Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christmas decorations be allowed and put in public places?
Yes 185 78.72%
No 23 9.79%
Only if other religious holidays symbols are put 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
The USA is partly a Christian country as it is not 100% secular. Very few countries are completely secular.
There is no such thing as "partly" when it comes to how a country is governed... the US is legally and technically a secular nation, regardless of the fact that Christianity has seeped in by default.

Quote:
No, businesses should be CLOSED on Sundays. Everyone should enjoy their day off together with no competition.
If we ALL have the same day off, how will anyone get stuff done on those days? Is everyone supposed to run all of their errands on a work day (tough if the errand keeps the same hours as your job), and just sit around twiddling their thumbs on Sundays? Totally illogical, and you'd probably just end up with people taking Monday off too - thus shortening our work week to 4 days.

But why Sunday specifically? You said your arguments have nothing to do with religion, so why can't business owners decide on another day instead? I don't care about spending the day off with strangers, and family obligations can always be arranged according to our respective schedules... most of the people I know work at least an occasional weekend anyway, so we're already used to having conflicting schedules from time to time. If something important is occurring on a Sunday, I/we can always request personal time off (and even get paid for it, since I'm salaried).

Anyway, I know we're diverting to the other thread's topic, but I just wanted to point out your hypocrisies here.

Quote:
A retail store is making more money on Sunday than on a Monday if they were open, so it is unfair.
LOL... it's "unfair" for a business to make more money? Since when?? I don't think you're really an American, if you believe profits should be restricted and regulated in such a manner. Seriously, wow.

If a non-retail business wants to compete, they always have the option of being open too. Do you think it's ONLY retailers who are open on Sundays now? Well, that would be totally false. I work almost every Sunday, in fact, and I am not in retail - so do many of my friends & family, none of whom are in retail either.

Quote:
I think that Israel should have Saturday and Sunday weekend (half day on Fridays), and keep retail stores closed on the Jewish sabbath. Anyways I don't care about that nation anymore.
Why do they need to have 2 1/2 days off? And I'm glad you don't care about Israel anymore, since having you on their side is actually an insult & detriment to the State.

Quote:
Regards to those quotes about the founding fathers. Back then, everybody mostly agreed with each other and nobody was attacking the Christian faith, showing ignorance, etc. and that's why they said that. They did not mention that hate speech should be allowed.
Typical short-sighted answer, not even considering that OTHER groups had to face "hate speech." Or do you only care about Christians? Don't answer that, we already know the answer is a big fat YES. Our founding fathers would weep at how you're speaking of our freedoms, and how incredibly misinformed you are about the meaning of free speech. I'm sure they knew what they were talking about, and wouldn't have supported limiting free speech for anyone.

P.S. If you think everyone got along for the first 100 years of our nation, you really REALLY need to go take a history class. Like ASAP.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-28-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 05:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If we ALL have the same day off, how will anyone get stuff done on those days?

But why Sunday specifically?.
How do European countries, Australia, Canada and others have time to shop when their stores usually close at 6 pm, and even shorter on Saturdays?

Well, in those countries, their workers receive plenty of paid days off for vacation, sick, holidays, etc. and that's when they shop.

Sunday is the day when least amount of people work, and is traditional a day of rest. Federal and state government are all closed on Sundays, including banks (except some TD banks being open for few hours) and post offices. Office 9-5 jobs are closes on Sundays. So what's left? Only retail stores, which includes restaurants, grocery stores, few libraries, entertainment, and pharmacies. Hospitals, TV/radio are obviously open and should.

Sundays are not like any other days. Even places being open on Sundays have reduced hours, and is not a regular day for the most part.

Last edited by Nunnor; 11-28-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
How do European countries, Australia, Canada and others have time to shop when their stores usually close at 6 pm, and even shorter on Saturdays?

Well, in those countries, their workers receive plenty of paid days off for vacation, sick, holidays, etc. and that's when they shop.

Sunday is the day when least amount of people work, and is traditional a day of rest. Federal and state government are all closed on Sundays, including banks (except some TD banks being open for few hours) and post offices. Office 9-5 jobs are closes on Sundays. So what's left? Only retail stores, which includes restaurants, grocery stores, entertainment, and pharmacies.

Sundays are not like any other days. Even places being open on Sundays have reduced hours, and is not a regular day for the most part.
Hospitals and various other forms of health care, recreation, TV/radio, and much more.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:

Sunday is the day when least amount of people work, and is traditional a day of rest. Federal and state government are all closed on Sundays, including banks (except some TD banks being open for few hours) and post offices. Office 9-5 jobs are closes on Sundays. So what's left? Only retail stores, which includes restaurants, grocery stores, entertainment, and pharmacies.

My public library is open Sunday. It's a government run facility.
My traditional day of rest is whenever I'm not working.
Sundays are my shopping days, since we only have one car, and there is no public transportation in the boonies.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
....Federal and state government are all closed on Sundays, including banks (except some TD banks being open for few hours) and post offices...
I purposely left my old bank and switched to TD Bank (then it was Commerce Bank) just BECAUSE of the Sunday hours. It is great to have a bank open on Sundays! I cant go during the week and with 3 small kids, Saturdays are usually too busy for me too. Sundays are perfect for stuff like that.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I purposely left my old bank and switched to TD Bank (then it was Commerce Bank) just BECAUSE of the Sunday hours. It is great to have a bank open on Sundays! I cant go during the week and with 3 small kids, Saturdays are usually too busy for me too. Sundays are perfect for stuff like that.

Me the opposite, I am NOT doing any business at all with TD Bank because they are open on Sundays and for longer hours, including most holidays (Good thing is they are closed for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas). I even called corporate and let them know that they are terrible and evil for being open on Sundays.

This is ridiculous as banks should NEVER be open on Sundays. I'm also against the banks and post offices being open on Saturdays too.

My cousins from Europe were surprised seeing banks open after 3 pm on weekdays and on Saturdays.
They were even surprised they were open the day before a holiday.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I think the day off should be Wednesday. A nice break in the middle of the week.
Funny. I think that's the only day stores should be open. Get families together on a daily basis, 24/7.

And watch the homicide rate soar.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:

Me the opposite, I am NOT doing any business at all with TD Bank because they are open on Sundays and for longer hours, including most holidays (Good thing is they are closed for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas). I even called corporate and let them know that they are terrible and evil for being open on Sundays.

This is ridiculous as banks should NEVER be open on Sundays. I'm also against the banks and post offices being open on Saturdays too.

My cousins from Europe were surprised seeing banks open after 3 pm on weekdays and on Saturdays.
They were even surprised they were open the day before a holiday.
You have family in Europe. You like their laws re curbing free speech. You like that there are official Christian nations. Why are you staying in this country with its disagreeable laws that aren't about to change?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You have family in Europe. You like their laws re curbing free speech. You like that there are official Christian nations. Why are you staying in this country with its disagreeable laws that aren't about to change?
There are many pros and cons of every country. Life's short, enjoy it (OUTSIDE WORK!)

Btw when this nations turn into more liberal, we will soon work less and have more holidays

Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 PM

328 posts, read 682,279 times
Why not, as long as it does not conflict with Sharia Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies