Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He could have done what he promised -- instead of mismangeing the war for 4 more years, he could have brought our guys home.
Do you fully understand the effects of an abrupt pull out? They're not pretty. Having been involved in a previous gradual disengagement as a soldier myself, I know fully well what it does to the troops, but as a student of history, politics and foreign policy, I also understand the other side of that.

Quote:
Because our liberal media will not actually do any reporting, you probably don't realize that he's sending 4000 more soldiers just from one military base alone over to Afghanistan now.
The "media" doesn't report on routine troop movements, nor should they. Units rotate in and out of the combat zone all the time and reporting that would not only be redundant and boring, it might also involve some OPSEC issues.

I don't know what base you're referring to (probably Ft. Lewis, Ft. Bragg, Ft. Drum, Ft. Gordon, Camp Pendleton or Camp Lejune), but I'll just about guarantee you it was covered by the local media.

Quote:
We all know Obama isn't trying to win any war over there
Do we? Define "winning." And, please address why you think his predecessor was "trying to win" it.

Quote:
but someone must be getting rich from it so he's keeping it going, no matter how many American lives it costs.
Who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Your unquestioning worship of him for one -- and also your fellow liberals that think Obama walks on water and all is wonderful. Your liberal media won't report on the problems and if they do, they ignore the fact that we've had a democrat in the White House for the past 4 years.

In other words...you can't show me anything but conspiracy theories birthed in your own fetid, bigoted mind...right?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
He didn't start that war and he's not responsible for the way it was mismanaged for the first 7 years.

So..given what he inherited, what do you think he should have done differently? What COULD he have done differently?
Well first off he should have kept his yap shut instead of handing the Taliban a cookie by telling the world withdrawal was happening on a specific timeline. Sheeeit! why not just order the troops over there to all line up and wait for it with their hands over their heads?

What better way to disenchant your allies than to tell them you're gonna abandon them at high noon so they have no incentive to watch your back but every incentive to take as many of you down with them before you hand their azzes over to the enemy.

Suppose I'm an Afghan National Army member approached by a Taliban member who informs me very succinctly: "We know where you live and where all your family live so here's the deal; redeem yourself in the eyes of Allah (and us) by performing this deed for us [ fill in the blank ] and we will forgive your transgression and spare your family when the evil satan western imperialists leave here and we once again resume absoslute control to rape and pillage as we please". What the hell would you expect the poor numbnuts to do?

Moron Obama couldn't have put your troops and those Afghannies in a worse position had he outright planned it.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Who?
Soros?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well first off he should have kept his yap shut instead of handing the Taliban a cookie by telling the world withdrawal was happening on a specific timeline. Sheeeit! why not just order the troops over there to all line up and wait for it with their hands over their heads?

What better way to disenchant your allies than to tell them you're gonna abandon them at high noon so they have no incentive to watch your back but every incentive to take as many of you down with them before you hand their azzes over to the enemy.

Suppose I'm an Afghan National Army member approached by a Taliban member who informs me very succinctly: "We know where you live and where all your family live so here's the deal; redeem yourself in the eyes of Allah (and us) by performing this deed for us [ fill in the blank ] and we will forgive your transgression and spare your family when the evil satan western imperialists leave here and we once again resume absoslute control to rape and pillage as we please". What the hell would you expect the poor numbnuts to do?

Moron Obama couldn't have put your troops and those Afghannies in a worse position had he outright planned it.
That pretty much sums it up.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
That mismangment you discuss and I agree it was mismanged still resulted in fewer deaths in 7 years than Obama in 3 1/2.
Could that be because Afghanistan was relegated to second place after the Iraq invasion by the Bush administration? Their new war had priority on resources, including troop strength and the assets necessary to wage offensive warfare.

Quote:
Rules of engagement would be a good place to start.
Alright...let's talk about the ROE. What do you know about the subject and with what do you disagree?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Anybody who knows anything about warfare (yes, including the Taliban) envisioned any other outcome than eventual withdrawal from Afghanistan after 2003. After the invasion of Iraq, it wasn't a matter of if, but when.

The specific timing is completely irrelevant.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Soros?
Show me. Dick Cheney and Haliburton would be more likely.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Because the previous Republican leaders dropped the ball in Afganistan and decided to attack a nation that was of no threat to us instead of eliminating the Taliban and Al Quida once and for all.
Blame card played!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
In other words...you can't show me anything but conspiracy theories birthed in your own fetid, bigoted mind...right?
Something you didn't learn from your liberal lapdog media:

Pentagon: 3 Army units to deploy to Afghanistan - WSJ.com

The Army said about 1,900 soldiers from the Fort Campbell unit will be included in the deployment, along with 4,000 soldiers from the Fort Bliss unit and 2,870 from the Fort Drum unit, according to the Pentagon.

Note --- this is 4 years AFTER Bush -- and didn't Obama promise to bring our troops home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies