Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It's ridiculous, this poster claimed that he was giving at least $10,000 a year. Again a person who is giving that much to charity is very, very dedicated. That giving has nothing to do with government policy or who is elected President. The idea that such a person would stop giving because of an election is flat out silly.
I'm still giving to charity, but that salvation army money will go to fight cancer and heart disease instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Talking points? That's funny. I'm talking about from my own perspective, I always give hundreds to the salvation army and good will, because i grew up very poor, and have always felt I needed to help out people who were like me. but when i see these last four years, and 0bama spends SIX TRILLION DOLLARS in new debt, and we still create 15 million more poor??? Then I know he does not care for the poor, he has some other agenda that is more important to him, and is happy to create more poor, as long as he gives them scraps from the table.
Yes, you are repeating are talking points. Most of which are not true.

I didn't say you didn't give to the salvation army. So why bring it up?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
I'm still giving to charity, but that salvation army money will go to fight cancer and heart disease instead.
I was referring to the thread originator. Since you didn't write that you stopped giving $10,000 a year to charity, I have no idea why you believe I was referring to you.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Anyone who cancels contributions based solely on the outcome of an election is an idiot. But, anyone who doesn't pay attention to the upcoming tax increases and fails to take them into consideration when planning their future contributions is likewise an idiot.

DH and I are ending our 2% per paycheck contributions to United Way on January 1 since Social Security taxes will revert to normal. That was always our plan. The 2% was just an extra contribution we could afford during the cut. What I don't know yet is how much (if any) we'll need to cut back on other charitable contributions. That will depend on how our taxes come out next year. Any increase in taxes will come out of contributions not retirement or other savings. I, unlike the government, do not own a printing press and have to balance my budget based on my current earnings, expenses and financial priorities. If that means less money contributed to charity, so be it.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I have to wander why the Op quites giivng if he indeed ever was . At least her you can esaily give to middle class workig families who do not egt anhyhtig from governamnt but say have a sick child or the father had cancer and numerous bills that the mothers working will not cover.I this econmy you do npot have to help some stranger you think is just collectig the max benefits from government.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The poor supported Obama, which will result in the destruction of the nation, altering the lives of everyone in the US forever.

I had previously been a DeToqueville Society member of the United Way, donating fairly substantial sums. I cancelled my donations yesterday. I refuse to provide monetary support to people who destroyed the nation. I guess they can get all thier money from Obama.

I had two scholarships to the local Catholic High School and one to our state university- cancelled. To hell with Obama supporters.
This is the second whiney thread from you since the election results. What a SORE PATHETIC LOSER you are. Your family must be proud.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Quote:
Anecdotal, but I've heard similar things expressed by people who voted for 0bama. They think there will some secret, or special sweet deals coming their way if 0bama is elected. Either they think they might get loans forgiven, or easier access to some governmental assistance program, or more government funded scholarships, or affirmative action benefits, or more cool green energy rebates, or free health care they won't have to pay for.

It's all about what they think they might get, or a hushed rumor of what they might get. So to them, it does not matter if the economy remains stagnant, the debt rises, and unemployment remains high, or even if war breaks out in the Mid East, because they are assuming they will be unaffected by any of it, and they might even benefit in some way.
As long as Republicans continue to cling to the spurious belief that the only reason people voted for Obama was because they wanted a handout, they will continue to see results like this last election.
Keep marginalizing and denigrating half of the country and wonder all the while why they don't support your party.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Can we start with Reagan International Airport? George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport can be second, and... let's see... we could sell the naming rights for the Eisenhower tunnel after that.

OHHH WAIT! You probably mean just the buildings named after LIBERAL politicians. Silly me!
you know what they say about people who assume something?

no, i meant ALL politicians and ALL buildings named after politicians.

rename them ALL.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
I've noticed that the OP has disappeared. I wonder if he has been committed or is now appearing as the new poster Dr.X?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
As long as Republicans continue to cling to the spurious belief that the only reason people voted for Obama was because they wanted a handout, they will continue to see results like this last election.
Keep marginalizing and denigrating half of the country and wonder all the while why they don't support your party.
there is no other LOGICAL reason to vote for obama other than a handout.

the economy was and is in shambles, no budgets were done, sequestration is coming (although denied by obama during the debate), wars were expanded, citizens were murdered, the patriot act was expanded, the giant obamacare tax was instituted, whistleblowers were punished, social service costs are WAY up, and illegal immigration was and is unchecked-all the while the party talks about "the working man".

give me a break.

the only people who would vote for MORE OF THAT are those who are in desperate times, or in need of a government handout of some sort. this election proves that the economy is even worse than we have been told, even with all those statistic "modifications" that keep occurring.

we understand what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies