Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Wow. This email exchange is quite entertaining. Evidently, the WH is quite sensitive about their colossal failure in Libya regarding the death of our Ambassador and three other Americans along with the failure to secure sensitive documents.

When someone screws up, they frequently get aggressive and try to shift the focus to non issues.

Pathetic.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpoli...er-to-****-off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
This reporter was Rolling Stone reporter Michael Hastings he's one of the best.

He cares nothing about "becoming friends" with people in power, and wants only the truth to come out.

If you are a reporter and you are not writing stuff that pisses people in power off....you are not worth a damn.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:41 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Page has been removed. I'd love to see it. Alas, gone!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Here is a much better link

State department attacks CNN for doing basic journalism | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,615 times
To me, the questions is whether or not Stevens actually voiced his concerns to the State Dept and was ignored or (less likely) if he just wrote it in his journal and they had no idea of his fears...

Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
This just adds to the continuing unfolding story that the US is not successful in Libya as they claim to be.
CNN is airing State Dept dirty laundry and the State Dept and other Dems are lashing out.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
To me, the questions is whether or not Stevens actually voiced his concerns to the State Dept and was ignored or (less likely) if he just wrote it in his journal and they had no idea of his fears...
We don't know that. And the State Dept is certainly not going to admit it if he did would they ?
Not now after his death.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
This is very damaging for the obama administration...

Old 09-24-2012, 04:01 PM

305 posts, read 553,559 times
Default State Department in Meltdown Over - Tells Reporter to F* Off

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-****-off.html

State Department Aide Tells Reporter to ‘**** Off’

I've never seen a government official get quite this testy with a reporter. According to BuzzFeed, Clinton aide Philippe Reines sent quite the stream of profanity to one of their reporters:

On Sunday morning, BuzzFeed correspondent Michael Hastings emailed Philippe Reines, Hillary Clinton's longtime aide and personal spokesman at the State Department, asking a series of pointed questions about State's handling of the Benghazi fiasco, and Reines' over-the-top attack on CNN. The emails quickly got personal, with Reines calling Hastings an "unmitigated *******" before an exchange of harsh words on both sides.

Really, you need to read the whole thing. To be sure, Hastings was being quite provoking. But I'm not sure what Reines was thinking. There is virtually no situation in which telling a reporter to **** off is going to enhance your image. Like most people who spend a lot of time in the public eye, I have been provoked into hauling out the howitzers a few times in my career. And I have regretted doing so more than once. But to the best of my memory, I have never actually aimed them at my own head as unerringly as Reines seems to have done.

And while Hastings was being rather agressive, he was asking real questions that Americans have the right to know the answer to. I'm not sure what I think of CNN's decision to use Ambassador Stevens's diary, but there is no "fruit of the poison tree" restriction on journalists using information that has leaked, even if you question the leaker's ethics.

The information revealed in that diary—that Stevens was worried about the security situation in Benghazi for months before the attack—does seem to raise questions about what he was doing there unprotected, and reporter Michael Hastings was right to ask those questions, even if I personally would have used a much less aggressive tone.

Getting outraged about the violation of Stevens' privacy does not relieve the administration's obligation to explain how this happened. And losing your temper with a reporter just makes it seem like the questions are hitting a little too close to home.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I am sure he voiced his concerns to the state dept! If you were on a Al Qaeda hit list what would you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies