Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFreeSpirit View Post
Who was it that said Just imagine how much healthcare is gonna cost when its free!
Probably as much as it costs in Europe, Australia or Canada which is about half of what we pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Libs will just say: "Your child doesn't really NEED braces, does he/she?"
Yes. Then they will say their child DOES need them and they are going to take money away from YOU, to pay for them.

The liberal way: I want, but I want you to pay for it.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree with Obamacare but I am not (and never have been) naive enough to think that the cost to businesses would not be passed to the consumer. That's how it works. A business person has expenses and they are paid for by charging for the goods or services that business produces. If a company has to put out more money because health insurance premiums increase due to the healthcare act, than I would fully expect those cost to be passed to the consumer. That's how it works, that's how it always works, no surprise there.

What I find ridiculous is that most of Obamacare doesn't go into effect until 2014. Some parts of it have started happening but I've read numerous links/studies that have stated that any increases in healthcare costs *today* are not the result of Obamacare but due to the usual upward trend of medical costs.

It irritates me that this dentist or orthodontist is having a political tantrum and doing something like this. I doubt each customer needs to be charged $50 extra dollars. Even if they did, I doubt that he's even realized those costs yet or even knows what they will be. But it's a free country and nothing trumps his right to be an idiotic a$$.
But it's a free country and nothing trumps his right to gouge his clients

Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree with Obamacare but I am not (and never have been) naive enough to think that the cost to businesses would not be passed to the consumer. That's how it works. A business person has expenses and they are paid for by charging for the goods or services that business produces. If a company has to put out more money because health insurance premiums increase due to the healthcare act, than I would fully expect those cost to be passed to the consumer. That's how it works, that's how it always works, no surprise there.

What I find ridiculous is that most of Obamacare doesn't go into effect until 2014. Some parts of it have started happening but I've read numerous links/studies that have stated that any increases in healthcare costs *today* are not the result of Obamacare but due to the usual upward trend of medical costs.

It irritates me that this dentist or orthodontist is having a political tantrum and doing something like this. I doubt each customer needs to be charged $50 extra dollars. Even if they did, I doubt that he's even realized those costs yet or even knows what they will be. But it's a free country and nothing trumps his right to be an idiotic a$$.
The consumer will get that tax if they purchase that device.
The device tax starts 1/1/2013 and with taxes paid quarterly they need to have that money in hand to pay.

Recall that we needed a few years of tax to have money available for the pools.
And bits and pieces of Obamacare have come in effect each year since it was passed.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM

126 posts, read 89,796 times
Can only imagine then why do over 500k Americans go overseas to see US trained doctors for 40% cheaper procedures...Foreign countries with US trained doctors,less regulation= much lower costs.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes. Then they will say their child DOES need them and they are going to take money away from YOU, to pay for them.

The liberal way: I want, but I want you to pay for it.
Exactly. After all it's not fair. So you will have to work two jobs now to pay for your kids and some other clown who isn't working kids braces. Utopia according to the loons.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The consumer will get that tax if they purchase that device.
The device tax starts 1/1/2013 and with taxes paid quarterly they need to have that money in hand to pay.

Recall that we needed a few years of tax to have money available for the pools.
And bits and pieces of Obamacare have come in effect each year since it was passed.
Then why is the dentist in the OP charging for the tax in 2012?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFreeSpirit View Post
Can only imagine then why do over 500k Americans go overseas to see US trained doctors for 40% cheaper procedures...Foreign countries with US trained doctors,less regulation= much lower costs.
Or go to Europe. Just as much regulation - maybe even more - and 50% lower costs.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,974,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
But it's a free country and nothing trumps his right to gouge his clients
So if a company incurs a $1 additional cost to provide the service or product that you get from them, and they charge you that extra $1, now its price gouging? You have no clue what that word even means if you honestly believe that. The other alternatives are:

1. Fire one or more employees to absorb the cost
2. Reduce the salary/wages/benefits for all employees to absorb the cost
3. Reduce your own take home pay if you are the business owner

Which would you pick? #3 I'm sure, right?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Then why is the dentist in the OP charging for the tax in 2012?
I went back and read the OP link..it does say "as of 1/1/2013".
This could be the software change to the billing systems.

Software changes months in advance of going live so it can be implemented and tested and deployed.
December is a bad month to do that because so many people take off...there is the "use it or lose it" vacation/personal days in the IT industry.

Most software work on big projects try to wrap up by Thanksgiving because there's just nobody around from Thanksgiving til next January.

I always seem to end up the year with about 2-3 weeks of days that I had to take.
After 20 years in the industry I had 6 weeks vacation + 5 personal days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies