Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM

764 posts, read 597,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You wouldn't give him credit for being green if they did that, you would start a thread about how the President was destroying the traditions of Christmas in the White House because he was a godless Muslim or something equally inane.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't know ---- my Doug firs are burning great. I had a couple of dead maples taken down, too, and a piece or two of that in with the fir when I go to bed at night guarantee me a nice, warm house in the morning.
Firs are softwood, they burn nicely but quickly.

Maple is a nice hardwood, great for burning. A cord of black maple will produce 21.1 million BTUs. Whereas a cord of Douglas fir will only produce 17.4 million BTUs.

Where I live we have primarily white birch (20.0 million BTUs per cord) and black spruce (15.3 million BTUs per cord). We use the spruce to build with, and the birch to burn.

Furthermore, softer woods also produce more creosote when burned. Which is something you do not want.

Source: Sweep's Library - Firewood BTU Comparison Charts

Quote:
Have you priced the cost of a decent artificial Christmas tree?

I had actually considered going that route some time back, because although I have no problems with Christmas tree farms and people having cut trees for a couple of weeks every year, I am more of a "reusable" kind of person and I prefer to invest in things that can either be re-used, re-purposed, or recycled and I try to stay away from things that are single purpose and disposable.

But I sure got a serious case of sticker shock when I priced the artificial trees!! The only way I could ever afford one of those is if I ever came across one at a garage sale or Goodwill - at a serious discount. LOL
Consider it this way - How long will an artificial tree last? If we assume it will last 10 years, would the cost of 10 live Christmas trees be more or less than an artificial tree?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Have you priced the cost of a decent artificial Christmas tree?

I had actually considered going that route some time back, because although I have no problems with Christmas tree farms and people having cut trees for a couple of weeks every year, I am more of a "reusable" kind of person and I prefer to invest in things that can either be re-used, re-purposed, or recycled and I try to stay away from things that are single purpose and disposable.

But I sure got a serious case of sticker shock when I priced the artificial trees!! The only way I could ever afford one of those is if I ever came across one at a garage sale or Goodwill - at a serious discount. LOL
What is the price for a good artificial tree? About 7 feet tall? $80? $100?

I have an artificial tree which a neighbor who moved away gave me and it should last for quite a while.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
LOL at the practical police. Since when did it have to be practical? Sometimes you do things because they make you feel good. What do you think happens to all those floral arrangements that people give each other?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM

990 posts, read 939,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So much for our green president.
Also why not donate some to charity?
Yeah, because President Obama personally drafted leglislation to procure 54 Christmas Trees for the White House

Why is EVERYTHING Obama's fault?

And I thought you people were up in arms about Obama's "war on Christmas" and now you're worried about him celebrating it too much?

You people are beyond help. Everything is a conspiracy and everything Obama does is "the worst thing ever".

I bet you would complain if he personally came to your door and handed you a suitcase full of $100 bills.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
An incredibly silly tradition. "Boy, is that tree not pretty?" "Let us cut it down and drag it into our house to watch it die!" "Fire hazard?" "Nonsense, it is TRADITION!"

A few years later, "Boy, this hill looked a lot nicer when there were trees growing on it."

Some traditions are just too stupid to be upheld, and this is one of them.
Plus, Christmas trees are . . . . pagan! (Heavy sarcasm ON)

Quote:
Do you also harvest corn stalks and drag them into your house to watch them die? Do you harvest any other "crop" and drag them into your house to watch them die? Like I said, it is a silly tradition.
Someone already pointed out flowers. As for corn stalks, many people make them into a little "shock" to use as a fall decoration. Ditto ornamental corn and gourds.

Quote:
My point is that if you want to decorate a tree for the holidays, decorate a living tree. Leave it outside, where trees belong. Do not kill it merely for the sake of tradition. I am certainly no tree-hugger, but I consider killing anything and not putting it to practical use to be a waste. There are many things that can be done with trees, from making objects to fuel for heat, but cutting down and decorating a tree merely to watch it die is a waste.
We put the tree on the garden, and in the spring plow it in to the ground. The acid needles help with our extremely alkaline soil.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Like I said, it is a silly tradition.
I'm safe in sayng that a majority in the US AND around the world would disagree with you.

It is NOT a "silly" tradition.

It's a WONDERFUL tradition.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We are not going over any fiscal cliff.

The 2 sides are playing chicken with each other just like they did with the debt ceiling deadlines.
We're going to kick the can down the road.
As they always do...........

Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We put the tree on the garden, and in the spring plow it in to the ground. The acid needles help with our extremely alkaline soil.
At least the tree is not going to waste. Too bad most people cannot make the same claim.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Wait, I thought there was a war on Christmas!! Now if there hadn't been enough/any Christmas trees at the White House, you just KNOW somebody would have started a thread about Obama "fueling the war on Christmas" - or saying it's proof he is a Muslim. Right? Sheesh, this guy literally can't do anything right for the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies