Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that is an interesting question.

no party should PANDER to any particular group, but should welcome all groups.

the republican party failure, as i see it, isn't that it can't compete with obama claus, but that it has not been able to give poor people a different vision for themselves than as recipients of "government largesse".

i was in the walmart before thanksgiving and i saw a woman who had a bunch of thanksgiving items in her cart (including a turkey) and someone was taking the cart away, and she was paying for a few items left on the counter herself, including dog food. The cashier asked me if i was going to be using food stamps, and i said "no, why?", and she said that it wasn't working at that time so she couldn't take food stamps.

you tell me that people want this for their vision of their lives? the failure of the republicans is that they haven't actually done anything to help people (not just blacks either) to realize their own dreams and help them get training, skills, or networking to live those dreams.

we can see by the democratic controlled cities (for generations) that they don't know how to make the lives of the poor better, or don't care to, but that doesn't seem to stop people from voting for them-maybe because they just can't visualize the alternative.

we need a new party, free of media stereotyping, to get people to wake up and listen-and maybe they don't have to "hate the american dream" because they can be part of it.

we also need a vibrant messenger so that people are receptive to the message.
I agree that a political party should be welcoming to all. I think this is another part. Republicans have basically made the poor feel like they weren't wanted. And then there is Mitt Romney's "47 percent" speech. That made alot of people feel like dirt.

There needs to be a new vision, and this is part of what I'm saying.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,161 times
You can see it here on City-Data. Basically: "Black people who vote Democrat are ignorant and part of a hive mind."

Nothing insulting about that at all.

And then the constant obsession of how other non-White/Christians groups voted: "Why did Jews vote this way?" "Why did Asians vote that way?" "Don't they know what's good for them?"

The more Republicans openly ponder this, the more they end up turning people off. Perhaps it's a double standard, but in the end they'd probably do better by not addressing the issue of how to get minorities at all - whatsoever. They end up shooting themselves in the foot and creeping people out.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Go back and read my first post. I already did. I find it interesting that you are telling me to do something and then telling me I cannot do it because I don't know every black voter. I know that the only reason that 93% of black voters would ever vote for Obama would have to be prejudice. There can be no other reason for that high a percentage to vote for one party.
Can you prove prejudice has something to do with it? Can you prove that this has nothing to do with political affiliation?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
You can see it here on City-Data. Basically: "Black people who vote Democrat are ignorant and part of a hive mind."

Nothing insulting about that at all.

And then the constant obsession of how other non-White/Christians groups voted: "Why did Jews vote this way?" "Why did Asians vote that way?" "Don't they know what's good for them?"

The more Republicans openly ponder this, the more they end up turning people off. Perhaps it's a double standard, but in the end they'd probably do better by not addressing the issue of how to get minorities at all - whatsoever. They end up shooting themselves in the foot and creeping people out.
I would say this. The Tea Party influences in the Republican Party needs to be expunged. It would also help to watch what one says. When a few conservatives say "African-Americans who voted for President Obama are dumb", that will keep alot African-Americans away from the Republican Party. What you say can affect how people view you. It is also how you say it.

I'm also learning over and over why I never post political things on my facebook, ever. If I did, well, let's just say it wouldn't end very well.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
O. K. I will take a stab at this. For years we have been told that the color of a person's skin should not be what determines who they are. Now when it is a time that black people can exercise this principle they chose to ignore it and most all vote for the person who had skin the same color they have. I find that two-faced and cannot for the life of me figure out why Obama would be better for 93% of black people than Romney is. I don't think it is possible for Obama to be better for 93% of black people than Romney when the unemployment rate for blacks is what it is today. I think they voted for Obama because he looks like them and that is the only reason some of them voted for him. Most of them would have been better off to vote for Romney.

The Republican party is what it is and always will be. They were not the problem in this situation. They don't need to change. Blacks need to stop being prejudice against non-blacks.
This is fair analysis. I can understand the support in'08 but after 4 years of mismanagement I think what rubs people the wrong way is his support actually increased. This is what shocked the Romney campaign the most. They didn't think they'd get the Black vote but they weren't prepared for Blacks to ignore economic conditions in their own communities simply to re-elect Obama.

I think there is going to be a growing backlash against Blacks for this monolithic behavior and frankly the GOP will probably get an even larger share of the White vote moving forward. More racial Balkanization awaits.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is fair analysis. I can understand the support in'08 but after 4 years of mismanagement I think what rubs people the wrong way is his support actually increased. This is what shocked the Romney campaign the most. They didn't think they'd get the Black vote but they weren't prepared for Blacks to ignore economic conditions in their own communities simply to re-elect Obama.

I think there is going to be a growing backlash against Blacks for this monolithic behavior and frankly the GOP will probably get an even larger share of the White vote moving forward. More racial Balkanization awaits.
No I think what shocked them the most is the 332 to 206 electoral outcome after their media wing [Fox News] predicted a Republican landslide.

Just like many other black people I'm actually doing better then what I was in 2008. I didn't reduce my indulgences because a black man was in the White House either.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
After Wallace lost the southern states began electing Republicans instead of bigoted Democrats. Republicans like Newt Gingrich, Lamar Alexander, Jim DeMint, Saxby Chambliss, etc., etc. The era of the bigoted Dixiecrats in the south came to an end after the 1968 election. That is why in 1972 Nixon won those same five southern States that Wallace had won in 1968.
You're right the era of racist southern Democrats came to an end and shifted to he Republican Party.

See Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms
"all the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, into our schools, our churches and our places of recreation and amusement."

Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Think about this. 1980. The economy was horrible, and most Blacks still voted for former President Carter. This has more to do with political affiliation.

This nation has always been racially balkanized. Nothing new.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
No I think what shocked them the most is the 332 to 206 electoral outcome after their media wing [Fox News] predicted a Republican landslide.

Just like many other black people I'm actually doing better then what I was in 2008. I didn't reduce my indulgences because a black man was in the White House either.
My family is doing better now than they were in 2008. My father lost his job a month before the election. My father currently has a job, can take care of his family. We are doing better as a family.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You're right the era of racist southern Democrats came to an end and shifted to he Republican Party.

See Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms
"all the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, into our schools, our churches and our places of recreation and amusement."
Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond were wrong. Although churches are still kind of divided, people of any race can go to any church they please. Blacks can buy homes wherever they want, and go to school wherever they want. Places of recreation and amusement are open to people of all races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies