Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times

Advertisements

I have come across a few threads regarding Republicans and conservatives complaining about African-Americans voting for President Obama at a rate of 93%,and complaints about African-Americans voting Democrat. This is what I have to say about it. Here is a history lesson.

The Republican Party USED TO BE the party that African-Americans voted for, the party of Lincoln, the anti-slavery party. For Blacks who could vote, they voted Republican. More Blacks started voting Democrat because of Roosevelt and Truman. What brought even more Blacks to the Democratic Party was Lyndon Johnson, who passed the Civil Rights Act and later the Voting Rights Act.

The question to ask is "When did African-Americans stop voting Republican"? The answer is when the Southern Strategy was implemented. Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Why Black Conservatives Don't Vote Republican - YouTube

I have heard complaints about Black voters supporting President Obama. Well, it's for the same reason most African-Americans supported Kerry, Gore, Clinton, Dukakis, Mondale, Carter, McGovern, and Humphrey. This dated back to 1968.
Chart: Black Vote In 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992 & 1996 Elections

It isn't just African-Americans being alienated from the Republican Party. It is Hispanic voters and Asian voters being alienated as well, as of recently. This last campaign was disturbing. Politicians such as Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, and Mitt Romney made some very stupid comments that alienated alot of voters. And yet, I hear complaints about Blacks not voting Republican. And not just that, the attack ad featuring a woman from China. This ad alienated alot of Asians voters. The rape comments also alienated alot of women too.

Lott, Reagan and Republican Racism - TIME
This Is Just A Very Racist Political Ad | Videogum
US election: Republican says 'legitimate rape' victims unlikely to become pregnant - Telegraph

Why do I bother talking about this. This is the way I see it. This past election has proven that people can be alienated and made to feel unwanted. It was mentioned that the Republican Party is basically at the end. Well, if the Republican Party wants to stay relevant, it is going to have to stop alienated minorities. Even Jim Greer, former Republican chairman in Florida, admitted that the Republican Party where he was at was trying to limit the Black vote. Jim Greer denounces Florida Republican Party officials as liars, 'right-wing crazies' in deposition - Tampa Bay Times

Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM

I started this thread because I was hoping to get some dialogue about this, a discussion. I felt like some answers were needed.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times
If you voted for Romney, you are a racist.
If you didn't vote for Obama, you are a racist.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM

744 posts, read 1,091,385 times
Actually, what really brought blacks to the Democratic Party was JFK. He was the first presidential candidate to actively court the black vote through Hollywood channels, appearing in campaign ads with Harry Belafonte, and publicly allying himself with Martin Luther King.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
I guess people felt that the Blacks voted for Obama because of the color of his skin only.
Race has become a controversial hot issue again since 2008 and is blamed wide and far by both sides and for any reason as well.

If they did then that's pretty shallow IMHO.
The color of his skin had nothing to do with my vote in 2008 or 2012.
I was good what skin color represented though..that skin color didn't prevent him from getting to where he was.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If you voted for Romney, you are a racist.
If you didn't vote for Obama, you are a racist.
I'm not talking about that part. I'm talking about people who are complaining about Blacks voting for President Obama. My response is this: What strategy does this Republican Party have to bring more people to their party? Why haven't more conservatives confronted the fact that minorities basically feel alienated from the Republican Party? Michael Steele has done it. Why isn't there more discussion about it?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Actually, what really brought blacks to the Democratic Party was JFK. He was the first presidential candidate to actively court the black vote through Hollywood channels, appearing in campaign ads with Harry Belafonte, and publicly allying himself with Martin Luther King.
That was very important. JFK did court the Black vote alot. It is also important to discuss what alienated Blacks from the Republican Party. I have mentioned that it started when Richard Nixon used the Southern Strategy.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess people felt that the Blacks voted for Obama because of the color of his skin only.
Race has become a controversial hot issue again since 2008 and is blamed wide and far by both sides and for any reason as well.

If they did then that's pretty shallow IMHO.
The color of his skin had nothing to do with my vote in 2008 or 2012.
I was good what skin color represented though..that skin color didn't prevent him from getting to where he was.
Part of what I'm trying to say is that most Blacks voted for President Obama for the same reason they have voted for other Democratic candidates since 1968. I even mentioned this is the first post.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have come across a few threads regarding Republicans and conservatives complaining about African-Americans voting for President Obama at a rate of 93%,and complaints about African-Americans voting Democrat. This is what I have to say about it. Here is a history lesson.

The Republican Party USED TO BE the party that African-Americans voted for, the party of Lincoln, the anti-slavery party. For Blacks who could vote, they voted Republican. More Blacks started voting Democrat because of Roosevelt and Truman. What brought even more Blacks to the Democratic Party was Lyndon Johnson, who passed the Civil Rights Act and later the Voting Rights Act.

The question to ask is "When did African-Americans stop voting Republican"? The answer is when the Southern Strategy was implemented. Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Why Black Conservatives Don't Vote Republican - YouTube

I have heard complaints about Black voters supporting President Obama. Well, it's for the same reason most African-Americans supported Kerry, Gore, Clinton, Dukakis, Mondale, Carter, McGovern, and Humphrey. This dated back to 1968.
Chart: Black Vote In 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992 & 1996 Elections

It isn't just African-Americans being alienated from the Republican Party. It is Hispanic voters and Asian voters being alienated as well, as of recently. This last campaign was disturbing. Politicians such as Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, and Mitt Romney made some very stupid comments that alienated alot of voters. And yet, I hear complaints about Blacks not voting Republican. And not just that, the attack ad featuring a woman from China. This ad alienated alot of Asians voters. The rape comments also alienated alot of women too.

Lott, Reagan and Republican Racism - TIME
This Is Just A Very Racist Political Ad | Videogum
US election: Republican says 'legitimate rape' victims unlikely to become pregnant - Telegraph

Why do I bother talking about this. This is the way I see it. This past election has proven that people can be alienated and made to feel unwanted. It was mentioned that the Republican Party is basically at the end. Well, if the Republican Party wants to stay relevant, it is going to have to stop alienated minorities. Even Jim Greer, former Republican chairman in Florida, admitted that the Republican Party where he was at was trying to limit the Black vote. Jim Greer denounces Florida Republican Party officials as liars, 'right-wing crazies' in deposition - Tampa Bay Times
Who cares? You keep pointing to the Southern strategy and it's been conclusively shown African Americans broke for Democrats back under FDR. Blacks can vote for whomever they like, I think it's silly to reflexively vote for the same party year in and year out while never demanding much in return but hey it's America. You're free to be stupid.

But there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon. Evidently Obama did about 15 points worse with African American males between 18-29. Romney actually got about 20% of their vote. Black women 18-29 on the other hand went 99-1 for Obama.
Young Voters Supported Obama Less, But May Have Mattered More | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Quote:
However, Obama lost support among both white men and women. Overall, 41% of white men supported Obama while 54% supported Romney. In 2008, Obama won the vote among white men, 52% to 46%. While white women voted for Obama over McCain by a 56% to 42% margin four years ago, they were divided this year (48% voted for Obama, 49% for Romney).
Surprisingly, Obama’s vote also declined among young black men, by 14 points, while holding steady among young black women.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM

I just looked at another thread about conservatives calling African-Americans dumb for voting for President Obama. What I have asked is this: What incentive has the Republican Party, since 1968, given to African-Americans to vote for a Republican candidate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies