Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Smoking Cool?
Yes 19 19.19%
No 80 80.81%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times

Advertisements

I don't know that I ever thought it was cool. With me, it was more a rebellion thing. Cigs were verboten in my childhood home and community, so once I reached 18 and went out on my own, I started smoking and didn't quit for 45 years. Now I vape.

Actually, I still smoke about 2-5 cigs a day, as opposed to the 2-3 packs a day I used to smoke. There's just something about those 2-5 cigs a day that makes the whole thing painless.

It's funny that certain brands used to be touted as being 'healthy'. I don't believe any of them are healthy, just like I don't believe they are as bad as current babble would have one believe. Vapors falling all over creation from jet fuel is far worse, imo. And NO, I'm not a Greenbot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
And let's make this clear. Only about 10% of smokers ever come down with a severe illness. You don't hear that from the anti smoking crowd. And I think all this hype about second and third hand smoking is just dumb.

But I don't smoke for me. Its a nasty habit, its incredibly expensive, and its just not for me anymore.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And let's make this clear. Only about 10% of smokers ever come down with a severe illness. You don't hear that from the anti smoking crowd. And I think all this hype about second and third hand smoking is just dumb.

But I don't smoke for me. Its a nasty habit, its incredibly expensive, and its just not for me anymore.
Oh, so true. I went to vaping when 0bama signed SCHIP. I will say my health improved within 2 weeks. Dramatically. So yes, smoking is not healthy, but the stupidity and expense outweighs the health aspect.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Look at an image of someone with lung cancer. Still cool?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
Yeah, women who are 40 but look 55,with a "smoker's voice" are sooo cool. Leathery skin, chronic cough. Yellow teeth. Stinky. Sexy, yup.

Same for men.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Having spent months nursing and watching two special people in my life die from lung cancer I can tell you there is nothing 'cool' about smoking. When they both started society didn't know how bad cigarette smoking is on your health and now that we do know, I just don't get why young people start in. James Dean (movie start back in the 50s) was directly responsible for my relatives starting (the cool factor) so I especially have no respect for celebrities who smoke in public now. They do influence young people to follow suit.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Because smoking always causes lung cancer (actually its about 5% of smokers ghat contract lung cancer)

Oh and because people who've never smoked, never get lung cancer (about 2% of that population will get lung cancer )

Like I said, smoking isn't for me, but I'm not going to spread myths to make me feel better about my decision.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Secondhand smoke puts kids in the emergency room all the time if they are prone to asthma. I had to quit going to bars back when smoking was allowed because every time I went and sucked in secondhand smoked I'd spend the wee hours of the night in emergency. Secondhand smoking dangers are real. I think I agree with you about third hand smoking. That seems far-fetched.

Quote:
Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States,2 accounting for approximately 443,000 deaths, or 1 of every 5 deaths, in the United States each year.3,4
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...a/cig_smoking/

Old 10-28-2012, 07:33 AM

811 posts, read 810,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
or see my Grandmother's grave
smoking is not cool, it's a bad and deadly habit to get hooked on

Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Secondhand smoke puts kids in the emergency room all the time if they are prone to asthma. I had to quit going to bars back when smoking was allowed because every time I went and sucked in secondhand smoked I'd spend the wee hours of the night in emergency. Secondhand smoking dangers are real. I think I agree with you about third hand smoking. That seems far-fetched.

What percentage of those who are around second hand smoke contract asthma. What's the average for the population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies