Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Think about this. 1980. The economy was horrible, and most Blacks still voted for former President Carter. This has more to do with political affiliation.

This nation has always been racially balkanized. Nothing new.
Oh well hopefully the economy will grow enough so unemployed young black males like you can get jobs. Keep voting Dem I'm sure things will turnaround eventually maybe by the time you're 40.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess people felt that the Blacks voted for Obama because of the color of his skin only. Race has become a controversial hot issue again since 2008 and is blamed wide and far by both sides and for any reason as well.

If they did then that's pretty shallow IMHO. The color of his skin had nothing to do with my vote in 2008 or 2012. I was good what skin color represented though..that skin color didn't prevent him from getting to where he was.
Two wrongs never add up to right. But I'm also curious as to why this is suddenly being treated as brand new now that blacks are doing what whites have done, preferring their own culture over 'others', for centuries no matter what the arena? And dont all people do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Part of what I'm trying to say is that most Blacks voted for President Obama for the same reason they have voted for other Democratic candidates since 1968. I even mentioned this is the first post.
Which brings up the question of why it is now so much more terrible?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Fear tactics because repeal of the 14th amendment was not on the table.
Once again you failed to grasp the point.

Quote:
Quote:
Voter ID laws which effects all voting Americans is legalized voter suppression against Blacks.
Study after study that were presented in court demonstrated that not to be the case.

Quote:
Since we didn't repeal the 14th Amendment there was nothing keeping the Blacks from the DMV except their lack of $15. No one fought that the poor Whites or Hispanics couldn't afford $15.
Ah...the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870 that didn't negate the necessity of passing the Voting Rights Act of 1975 nearly 100 years later. That is just one issue that I was referring to when I pointed out that there were plenty of sanctioned discriminatory acts between the ratification of the 13th Amendment and the Civil Rights Acts. Between 1865 and the Compromise of 1877 we witnessed the ratification of the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments along with the Civil Rights Act of 1866, and 1875 all of which should have precluded a need for another round of legislation but as the result of the Republican Parties abandonment of its commitment to Civil Rights during the 1877 elections and several nefarious Supreme Court decisions, it would take nearly another hundred years for African Americans (and as a result all Americans) to be freed from state sanctioned racism.

Today, African Americans would be fools to support a party that seems hell bent upon once again chipping away of those so painfully won over the last 150 years. And please before you start arguing about how times have a change, read Eric Drapper's Capital Men ( a book that Obama would be wise to read as well). As far as I am concerned 60 years isn't all that long of a period of time to defy the worst kind of backsliding by any group of human beings. And even if we have progressed that far, I tend to agree with Saint Ronald the Reagan on this one point, "trust but verify" and I have seen absolutely nothing from the Republican Party worth verifying.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I'm also curious as to why this is suddenly being treated as brand new now that blacks are doing what whites have done,
What in god's name are black people doing that in any way, shape or form even vaguely resembles what white folks did/do to black folks?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM

73,033 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh well hopefully the economy will grow enough so unemployed young black males like you can get jobs. Keep voting Dem I'm sure things will turnaround eventually maybe by the time you're 40.
Even when there was a Republican in office, I could barely find jobs back then. I've learned that it is about "who you know" when it comes to getting a job. It doesn't matter who is president.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What in god's name are black people doing that in any way, shape or form even vaguely resembles what white folks did/do to black folks?
I would like to hear that answer as well. All ears...

Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Just look at the front page of this very forum. It's filled with racially paranoid threads started by right wingers and then they have the nerve to pretend they don't pander to racial bigots.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Just look at the front page of this very forum. It's filled with racially paranoid threads started by right wingers and then they have the nerve to pretend they don't pander to racial bigots.
I know. Their Tea Party wing can be caught red handed holding signs that are clearly racist and they won't say a thing about it.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM

73,033 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I know. Their Tea Party wing can be caught red handed holding signs that are clearly racist and they won't say a thing about it.
It makes some people wonder what the true intentions of the Tea Party really are.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm sorry I must have missed when Whites irrespective of religion, region, ethnic background, marital status, education attainment or class voted for one party to the tune of 97%. Did this occur during slavery? Jim Crow?

It's not about Blacks doing anything to Whites but voting for people without considering any of the issues and jeopardizing the future of the country in the process. I think most reasonable give Blacks a pass voting for Obama in '08 based on race. Four years later all things being equal the Black vote should have at best remained flat for Obama. I don't understand how anyone in good conscience would not at least give pause to voting for someone who added 7 trillion in debt in the span of 4 years.

Yet Blacks ignored all that and were going to vote for Obama because the GOP was mean to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies