Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I guess a Black person might feel the same way based on George W. Bush Jr.'s response to Hurricane Katrina.

The federal government is NOT responsible for removing trees or restoring electrical power. Those are the responsibilities of state and local government. They can ask the federal government for assistance but they have the overall responsibility for dealing with the issues in their respective states and cities.

You anger is COMPLETELY misplaced and probably tied to whatever biases you have against President Obama.
I don't know why he is wasting his time on city data whining when he could be out volunteering and helping his fellow neighbors pick up after the storm.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,874,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't know why he is wasting his time on city data whining when he could be out volunteering and helping his fellow neighbors pick up after the storm.
Good question!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,172,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Then, you are in luck. Most of the information needed to reconstruct the road is already done (if the info is not too old). Costs will have to be updated, and any environmental changes that may have occurred would have to be noted and changes made to the plans, if necessary.

Now it is up to YOUR COUNTY officials to get that info to FEMA.

EDIT: I just saw the date of the article.

EDIT 2: FEMA will pay for damage to the existing roadway as it was right before the storm, not for the planned $30M construction noted in the article.

The planned $30M construction noted in the article WAS damage from before the storm. The damage is much worse now. It would appear the question of Fed vs. County still remains unanswered.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
Why should anyone have to help out neighbors when the president himself promised to do so but is instead spending $4 million on yet another luxury vacation to Hawaii?

The media swooned about how fast Obama got everything fixed after that storm -- you'd think that it really was all taken care of already by the Great Mighty Obama. Are you now admitting that's not the case?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why should anyone have to help out neighbors when the president himself promised to do so but is instead spending $4 million on yet another luxury vacation to Hawaii?

The media swooned about how fast Obama got everything fixed after that storm -- you'd think that it really was all taken care of already by the Great Mighty Obama. Are you now admitting that's not the case?
Hopefully one day you will be in a time of need from an emergency and your fellow neighbors will come to you aid and volunteer their time to help out....then you might have an understanding what I am talking about, until then you keep fuming over the president while your fellow neighbors are in need.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM

179 posts, read 262,135 times
Sandy made my car total loss and part of the house's roof collapsed. My neighbors volumteed coming to help us alots. Afer we finished cleanning up the trees falling, so we could have the driveway to get in and out. We came to another neighbors's houses helping each others. The insurance gave us 1/2 of the money that we need to fix the roof and book value minus 500 deductible for the car. I don't get any help from FEMA at all since our income about middle class .

I finally could do is to seek for a little disater tax deduction in my tax return in April 2013 any amount over 10% of our AIG.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
Hopefully one day you will be in a time of need from an emergency and your fellow neighbors will come to you aid and volunteer their time to help out....then you might have an understanding what I am talking about, until then you keep fuming over the president while your fellow neighbors are in need.
So are you admitting that Obama really didn't take care of the damage as has been reported by the new media?

If that's the case -- then Bush shouldn't be blamed for Katrina -- it was the neighbors who failed to provide aid.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So are you admitting that Obama really didn't take care of the damage as has been reported by the new media?

If that's the case -- then Bush shouldn't be blamed for Katrina -- it was the neighbors who failed to provide aid.
No, I am saying that while it is important to have federal government come to our aid for these kinds of disasters, it is more important for the communities to come to the aid of their fellow neighbors to get things done because in the end that is what our country is, a collection of communities and neighbors sticking together and helping each other out.

Unless you are that type of person who sits around waiting for the government to do everything for you...are you that type of person?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2011 View Post
Sandy made my car total loss and part of the house's roof collapsed. My neighbors volumteed coming to help us alots. Afer we finished cleanning up the trees falling, so we could have the driveway to get in and out. We came to another neighbors's houses helping each others. The insurance gave us 1/2 of the money that we need to fix the roof and book value minus 500 deductible for the car. I don't get any help from FEMA at all since our income about middle class .

I finally could do is to seek for a little disater tax deduction in my tax return in April 2013 any amount over 10% of our AIG.
I am sorry to hear of the damage to your property, thank goodness no one was hurt. Here in the NE, we pay outrageous premiums for homeowner's insurance and then when you really need it, you end up spending more out of pocket than you paid for the insurance in the first place.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
No, I am saying that while it is important to have federal government come to our aid for these kinds of disasters, it is more important for the communities to come to the aid of their fellow neighbors to get things done because in the end that is what our country is, a collection of communities and neighbors sticking together and helping each other out.

Unless you are that type of person who sits around waiting for the government to do everything for you...are you that type of person?
Are you really that dense that you fail to comprehend that NOBODY is sitting around waiting for the Federal government, we'd all be frozen and dead if that was the case. Of COURSE neighbors have been helping neighbors, my husband cut up our neighbor's tree that fell across their driveway, we have donated to local charities and collected food and clothing.

What IRKS everybody was Obama's promise to have everything back up and running in record time and the media fawning over his "great response". It is hypocrisy on steroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies