Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How did we ever survive those "terrible" times?!?

A lot of that applies to me. I remember drinking from the hose, riding a bike without a helmet and being out almost all day, among other things.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's totally fair.

The standard of society should be that religion is optional. If you want to practice religion, then do so on your own time as a private citizen. If you don't want to practice religion, then don't. You should not face any discrimination for it. Some of the worst societies in the world are the ones where they force religion upon you like a vise.
No one is dragging anyone to church but also people can't expect Christians to stop being Christian in the public square. Jews can't stop being Jews in the public square, etc, etc.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
I know people now think it is a more dangerous world than it was in the 50s or past decades only for the fact of the Internet and how a child can get online and be in contact with a pedofile in 2 minutes. That could never have happened before. Most people agree, including the most liberal person, that the world is more dangerous now with all our technology. It's great but it is invasive and children need to be protected from the world now, not just the play ground.
Um, yes it did. Just at church instead.

Children have always needed to be protected from predators.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
In the 50s the non-believers were very few. Most people went to church and were religious. Now that is falling off with the secular society moving in but I bet the atheist now would have been religious then. It's just "cool" now to be a non-believer. Atheists are actively working to recruit people and our schools are helping with banning the word God from the premises.
As with other things in life, I find the premise that people don't believe in God because it's "cool" to be utterly ridiculous and intellectually lazy. I bet many atheists did attend church in the 50s only to keep up appearances - which I find very sad. No one should be forced into sitting in a house of worship just to be accepted in their community. Why would you want someone who truly doesn't believe sitting there in your house of worship? What is the point?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Teen pregnancy was much higher in the 1950s than it is now.
Quote:
The difference is that whenever a teenage girl got pregnant, she was sent away, as to not embarrass the parents.

And can you prove that global warming is a fake?

And something else. Men were cheating on their wives and even hitting them, just as what happens today. However, today, women can get divorces much easier, and they don't have to put up with it.

Society was never really that moral to begin with.
The difference today is, the gubberment pays for and encourages them to have more, women were more careful back in the day, because if family didn't take care of them, no one else would. As a result, there were a lot less teen pregnancy's because women were held responsible for their actions. Not so much today, the more you have, the more money/food stamps you get. Not to mention there was no birth control pill. I think I liked it better when men/women were expected to be responsible and not pump out unwanted children for money.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not really.

http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/r..._1940-2006.pdf
From 1940 to 1957, the teen birth rate increased 78 percent to a record high.
Maybe because the population exploded after the war and war baby's became teenagers in the 50's and 60's, it makes sense that, more teens, more teen pregnancy's.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Sure, women enjoyed being slapped around, beatened and raped by their husbands. I'm sure they enjoyed working for 1/2 to 2/3 of what men earned and being treated like sex objects around the office.
I'm sure you are correct to some extent, but I think most women had a decent life.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Today, there is more empathy towards women who are beaten on. Nowadays, if a women gets beaten on, the reaction is often "don't take that crap from him, leave him, call the police, press charges,etc". Women are less likely to put up with abusive men. There are husbands and boyfriends who still beat on their wives and girlfriends. However, the consequences for it are harsher than before.
Women have more resources now than then, in the 50's, there wasn't many places for women to go.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I'm sure you are correct to some extent, but I think most women had a decent life.
The point is, there was wide spread spousal abuse and to a large extent it was the way of life back then. Wives were subject to a lot back and these "the 1950's were the best of times" forget that for some "they were the worst of times". Blacks, minorities, gays, most women didn't fare so well.

In the early 1960's, I was maybe 10, I was beaten by my drunken father one nite and it felt like he had broken my jaw. I left the house and walked 12 miles to the nearest hospital. I explained what happen and they examined me and treated me while others called the police and my parents. The police talked with me, then my dad and then me again. Then the police did something strange, they sent my dad into the room alone so he could demand that I change my story. I had to say it was an accident and that I had been hit with a ball playing catch. My dad only has a thumb and half a finger on his throwing hand and has never played catch with anyone. After he pressured me the hospital staff and the police returned to the room and my day told his lie and I agreed with him. That immediately became the official story and the police left. I wonder how many wives faced the same sort of treatment from officials when they dealt with their own personal hell.

Last edited by buzzards27; 12-01-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Talking WOW, this was in 1954---I wonder if we will ever see this on TV again?

Quote:

Love of country and God and our religious freedom. Seems we are going in the other direction to our detriment. I miss "Father Knows Best" all the men on TV comedies now are goofballs. Sad.

WASHINGTON, DC (CNSNews.com) - On Thanksgiving week in 1954, NBC aired a holiday-themed "Father Knows Best" that ended with the family praying before their meal, including thanking God "for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose."
The Nov. 21, 1954 show featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret and their three children, Betty, Bud and Kathy.

In the program, the family decided to forgo a Thanksgiving meal because of scheduling conflicts. But in the end, the parents and children decide that sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal together is the best way to celebrate.

1954 was 58 years ago.

Things have changed quite a bit since those days.

58 years prior to 1954 was 1896. Things had changed a lot over that timespan, too. And I have no doubt that there were lots of cranky old crabs in 1954 lamenting the passage of the "good old days" before electricity, TV, radio, airplanes, and all the other new-fangled stuff that was leading then-contemporary society straight to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies