Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christmas decorations be allowed and put in public places?
Yes 185 78.72%
No 23 9.79%
Only if other religious holidays symbols are put 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, and we celebrate Chanukah because it's a JEWISH HOLIDAY. What part of that is so confusing for you? I don't even really celebrate it, outside of maybe lighting the candles on a few nights, since I'm only semi-observant and have no children. I'm also not sure where you get the idea "anything to do with Christmas is banned" for our children... where on earth did you ever hear that? My parents allowed us to participate in Christmas concerts, parties, school projects, etc; and since my sister is now married to a Gentile, they celebrate BOTH Christmas and Chanukah (sans presents for the latter) in their home. You are so ill-informed it's actually amusing.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Christmas is a national holiday, so yes. But decorations ought not to take the form of religious proselytizing.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Halloween is partly a Christian holiday as well. It is not any other religions holiday that you celebrate non-religious, so why lying?

Halloween, or All Hallow's Eve is the day before All Saint's Day, which is about Saints.

Valentine is a Christian holiday too, the celebration of a Christian Saint named Saint Valentine.

Now, non-Christians tries to make these holidays secular as well...
Yes. non-Christians are holding onto these traditions without bringing along all the demonizing baggage that the religion, itself, brings. America is separating religion from culture. We're trying to get away from folklore, myths and fairy tales.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Just because others don't believe what you believe, or celebrate the way you do does not mean they hate Christmas or Christians.

No one is stopping you from calling a decorated tree a Christmas tree. No one is stopping you from displaying whatever religious decorations you want on your property. No one is telling you that you can't say merry Christmas.
Stop with the persecution complex.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Just because others don't believe what you believe, or celebrate the way you do does not mean they hate Christmas or Christians.

No one is stopping you from calling a decorated tree a Christmas tree. No one is stopping you from displaying whatever religious decorations you want on your property. No one is telling you that you can't say merry Christmas.
Stop with the persecution complex.
When these stops happening, then come back to me.

Gov. Scott Walkers Upsets Atheists, Changes Holiday Tree to Christmas Tree | TheBlaze.com

^ Atheists angry over renaming it back to 'Christmas tree' ^

Atheists’ ad blitz calls Christmas a myth - NorthJersey.com

^ Atheists putting up billboards calling Christmas a myth ^

Jewish lobby wages war on Christmas trees - Israel Jewish Scene, Ynetnews

^ Israeli government threatens restaurants and hotels over putting Christmas trees & symbols, despite Israel being home to Jesus Christ, and a holy place for Christians ^

http://www.thenewamerican.com/cultur...r-on-christmas

Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Oh WAIT! Schools celebrate Halloween! Creepy decorations all over the place, kids dress up in costumes, they have parades and Halloween dances, and trick or treating were I have to get up and give the little heathens candy!

Halloween should be banned! Separation of religion and state and all!
Yes, I brought that up in the other Christmas thread. A community celebration of any religion does NOT mean the community endorses that religion, any more than the public library carrying "Harry Potter" means the community endorses magic and witchcraft.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep I celebrate Halloween by dressing up taking my son trick or treating or passing out candy.
Easter I hide hand painted eggs and eat the ears off of all the chocolate bunnies in the house.

Why would you care how I spend my day? I don't care how you spend yours.
No one cares how you spend your day.

You seem to care how others spend their day, especially if they get all kinds of religious about it.

Easter's all about bunnies and eggs, ain't it? Gotta keep Jr from feeling left out. Make sure Jr. has that tree full of lights so he can lots of gifts for no reason either.

More deflection.

Got nothing to support your BS, do you?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I voted no, I'm not christian nor was I raised christian and if I go to a courthouse or other gov't facility I don't want to see nativity scenes et al, they belong on church property or private property NOT gov't property/facilities. I strongly believe in seperation of church and state. Do your worshiping at home or at your church. I don't celebrate any christian holidays or any other mainsteam religious holidays.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's sad that there are many orthodox Jews out there who have no knowledge of anything outside of their religion.
You added this after I quoted you earlier, so I'd like to ask something now... how much do you & your fellow Christians actually know about the Jewish religion/culture? Most of you think Chanukah is our only holiday, you even seem to think it's an anti-Christmas invention, and outside of that I bet you know very little. I've encountered sooooo much ignorance about Judaism over the years, it's actually quite astonishing and often amusing.

Do you have any interest in learning about our religious beliefs & traditions, or about those of Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc? The majority of Christians do NOT know or care, whereas we (non-Christians) tend to know almost TOO much about your religion. Proof being how angry you all get about multi-holiday displays, while you'd have the opposite reaction if you wanted to learn about other religions. So please spare us with that whole spiel, since it's really a comment better directed at the Christians in this country.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Personally I do and/or have, in a non-religious way, because I recognize & appreciate the universality in the underlying human sentiments many holidays have at their base.
You do it on your own or you were invited to celebrations of another faith, that you were just there to celebrate along with?

I've been to many as well.

I'm not Jewish, half of my family is, but we don't have bar/bat mitzvah's for our kids when they turn 13 just to have a party.

I've been to seders, we don't have our own, to celebrate the significance in a non-religious way.

We don't light a menorah either. Even though our nieces and nephews get 8 nights of gifts.

We've been to a Dastar Bandi celebration....don't to that on our own either.

I'm respectful of others religions and how they celebrate them. Could be once in a life time or annually.

Others apparently don't, and not when it comes to Christmas, and now Easter. They're only in it for the "fun" and "gift exchanges" and so Jr. doesn't feel left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies