Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Vote every incumbant out. but that will never happen as long as people vote party line.
And replace them with who?

Obama was not part of the incumbent party - and he had very little experience. You just can't put anyone up on a podium/teleprompter and say "good enough".

Ultimately where we are right now is at the fault of the people. Party system is easy. People want easy - many don't want to think. Government has gotten so big and complicated, it's hard to get a grasp of everything - so just give me an R or a D and let me get back to American Idol or whatever the latest talent show is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
you have it backward pal, Obama snubbed the Republicans within his first week in office, with his "I won" comment, as the republicans were trying to work with him. Then the democrats shut the Republicans out completely with their closed door meetings.

Reid would not even work with Obama. Did Reid ever get a federal budget to Obama's desk for signature, even when the dems controlled EVERYTHING? No.
Many jobs' bills passed in the House - stalled in the Senate.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
Dirty Harry has already said anything done by Mitt and the G.O.P. is D.O.A.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Last I checked, Ron Paul is part of the Republican party. If you get party money, you are in the party. I don't see that as a cycle breaker.
Like I said: someone who is not into the partisan games, and Ron Paul is not into partisan games. I don't care about the fact that he is technically an "R".

Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
It actually makes little difference who is President. The split is between the Repubs in the house and the Dems in the Senate. No strongly partisan agenda can flourish in such an environment.

It will take compromise which the Repubs would not make in the last house. See the credit downgrade from what was a purely political action.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I said: someone who is not into the partisan games, and Ron Paul is not into partisan games. I don't care about the fact that he is technically an "R".
So you can overlook the party system as long as he agrees with you? OR does he need to be a rebel within his own party?

This is one guy still in a party - I don't see how this breaks a cycle.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It actually makes little difference who is President. The split is between the Repubs in the house and the Dems in the Senate. No strongly partisan agenda can flourish in such an environment.

It will take compromise which the Repubs would not make in the last house. See the credit downgrade from what was a purely political action.
I wouldn't say it makes little difference, since presidents do have some ability to set the agenda (e.g. DADT repeal wouldn't have gone anywhere if McCain had been president).

But basically yeah. A strongly partisan agenda has no chance of survival. A moderate agenda has little chance of survival. We've spent the last four years (and especially the last two) with a GOP that behaves in a hyper-partisan manner and actively tries to harm the country to score political points. There would be some sense of satisfaction from Reid refusing to work with Romney on anything. In reality, they'd probably work together if Moderate Mitt showed up in January. But then Romney would have to deal with the Tea Party traitors in the house. If he caves to the Tea Party, then absolutely Reid and the Democrats are not going to work with him, nor should they.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Compromise only works one way??

The House passed jobs bills that stalled in the Senate. Obama repeated said he wanted jobs, so the House acted - why did not the Senate act on the bills sent to them?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
This statement presupposes that he works at all - still waiting on those budgets from the past few years.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:

The repubs did compromise, they gave Obama his $1.5 trillion deficit continuing resolution, the non-stop federal deficit spending is what caused us to lose our credit rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies