Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM

192 posts, read 250,627 times

Advertisements

I've waited 17 years for some action against GE food. This is the least we sould be doing.

Yes on Prop 37

The people shouldn't have to be held responsible for KNOWing all the underhanded, dangerous things they need to avoid. Besides the bio-tech companies go to great lengths to hide their activities.

We told them we didn't want GMO's. They had 17 years to create labling their way, before we demanded it (after 17 years)

We waited 17 years to get labeling; let's not pass up the opportunity.

"37 - fraught with problems" That's not our problem. When at first you practice to deceive...." They shouldn't have EVER started genetically altering OUR food, and they could've predicted the public wouldn't want it(actually, there were polls taken).

They knew; but money blinded them. Now their spending $40 million of the billions they have, into ads against labeling, and to bribe newspapers into writing anti-labeling op/eds.

Bio-manipulation causes MORE problems, and it's unethical and illegal to do it against the public's will(The US was 80% against this when it started in 1995).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
I've waited 17 years for some action against GE food. This is the least we sould be doing.
then wait till the Federal Govt mandates it. It doesn't belong as an issue to states. It'll raise food costs to those who live in the state, because manufactureres need to make "special" labels for food to be sold there.

Quote:
Yes on Prop 37
Vote No on Prop 37. The cost to implement the program that only "benefits" one state is wasted effort for farmers, manufacturers, packaging, and advertising. That cost shift would only hurt those that live in that state.

This should be a national driven initiative.

There is nothing good about this proposition except to already make it MORE expensive to live in California.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
then wait till the Federal Govt mandates it. It doesn't belong as an issue to states. It'll raise food costs to those who live in the state, because manufactureres need to make "special" labels for food to be sold there.

Vote No on Prop 37. The cost to implement the program that only "benefits" one state is wasted effort for farmers, manufacturers, packaging, and advertising. That cost shift would only hurt those that live in that state.

This should be a national driven initiative.

There is nothing good about this proposition except to already make it MORE expensive to live in California.
So save on costs, manufacturers are likely to label all products sold outside of California, especially if its a national brand like what you see stocked in Walmart. Vote yes

Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Surprisingly I'm not in favor of this. Labels, signs, info, blablabla have become environmental pollution and nobody pays attention anymore and it's BS for the most part. It reminds me of that old song "Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs, fracking up the scenery, breakin' my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign".

But then "genetically engineered" are not words that scare me.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

I'm a conservative, but even on this issues I see the benefit of KNOWING when the food is GE and currently they can get labels of fresh and maybe even organic with GE food. Better to not allow that IMO.

Just came from the polls in Norwalk where I walked in and voted.

No on all new taxes and yes on 32.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Good luck with that. Couldn't even get COOL labeling on anything more than raw butcher meat and fresh vegetables/fruit.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM

1,403 posts, read 938,216 times
I really hope this passes.I wish people understood the poison they put in their food.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So save on costs, manufacturers are likely to label all products sold outside of California, especially if its a national brand like what you see stocked in Walmart. Vote yes

again, you fail to understand: Even the National brands have to "follow" this law (and some national brands actually package their food in California). And the law is so arbitrary that it doesn't even "help" you get educated on anything.

Dog food can be labeled as "genetically engineered" food, but the meat you get from the butcher (from cows who eat genetically engineered hay, and grain), will not be labeled.

so, the cost shift will happen.

This needs to be a FEDERAL level / National level law . not done by a state to only penalize the citizens of that state.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I'm a conservative, but even on this issues I see the benefit of KNOWING when the food is GE and currently they can get labels of fresh and maybe even organic with GE food. Better to not allow that IMO.

Just came from the polls in Norwalk where I walked in and voted.

No on all new taxes and yes on 32.

^_^ I voted "NO" to any new taxes. I did vote yes on "32" despite all the dumb commercials that say what it doesn't do and to vote no. I read the damn proposition.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Surprisingly I'm not in favor of this. Labels, signs, info, blablabla have become environmental pollution and nobody pays attention anymore and it's BS for the most part. It reminds me of that old song "Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs, fracking up the scenery, breakin' my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign".

But then "genetically engineered" are not words that scare me.
You never Ceece to amaze me.

I detest Monsanto and it's policies and business activities, not the technology and science behind their seeds. Fear-mongering about GMOs is akin to being afraid electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies