Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,239,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You obviously dont understand that mathematics, which is what an algorithm is, cannot be tweaked one way or another to lean either way.
In other words, no matter how much one tries, 2+2 will always=4.
I honestly dont understand what you dont get about this, math is the universal language.
Perhaps you didnt study it in school?
Chey, I like you, please dont make me disprove your "theories", I've had waaaay too many years of advanced math, and I have an engineer leaning over my shoulder right now that would love to commandeer the keyboard right now to tell you whats what.
Google Algorithm Changes: Google Just Released The Big Lists For August And September:

"Google has finally posted its big list(s) of algorithm changes for the past two months. Google was steadily putting them out on a monthly basis until last time, when they waited two months to put out two months’ worth of changes. It appears that this is becoming a trend."

Google Gives Big Content an Olive Branch in Search Algorithm Change:

"Google will begin altering its search algorithm this week to lower search rankings of sites with “high numbers” of copyright-infringement removal notices."

"What’s more, Google’s newly added “signal” to its closely held search algorithm shows that the company has grown beyond just being a search giant."

You were saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,062,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Google Algorithm Changes: Google Just Released The Big Lists For August And September:

"Google has finally posted its big list(s) of algorithm changes for the past two months. Google was steadily putting them out on a monthly basis until last time, when they waited two months to put out two months’ worth of changes. It appears that this is becoming a trend."

Google Gives Big Content an Olive Branch in Search Algorithm Change:

"Google will begin altering its search algorithm this week to lower search rankings of sites with “high numbers” of copyright-infringement removal notices."

"What’s more, Google’s newly added “signal” to its closely held search algorithm shows that the company has grown beyond just being a search giant."

You were saying?
I cant look at either one of those articles, due to my antivirus software, Kaspersky, telling me there is malware and a virus attached to both your links.
You might wish to upgrade your virus protection, as well as upgrading your comprehension that an algorithm simply does a search based on the keywords or phrases you enter.
Whats next, FEMA camps?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I cant look at either one of those articles, due to my antivirus software, Kaspersky, telling me there is malware and a virus attached to both your links.
You might wish to upgrade your virus protection, as well as upgrading your comprehension that an algorithm simply does a search based on the keywords or phrases you enter.
Whats next, FEMA camps?
How convenient.

Can you get yahoo?

Webmasters Reeling over Latest Google Algorithm Updates:

"Why is Google updating their search algorithms so aggressively? According to Matt Cutts, the aim of the updates is to help eradicate low quality sites from showing up in prominent places in search engine results. However, Google’s view of what constitutes quality is subjective..."

If not, you can find your own sources. The fact remains google tweaks their algorithms.

The part of your post I bolded is exactly how algorithms work. While 2 + 2 will always = 4 as you stated, you can indeed change algorithms - which I've said all along.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,062,347 times
Quote:
How convenient.

Can you get yahoo?

Webmasters Reeling over Latest Google Algorithm Updates:

"Why is Google updating their search algorithms so aggressively? According to Matt Cutts, the aim of the updates is to help eradicate low quality sites from showing up in prominent places in search engine results. However, Google’s view of what constitutes quality is subjective..."

If not, you can find your own sources. The fact remains google tweaks their algorithms.

The part of your post I bolded is exactly how algorithms work. While 2 + 2 will always = 4 as you stated, you can indeed change algorithms - which I've said all along.
Do you really not understand how an anti-virus program works?
Really?
I cant make it tell me that a site is safe, can you?
Anyway, you seem unable to grasp the fact that an algorithm will only feed back what you put into it.
Also, the question begs asking, why are you unable to answer any of my queries without having to pull up a link?
This is one of my favorite pet peeves, actually, and it has nothing to do with our debate, it has to do with education.
I'm not trying to flame you, I am actually trying to point something out.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 10-20-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,648,599 times
CheyDee, it won't let me rep you again. LOL.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
You obviously dont understand that mathematics, which is what an algorithm is, cannot be tweaked one way or another to lean either way.
In other words, no matter how much one tries, 2+2 will always=4.
I honestly dont understand what you dont get about this, math is the universal language.
Perhaps you didnt study it in school?
Chey, I like you, please dont make me disprove your "theories", I've had waaaay too many years of advanced math, and I have an engineer leaning over my shoulder right now that would love to commandeer the keyboard right now to tell you whats what.
Quote:
Do you really not understand how an anti-virus program works?
Really?
I can t make it tell me that a site is safe, can you?
Anyway, you seem unable to grasp the fact that an algorithm will only feed back ewhat you put into it.
Also, the question begs asking, why are you unable to answer any of my queries without having to pull up a link?
This is one of my favorite pet peeves, actually, and it has nothing to do with our debate, it has to do with education.
I'm not trying to flame you, I am actually trying to point something out.
I can go around my anti-virus, but wouldn't. That's why I provided yet another link, (the yahoo one). Regardless, you could find your own, if you don't like mine.

I post links to support my statement(s)/position(s), which makes it easier for people to reference.

You went from saying an algorithm "cannot be tweaked one way or another to lean either way" to admitting you can tweak it, but used a lot of words to get there. It's what I've been saying all along.

We're getting way off topic here and I think the points has been clearly made: (1) Google does indeed lean left and (2) Google can and does change their algorithms.

ETA: Thanks, Annie!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,698,431 times
Quote:
Do you???

Google and “The Left” Connection

"As Google Chairman Eric Schmidt prepared to face a grilling today before the Senate Judiciary Committee’s antitrust subcommittee, some media outlets were reporting that Google is trying to broaden its political connections. As it faces antitrust scrutiny for its business practices, the company appears to be trying to shed its longtime reputation as a liberal company tied at the hip to the Obama campaign/administration. In spite of these politically expedient moves to make overtures to the right and perhaps protect itself by making free market claims, facts speak louder than words." [More here.]

Left wing bias in 'googling'

"So, everyone knows that Google, like most tech companies, is left leaning, right? Well, you all know that Microsoft is behind MSNBC, right? And you know that Al Gore sits on the Board of Apple Computer, right?" [More here.]
You are absolutely correct, and quite frankly, anyone who didn't already know that is.......well....let's just say showing how little they do know, in spite of what they want everyone to think. Going around accusing everyone else of being ignorant and sarcastically saying things like, "you don't know how things work blah blah," and, "upgrade your comprehension," is a sure sign of them. They just don't seem to know how silly they are.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:36 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,648,599 times
Quote:
Maybe it will in the recipe forum.
? Silly comment. You lose credibility.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,698,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
? Silly comment. You lose credibility.
It's the typical crap deflection. And not even good examples, truthfully.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,872,776 times
Quote:
Speaking of deflection, why are you not getting busy answering my query of just how an algorithm works without supporting links?
You can do that, cant you?

I didn't think libs wanted people to WORK.

Why else would they think Obama is a GOD when unemployment is basically the same as when he took office, food stamp use is at an all time high, the poverty rate is higher and the middle class is earning thousands less?

Libs seem to like it that people are out of work. They can find their own answers if you don't like the way things are. They have plenty of time if they are unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies