Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I'm a Republican and gay people could marry each other until rainbows shot out of their asses for all I care. It's not something that I am going to consider when deciding who to vote for.
Exactly... And kind of offended that "progressive thinking liberals" make prejudice assumptions, that since I have conservative political views, that they think they know how I feel about homosexuality.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This is kindergarten logic. Human society ain't that simple.
So, what logic are YOU applying? Saying that gay men will be craving your body is more mature logic? I don't think so.

Please explain, since you know all about human society - how do gay rights issues have any impact on your daily life? Do you truly & honestly think if we allow gays to marry, they are suddenly going to start harassing straight men? I live in the Bay Area (used to live in SF itself), and have never witnessed such a phenomenon... sure, they will sometimes look at a straight man and say "mmmm, he's cute." But unless they know or strongly suspect you're gay/interested too, they will not generally approach or bother you. Try being a woman some time, as we deal with unwanted attraction quite regularly. No biggie, as long as they don't get pushy!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I think some of you put too much emphasis on Gays and gay issues. What maybe important to gays is not important to others. I could not care less about Gays and their problems, and it it the last thing that I would consider in a Presidential election. In mainstream America I would doubt that many go around being concerned about gay rights.

Social liberals need a boogieman to further their agenda (statism).

With the really good victims all but gone, liberals are now scraping the bottom of the barrel for wronged groups.

What they have left are blacks who continually self-destruct, women who outnumber men in college and Latinos who now decide close elections.

Enter: The Village People!

Yes, homosexuals are the new underclass being deprived by ignorant inbred knuckle-draggers of Constitutional rights the rest of us take for granted, or so the story goes.

So what else is a social liberal to do?

Declare victory and retire from politics?

Not likely!

Not until the state rules like a god in the affairs of men.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Exactly... And kind of offended that "progressive thinking liberals" make prejudice assumptions, that since I have conservative political views, that they think they know how I feel about homosexuality.
I don't think the OP was saying that at all... they seem to be speaking of Republican policies and positions, not the individual feelings of each conservative voter.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times
Quote:
I'm not "anti-gay", no matter how you label that.
I am just saying gays are attracted to (handsome) straight males too. So changing attitudes definitely has an effect on their behaviors.
So I'm assuming you must be gods gift to women's and gays? Ha ha.

Lots of girls are attracted to gay males also. Look at Ricky Martin for example...

I would have voted for romney but the ignorant morons of the party made me bitter against the GOP. I voted for Romney in 2008, and rooted for Romney in the 2012 primaries but then when social issues came up, I changed my mind and voted dem.

That and now I'm even more bitter by the GOP is being told I voted for handouts, and welfare, etc... I work, I pay my fair share, have insurance, etc.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

How you feel about homosexuality and/or same-sex marriage is irrelevant.

It's not how you feel that is important to the liberal statist.

What matters is how they need you to feel so that their overreach into all of our lives is justified.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, what logic are YOU applying? Saying that gay men will be craving your body is more mature logic? I don't think so.

Please explain, since you know all about human society - how do gay rights issues have any impact on your daily life? Do you truly & honestly think if we allow gays to marry, they are suddenly going to start harassing straight men? I live in the Bay Area (used to live in SF itself), and have never witnessed such a phenomenon... sure, they will sometimes look at a straight man and say "mmmm, he's cute." But unless they know or strongly suspect you're gay/interested too, they will not generally approach or bother you. Try being a woman some time, as we deal with unwanted attraction quite regularly. No biggie, as long as they don't get pushy!
It's a long story, but you can start thinking about this: should we design bathrooms for gays? lol

Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

I would have voted for romney but the ignorant morons of the party made me bitter against the GOP. I voted for Romney in 2008, and rooted for Romney in the 2012 primaries but then when social issues came up, I changed my mind and voted dem.

That and now I'm even more bitter by the GOP is being told I voted for handouts, and welfare, etc... I work, I pay my fair share, have insurance, etc
This is the kind of attitude that is hurting the GOP. Their condescending attitude toward the middle class, and the whole 47% comment, is disgusting. Everyone knows the economy is doing awful. Not many people really thought Obama deserved another term. This election should have been a slam dunk for Romney, but the Republicans are condescending, and they just do stupid things to alienate people.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A word has meaning based on the way it is used in everyday life by ordinary people.

Homosexual is one of those words.

Of the many things this word brings to mind, normalcy is not among them.

Marriage is also one of those words.

The word marriage also brings many things to mind including normalcy.

What homosexuals and their supporters want to do is to take away the things normally associated with the word homosexuality and replace them with the things normally associated with the word marriage, to include normalcy.

This is why civil unions with all the same benefits as traditional marriage will never satisfy homosexuals or their supporters as the meaning of "civil union" is different from "marriage" and a civil union will therefore never remove the stigma of being a homosexual.
Again, you are obsessing over a very abstract idea (normalcy). That word has a different definition to just about everyone you ask, and has changed probably infinite times throughout history. Words change, deal with it or stick to what YOU want to believe & leave the rest of us alone. You know gay people marrying won't actually affect your life, but still want to control them? Why?

Quote:
As for you, you seem like a normal red headed Jewish liberal from the Bay Area.

Nothing odd about that, but this is an area where there are countless varaiables.
Actually, I'm not all that normal. Do you know many Jews who are covered in tattoos (there are some, but we're hardly the majority)? Or "liberals" who think the rich pay enough in taxes, support gun rights, and don't care about the death penalty? I'm not even a typical redhead, seeing as I have blue eyes while most have green or amber-colored. So no, I'm not as "normal" as you may have thought - and quite happy being unique in those respects.

I'm beginning to believe that poster on another thread, who said conservatives have trouble seeing beyond black & white... and I'm not talking about race, I'm talking about the inability to accept that gray areas exist in every facet of life.

Quote:
Sexuality is a much smaller list.
Not really... there are many variables in sexual orientation, even within the same designation.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
It's a long story, but you can start thinking about this: should we design bathrooms for gays? lol
No, why should we? I'm quite sure you've peed near a gay man before, and probably didn't even know it... but again, what connection does this have to gay rights? You think just because they're more socially accepted, they will start hitting on you in the restroom? Even the gayest gay man in the world would probably say "ewwww, no thanks."

Restrooms in gay nightclubs are a different story, but they pretty much don't even have gender designations (unofficially speaking). I remember going to one of these clubs with a gay male friend, and when I asked where the women's restroom was, he answered "does it really matter?" Guess not, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies