Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the definition of marriage?
A natural union of one man and one woman for purposes of procreation and mutual help. 29 20.42%
. A natural union of one man and one woman for purposes of recreational sex. 1 0.70%
. A religious union of one man and one woman for purposes determined by the religion of the spouses. 9 6.34%
Either A, or C, or both. 11 7.75%
A legal union of one man and one woman established for the good of society. 3 2.11%
A legal union of two consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose. 54 38.03%
A legal union of two or more consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose. 22 15.49%
Whatever the majority of voters in a true democracy decide that it is at any given time. 1 0.70%
Whatever the law decrees that it is at any given time. 12 8.45%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times

Advertisements

OP...you really seem to be fixated on this stuff. Is it because you have repressed urges or that you are in an unfulfilling marriage and need to blame on the gay couple down the block?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No, the presence of love does not mean qualify as a mariage but the absence of love makes a marriage impossible.
It's true that married people are actually commanded to love each other. Christian marriage ceremonies extract a promise of love from the spouses. But the absence of love doesn't invalidate a marriage any more than the absence of love invalidates parenthood.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Only the Church after an investigation can declare a marriage annulled. The state can then authorize a legal divorce.
Not everyone believes in your version of "the church ". In fact, most denominations believe that their church is "the
church" Who gets to decide which church is THE church?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not everyone believes in your version of "the church ". In fact, most denominations believe that their church is "the
church" Who gets to decide which church is THE church?
In that case, I suppose we'll have to fight this out democratically.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
In that case, I suppose we'll have to fight this out democratically.
Or we could follow the constitution, and keep religion and government separate treat all American citizens equally under the law, and let churches decide who they will have a religious ceremony for.

See it is already figured out.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Or we could follow the constitution, and keep religion and government separate treat all American citizens equally under the law, and let churches decide who they will have a religious ceremony for.

See it is already figured out.
No, it isn't already figured out or there wouldn't be any controversy. States have every right to make laws with religious justifications and have been doing so from day one. That's why we have monogamous and not polygamous marriage today.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM

990 posts, read 939,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Can't rep you again, but wanted to give you a for that one! How arrogant to think one should be able to redefine an institution thousands of years rich with tradition and meaning and purpose, simply because you want to .
Oh, so you mean when they outlawed polygamy?
Or when they invented the Anglican church to allow a King to divorce?

Or how about the fact that if your silly cult wishes to define marriage as a union between man and woman strictly for reproductive reasons it's your right as an American?

Allowing gay marriage or a marriage between more than 2 CONSENTING adults does nothing to the primitive cult you belong to and its definiton of marriage, it just allows people to receive the many legal benefits of marriage that have been forced into our tax code and numerous other laws.

I'm straight and I would never want to marry more than one woman (my GF is having enough trouble getting me to ask her to marry me, I'm still holding out until I'm ready to have kids), but I don't see why you religious nuts care about what others do when it's not sanctioned by your religion anyway.

And let me guess, you home school your kids because you don't agree with the teachings of a public school because it's not overtly-religious like you prefer. You want your kids to be fully indoctrinated and brainwashed into your cult so they can't ever think for themselves, right?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't already figured out or there wouldn't be any controversy. States have every right to make laws with religious justifications and have been doing so from day one. That's why we have monogamous and not polygamous marriage today.
14th amendment. Which part of ALL American citizens do you not understand?

Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM

112 posts, read 123,519 times
Quote:
Only the Church after an investigation can declare a marriage annulled. The state can then authorize a legal divorce.
You missed a step. Who makes the call that the childless-by-choice couple is not, in fact, trying their god-willed hardest to procreate? Does finding a condom wrapper in the trash launch an investigation, or do condoms even exist in this world of yours? Who's keeping these people honest, WP?

Old 10-30-2012, 04:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Actually it's probable that large numbers of legal marriages today are not valid. Couples who enter marriage with one eye on the door (as evidenced by pre-nups, separate bank accounts, etc.) have not contracted a valid marriage. Those who have divorced and remarried without annulment have not contracted a valid marriage. Those who have closed their marriages to children have not contracted a valid marriage.

But for the good of society, we should still make a presumption of validity. That is, it should be assumed that a legal marriage is a valid marriage. The question before us is whether we want to make this problem worse by adding another invalid category to legal marriages.
My parents have been married for nearly 30 years and have always had separate bank accounts. Their marriage is just as valid as anyone elses.

Also, should I be barred from ever getting married because I can't bear children? Because I cannot conceive I should not be able to marry the man I love? That's BS. Your religion has NOTHING TO DO with the way I live my life so please keep your big religious nose out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies