is the house?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,892 times
Guess your wife glossed over the 'better or worse, richer or poorer" part of the vows, huh?

What does she value, you or your investment prowess? Maybe you're better off single.

At least you still have a home in which to live.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Besides -- the wife is going to end up with that house if she wins custody of the kids and that would like be the case. So then it will be up to her to have the financial smarts and decide how to pay down the mortgage.

In most cases, if you put 20% down and made 10 years of payments, you're not going to be underwater unless you saw your house as an ATM and borrowed money for vacations and whatever and now have nothing to show for it.

You would only have 20 more years with a fixed rate mortgage - and if the mortage was affordable back in 2003, it should still be affordable.

What I would do in such a case is speed up the payments - and maybe refinance in another 5 years to get the payment lowered and then still pay extra.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Zillow had the house we just sold estimated at almost $200,000 less than we ended up selling it for, so I wouldn't put too much in stock by them. We bought it in 2006 and ended up coming out about 10% ahead of what we put in it when everything was said and done. On the other hand, we just purchased a home for about $75,000 less than the people paid for it in 2005. I felt really bad for them. Not bad enough to pay more, but I did feel sorry for them. We saw a lot of cases where people were taking a bath. The number of short sales and foreclosures was mind boggling.

Unless your wife was either not your wife or in a coma at the time of your house purchase, any loss is just as much her fault as yours. She needs to get a grip. It was just a bad time in the market. A lot of people made the same mistake - they viewed their house purchase as an investment instead of a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies