Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Correct, you are not very bright if you think it had anything to do with Civil Rights. Republicans have always supported Civil Rights while Democrats have always opposed them. Blacks began voting en mass for Democrats as a result of LBJ's "Great Society," Affirmative Action, and "War on Poverty." Just as they voted for FDR. They cast their vote based upon the promise of who will give them more of other people's money, and that is where Democrats excel - stealing from others.
Then why did Richard Nixon appeal to racists in the South? Last time I checked, this is when many southern Democrats went to the Republican Party. Nixon appealed to the anger many southerners had because the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act were passed. Kevin P. Phillips, a political analyst, details this.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...s-southern.pdf

Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then why did Richard Nixon appeal to racists in the South? Last time I checked, this is when many southern Democrats went to the Republican Party. Nixon appealed to the anger many southerners had because the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act were passed. Kevin P. Phillips, a political analyst, details this.

thats what the white right doesnt want people to know.

we know about the southern strategy and why those whites did it.

the white right can try and pretend it didnt happen, but it did.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Richard Nixon did not appeal to the bigots in the south because they were all Democrats. The bigots in the south voted for former Democrat Governor George Wallace in 1968. After Wallace lost the southern states began electing Republicans instead of bigoted Democrats. Republicans like Newt Gingrich, Lamar Alexander, Jim DeMint, Saxby Chambliss, etc., etc. The era of the bigoted Dixiecrats in the south came to an end after the 1968 election. That is why in 1972 Nixon won those same five southern States that Wallace had won in 1968.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But none of that was talked about either in 2008 or 2012.
Wow..I haven't hear the term "urban redevelopment" in years and that used to be a top issue.

Just the threat of taking away hard fought rights and privileges.
Was that fear really the driver this go round ?

I mean it did get pretty low with Biden telling the people the Republicans were going to put them back in chains. That's nothing more than dirty politics and 2012 was the dirtiest I have ever witnessed.

No decent debates or talks of the different platforms. Both sides too scared to talk about cuts or taxes for fear of lost votes. So the focus was on social issues with lies and barbs and threats and fear mongering thrown out by both sides.
I'll admit this. The only places I get my news sources are from the Yahoo!,BBC and maybe CNN. I don't watch much politics on TV, so I don't know who saying what, until I hear about it on the news or from someone else. However, I do know that alot of people are complaining about Blacks as a result of the election. This is what prompted me to start this thread.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Richard Nixon did not appeal to the bigots in the south because they were all Democrats. The bigots in the south voted for former Democrat Governor George Wallace in 1968. After Wallace lost the southern states began electing Republicans instead of bigoted Democrats. Republicans like Newt Gingrich, Lamar Alexander, Jim DeMint, Saxby Chambliss, etc., etc. The era of the bigoted Dixiecrats in the south came to an end after the 1968 election. That is why in 1972 Nixon won those same five southern States that Wallace had won in 1968.
I have two links proving the opposite. I also have a video clip from the first post that was made.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What are the incentives offered by the Democrat party ?
Not a troll question here at all. I'd like to hear something other than they get to keep their "free stuff" programs which is the typical response.

Why do Blacks choose the Dem party over the Repub party ?
How about they fight to keep underfunded schools in bad neighborhoods staffed w/ teachers, as opposed to the alternative of vouchers that would leave the schools in the worst neighborhoods too broke to offer anything more than 40-person classrooms teaching from outdated books in dilapidated buildings?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,022 times
I don't know if any one mention this but, the percentage of black voters who voted Democrat is only half the picture. You have to also look at black voter turnout. Black voter turnout on a percentage basis has always lower than the turnout for all citizens.....until 2008. 2008 marked the first time it exceeded the turnout for all voters.

Voter Turnout | SSDAN.net

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
How about they fight to keep underfunded schools in bad neighborhoods staffed w/ teachers, as opposed to the alternative of vouchers that would leave the schools in the worst neighborhoods too broke to offer anything more than 40-person classrooms teaching from outdated books in dilapidated buildings?
That is one reason my father has given.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
I'm just glad that they can't blame whitey anymore.

Amazing how they voted themselves right back into bondage.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I don't know if any one mention this but, the percentage of black voters who voted Democrat is only half the picture. You have to also look at black voter turnout. Black voter turnout on a percentage basis has always lower than the turnout for all citizens.....until 2008. 2008 marked the first time it exceeded the turnout for all voters.

Voter Turnout | SSDAN.net
Even if more voters have turned out for 2008 and 2012, what percentage of those voters turned out because there was a Black man running for office?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies