Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bath salt zombie View Post
There's a difference between someone who converts to Judaism (Ethopians) and someone born Jewish. I really don't think the later group cares much for the former. Why do you think you see requests for Jewish egg donors?
There's been Jews in Ethopia since the BC period. They aren't recent converts--it's been a longstanding culture going back well over a couple thousand years. While they consider themselves Jews, they look as black as other Ethiopians. The roots of the community go back much further than many of the Russian Jews who immigrate to Israel with dubious Jewish roots. You say the later doesn't care for the former, yet the Isrealis though allowed and encouraged the migration of basically the entire Ethopian Jewish population to Israel... Why? Simply based on the shared Jewish faith.

Who's a real Jew? You can consider Jews an ethnicity, however there's many different ethnicities that consdier themselves Jews. The diaspora has had two thousand years to intermix with the cultures and ethnicities of wherever they ended up. Look at the varations of Sephardic Jews vs. Ashkenazi Jews or the various Mizrahi Jewish groups who immigrated from the Middle East to Israel and make up half the Jewish population of Israel--and look like Arabs in terms of appearence. As well as the often poorer Mizrahi Jews facing discrimination from the European-descended Ashkenazi that dominate in Israel--despite the fact that the Mizrahi are probably closer in terms of ethnicity to the Semitic roots of the original Jews.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-16-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
Simply because some cultures are superior to others.

Culture is the starting point and the upper boundaries in which an individual's potential is based.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
anyone besides me think that the Jewish people are successfull today because of several thousand years of persecution and deprivation?

They have had to stick together and to push to success or they would have long since ceased to exist as a people.
As the saying goes, that which does not kill you can only make you stronger.

Personally I dont know how Jewish people survived the middle ages with an intact idenity.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Hebrew school. Learning hebrew. Most jews spend 2 days a week learning hebrew for their bar or bas mitzvah.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What is Jewish people to you? An ethnicity? A race? A religious collective? Then we can proceed to apply your statement accordingly.
To me it is a religion...but if you look at history than many evil people looked at it as a race....

Btw I'm not a practicing Jew but it seems that my entire family has kept a lot of traditions and values that many Jewish people have and share with people with other religions who share these values...most of them happen to be republicans and not all of them are what lefties call "right wingers".

Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
anyone besides me think that the Jewish people are successfull today because of several thousand years of persecution and deprivation?

They have had to stick together and to push to success or they would have long since ceased to exist as a people.
As the saying goes, that which does not kill you can only make you stronger.

Personally I dont know how Jewish people survived the middle ages with an intact idenity.
I believe it is partially still because of that...and than you have the part that jewish people don't believe in life after death so blosing themselves up is not getting them anything!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why Are Jews So Powerful

There are only 14 million Jews in the world; seven million in the Americas , five million in Asia, two million in Europe and 100,000 in Africa . For every single Jew in the world there are 100 Muslims. Yet, Jews are more than a hundred times more powerful than all the Muslims put together. Ever wondered why?

Please click on the link to read the entire article.
The power of personal preference, enhanced over thousands of years.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Well, I have met Jews from all ends of the spectrum. Most of the Jews I know, do not vote Democrat. Of course I am in the south, not in NYC . . .
I live in the South and I am Jewish and I will be voting Democrat this election...at least in the Presidential race. The fact is that most jews vote democrat. Do you need a cite?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times
Jews are powerful because they help their own people a lot in every single way they can. Many of them are also educated and have been taught from an early age of how to deal with $$.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically for the same reason many ethnic groups are more powerful and sucessful than others.Different groups value and propmoter different things as valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies