Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There is a term...that the Russians use...Hooliganism. If you act like a hooligan and terrorize the community the Russian cops pay you a visit and break some bones...Threatening and hostile behavior should not be tolerated...where is the educational system and the parents regarding the poor training these little goons get? No one has the right to physically damage another human being--In this liberal democracy we seem to focus on words..and "feelings" and "esteem" but we do not curb the use of fists.... In Toronto the liberals had this "hug a thug" mentality...It did not work - so now the cops are rounding them up- youthful offenders...it does not matter...You act like an animal and you are going to the ZOO.
Indeed and that`s why Dunn is behind bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There is a term...that the Russians use...Hooliganism. If you act like a hooligan and terrorize the community the Russian cops pay you a visit and break some bones...Threatening and hostile behavior should not be tolerated...where is the educational system and the parents regarding the poor training these little goons get? No one has the right to physically damage another human being--In this liberal democracy we seem to focus on words..and "feelings" and "esteem" but we do not curb the use of fists.... In Toronto the liberals had this "hug a thug" mentality...It did not work - so now the cops are rounding them up- youthful offenders...it does not matter...You act like an animal and you are going to the ZOO.
The issue here is that we (as in the people that weren't there) don't know exactly what was said

This is what we DO know.

Davis & friends were parked at the gas station. One was inside, the others were in the SUV with rap music playing loudly. All parties admitted the music was loud.

Dunn pulled up next to them. His girlfriend went in the store. He asked them to lower the volume. They did. One of them said something that he perceived as a threat. Dunn rolled down the window and said "Excuse me, are you talking to me"

And then an argument started. Now Dunn hasn't said what the threat was but I'm not sure why admitting that he responded to the threat with "are you talking to me". If you're scared/uncomfortable/whatever then just LEAVE. It's can be assumed the teens weren't out of the car or talking to him directly or the "are you talking to me" wouldn't have been needed. To me it sounds like he heard Davis in the backseat complaining about the audacity of this stranger (yes probably white male stranger) to request they turn their music down and chose to respond. Maybe he said the "Are you talking to me" a la Scarface because he thought the kids would appreciate the gangster reference.

I think this whole Stand Your Ground thing is a slippery slope to just justified murders. I doubt there is one adult on Earth who has never gotten into a verbal confrontation with a stranger and been threatened. So now it's okay to shoot them as long as you say "oh I thought they had a gun"

I'm not saying wait for people to actually pull out a gun before you defend yourself but at the same time, I think allowing people to engage in a confrontational situation and then shoot once it's escalated in beyond stupid. Now if he'd driven off or gone in the store and Davis followed him threatening him shoot away but that's not what happened here.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
70% of the population will because if legalized 70% would have killed a black youth on the spot, young black men have no idea how much their actually hated. If they knew they would do half of what they do,

The white guy was just scared, most likely didn't care for black men anyways and overreacted.

If you look at the pic of the kid who got killed, thug isn't what ill call him.
Oh stop feeling sorry for yourself already! If a majority of young black men wouldn't act like thugs they wouldn't get labeled with the negative stereotype.

As far as the shooting there's alot of different interpretations. Sorting them out is going to be a chore. I personally think that with one guy shooting at four kids IF there was a gun in the suv somebody would've grabbed it and started firing back. Just my theory. I mean even if I'm alone and somebody comes at me with a gun, if I armed as well I'm gonna start firing back.

I did pull my gun once on somebody, to this day I don't regret it, I knew he wasn't armed, I just did it to scare the **** out of him and it worked. Knowing he wasn't armed, the though of squeezing the trigger never entered my mind

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Oh stop feeling sorry for yourself already! If a majority of young black men wouldn't act like thugs they wouldn't get labeled with the negative stereotype.
I don't believe they do. I just believe the ones that DO act like thugs get the majority of the attention.

That's the way life is. The ones who make the most noise become the brand image for that group but in general, it's not an accurate depiction.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I don't believe they do. I just believe the ones that DO act like thugs get the majority of the attention.

That's the way life is. The ones who make the most noise become the brand image for that group but in general, it's not an accurate depiction.
That's true Nat. A newspaper reporter once told me, if it bleeds, it leads.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
I don't understand why the usual suspects are making this case a big deal. Is anyone saying this man acted correctly? He's been arrested and charged. The system is taking care of it. What more do you want?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,546,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
The great majority of young black men don't "act like thugs", thus you are yourself a disproof of your own theory.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,637,590 times
why eryone keep sayin thugs
i dint hear that even one of em had a warrant or a criminal record, they jus thugs cuz they are black and listen to rap?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't understand why the usual suspects are making this case a big deal. Is anyone saying this man acted correctly? He's been arrested and charged. The system is taking care of it. What more do you want?
I don't know if I'm considered one of the usual subjects but the reason I created the thread is because I wanted to follow the case because of the Stand Your Ground Law.

But on that token why is ANY news story posted here? In most cases the person has been arrested before the thread is even created.
AGAIN IF YOU FEEL THIS TOPIC IS BENEATH YOU THEN DON'T POST. LEAVE THE THREAD.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,973 times
I HATE when people BLAST their music, no one wants to hear/feel that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies