Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Schools should expect a certain urban/poor class of parents who do not know better/do not have the ability to prepare kids. Simple things such as starting school at pre-school and year around school can make up for these parents

Pretty much, we know what is required to adept for bad parents. . .we don't do anything. . .and we create more bad parents.

I am 100% for

- school, at least 1/2 day, starting at 3
- year round school with small (no more than 3 weeks) breaks.
Their solution to that was Head Start, now proven not to have really made any change.
The problem is in the homes. You can't fix that problem by pouring money into the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have rarely seen a teacher that teaches all day even in elementary beyond 1st or 2nd grade. Jr high and high schools? 7 or 8 periods each school day, the teachers taught a maximum of 5 periods.
Where in the heck are you located? I want to transfer there. I have taught middle school for over 20 years and NEVER have I had more than one planning (what some are calling free time) and a 20-25 minute lunch. Last school I was at had 8 periods of 45 minute duration. I had 7th period plan and that was it. I did, for two year period teach at a school where we had 52 minute classes and I got 52 minutes of planning. I felt like I had hit the jackpot and was incredibly sad when we moved.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
No point in sending my child to school then. I thought schools were supposed to teach reading.
You and your kind are the problem.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Where in the heck are you located? I want to transfer there.
The Chicago area. Teachers are ridiculously overpaid here, too. And their pensions are usually worth around $2 million. That, and other out-of-control state and local government spending, is why Illinois is virtually bankrupt.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sorry when I worked in corporate I did not work overtime and evenings and weekends year round.
We did it when it was necessary like when a project is running behind schedule.

For teachers this is their norm. I got paid 4x in corporate and my time was my own during the day for the most part.

I worked 7-3 with nights and weekends off for MOST of the time. It was not the norm as you point out.
Maybe it is in your job but it never was in mine and I was a software engineer for a big multi-national for over 20 years. And with those crunches came financial awards and extra time off because we were salaried with no OT.
No, working year round is not the norm for teachers. They get a two week Christmas vacation guaranteed plus a week Spring Break plus the entire summer off. If they choose to work summer school they get extra pay for that.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Schools don't fail children......parents do

Let's cut through the bull here.

It's hard to fail any HS course. Really hard. The level of apathy required to pull off an F is staggering.

A kid has to do something besides breathe and act up in class in order to make it. But not much more.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Fed dollars have a strong hold on the schools. Failure and excessive absences lead to less $$$ coming to schools.
Schools don't want to lose their money so guess what ?

There's a multitude of problems with education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies