Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, they shouldn't have received bailout money. At all. Then they would have either had to get creative with their business, or go under.
I'm still on the fence about how I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why not? Because it's one of the most greedy acts I've ever witnessed. It's disgusting to take bailout money and not make any sacrifices for your company.
Did the unions that benefited from the auto bailout "make sacrifices"? No, they did NOT.

Yeah, we get it. Lefties hate fat cat CEO's, but love their fat cat union thugs.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think you are now talking about the real entitlement class.

AIG ended up changing their name it was so tainted with greed and mismanagement.

Just when I start thinking we DO need to crack down on all those welfare programs - I get reminded of things like THIS and who the real "Moochers' really are.

Ugh.
So did GMAC. They are now Ally with no mention of their former name. And the Treasury still owns over 70% of them.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Did the unions that benefited from the auto bailout "make sacrifices"? No, they did NOT.

Yeah, we get it. Lefties hate fat cat CEO's, but love their fat cat union thugs.
No, you don't get it. Just do lots of assuming.

The unions should have made sacrifices as well. I believe many of their demands are wrong. Seriously, peeps, stop assuming and start asking. Does a body good!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Default Teachers: One of my pet peaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Exactly so. The teacher's union better wake up big time.
Obama likes to talk about "millionaires and billionaires" not paying their "fair share." Teachers work 9 mos. per year. A typical salary for a public school teacher who retires at age 55 is $85,000. That teacher get's 50% of her annual salary in pension, or $42,500/yr. Her equivalent net worth is therefore $1,062,500 (using the 4% rule).

However, her health care costs are subsidized at 60%, and her salary is constantly cost of living adjusted, so her income is never decreased by inflation.

If the teacher chooses not to retire till age 59, she gets 75% of annual salary, or $63,750/yr. for a net worth of $1,593,750!

For a teacher with a Masters Degree, those figures are much higher.

Moreover, this income is not at risk by market forces. It's guaranteed by the government. And these pensions are for life! No worries about the money running out before she dies!

So, when you hear Obama talking about "millionairs and billionairs," include teachers in that group. And next time you hear them whine about not getting paid enough, you'll know what to say.

For the average self employed working Joe who owns his own business and is successful, when he retires he is living off his investments (capital gains, interest and dividends) which are always at risk by market forces, and can be easily erroded by inflation. He HOPES his money last till he dies. And HE must buy his own health insurance. This is the guy that Obama's policies of "taxing the rich" are aimed at. This is the guy that was producing economic growth and providing jobs. But Obama and the Democrats want to punish his achievement!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Obama likes to talk about "millionaires and billionaires" not paying their "fair share." Teachers work 9 mos. per year. A typical salary for a public school teacher who retires at age 55 is $85,000. That teacher get's 50% of her annual salary in pension, or $42,500/yr. Her equivalent net worth is therefore $1,062,500 (using the 4% rule).

However, her health care costs are subsidized at 60%, and her salary is constantly cost of living adjusted, so her income is never decreased by inflation.

If the teacher chooses not to retire till age 59, she gets 75% of annual salary, or $63,750/yr. for a net worth of $1,593,750!

For a teacher with a Masters Degree, those figures are much higher.

Moreover, this income is not at risk by market forces. It's guaranteed by the government. And these pensions are for life! No worries about the money running out before she dies!

So, when you hear Obama talking about "millionairs and billionairs," include teachers in that group. And next time you hear them whine about not getting paid enough, you'll know what to say.

For the average self employed working Joe who owns his own business and is successful, when he retires he is living off his investments (capital gains, interest and dividends) which are always at risk by market forces, and can be easily erroded by inflation. He HOPES his money last till he dies. And HE must buy his own health insurance. This is the guy that Obama's policies of "taxing the rich" are aimed at. This is the guy that was producing economic growth and providing jobs. But Obama and the Democrats want to punish his achievement!
Yep. And those are Ohio wages. Try NY $107,000 avg. salary for a teacher. We have a gym teacher who makes $150,000 and a Kindergarten teacher who earns $125,000. Our Superintendent earns $300,000 plus something ridiculous like 70 vacation days and benefits. It's a racket, yet dare to vote down their outrageous increases every year and they scream and carry on, refuse to work past contract hours, wear their black union shirts on Fridays and on and on. Meanwhile, student enrollment is down 10% over the past 6 years, but its costing the taxpayers $37,000 per student! That, my friends, is not SUSTAINABLE.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Yep. And those are Ohio wages. Try NY $107,000 avg. salary for a teacher. We have a gym teacher who makes $150,000 and a Kindergarten teacher who earns $125,000. Our Superintendent earns $300,000 plus something ridiculous like 70 vacation days and benefits. It's a racket, yet dare to vote down their outrageous increases every year and they scream and carry on, refuse to work past contract hours, wear their black union shirts on Fridays and on and on. Meanwhile, student enrollment is down 10% over the past 6 years, but its costing the taxpayers $37,000 per student! That, my friends, is not SUSTAINABLE.
Wow..here in Texas the most a teacher can hope to make is $44K after 20 years.
(But I will add that most districts do pay more than the min but not that much more).

Texas Education Agency - 2012-2013 Minimum Salary Schedule

Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
here in Texas the most a teacher can hope to make is $44K after 20 years.
I bet you Texans are pretty proud of this "efficiency."

Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..here in Texas the most a teacher can hope to make is $44K after 20 years.
(But I will add that most districts do pay more than the min but not that much more).

Texas Education Agency - 2012-2013 Minimum Salary Schedule
And I think, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you don't have unionized teachers in Texas. Texas was also smart enough not to sign on to Obama's Common Core Standards and Race to the Top. Go Texas!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But when a business starts losing profits, they MUST continue paying for labor that they cannot afford?

They are called "greedy pigs", but you are being responsible?

It's basically the same thing. When you need to cut services, you do.....without regard for the people that you effect.
Why would they? Last time I checked people get laid off when a business hurts financially.

What is the point of this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies