Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy~O View Post
Were I live it's the forest service and they're idea of clear cutting........not Christmas tree farms.

Not enough people go to the woods to cut trees. A person defiantly would not see patches of nothing miles wide and long from Christmas tree hunters getting a tree once a year.
Were I live it is the US Forest Service that usually starts the forest fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is offensive to me if anything living is killed for no other purpose than trophies, to be gawked at. I remember as a kid my mother would clean out the pumpkin while us kids carved them for Halloween. She would then bake the pumpkin seeds with a little salt and we would snack on them. She also made the best pumpkin pie with the rest of the pumpkin. I have also been an avid hunter since age 8, and the first rule my father taught me was "you shoot it, you eat it."

I have absolutely no problem with killing the flora and/or fauna, providing it is not wasted. If you want to gawk at something, make it something that is still alive. You do not have to kill it just to look at it.
Wow so things like the Rose Parade must disgust you.
I don't consider a Christmas tree a trophy but to each his own.
We had live trees as a kid, picked as a family from a tree farm. We decorated it together and it made our whole house smell like pine. It might not seem "important" to you but picking out the tree was a big deal for my family.

As far as the environment those plastic trees are worse. At least with live trees can be recycled. In my county they pick them up and shred it for mulch.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy~O View Post
Were I live it's the forest service and they're idea of clear cutting........not Christmas tree farms.

Not enough people go to the woods to cut trees. A person defiantly would not see patches of nothing miles wide and long from Christmas tree hunters getting a tree once a year.
I don't think you've ever gone Christmas tree cutting in a national forest. We have. The forest service marks the trees you may cut. They're usually scraggly, spindly things. You're paying them (you need to buy a permit) to thin the forest. We gave up on that after a couple of years.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Actually, you can buy living trees at a nursery. After Christmas, you keep the tree in the garage or basement, water the root ball occasionally, then plant it in the spring. If you run out of room in your own yard, they make lovely gifts for friends who can accomodate them. We have a nice stand of blue spruces from Christmases past, and the memories to go with each one.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
wow. Bitter Party, table of one

A Christmas tradition is now evil under Obama? give me a break.

I have a suggestion for all those that want to be free of Obama - move!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Were I live it is the US Forest Service that usually starts the forest fires.
That is a controlled burn and it is a good thing for the forest since it actually prevents those massive out of control fires that end up taking out peoples homes and before we started putting them out they were very Common and are good for the Forrest.

in fact some pine cones and wild flowers only bloom after they have been through a Forrest fire and they create a neat sight to see when the wild flowers bloom but Alaska and the PNW have the pine beetle infestation and it is sure noticeable in B.C., Western Washington, Oregon, Colorado and Wyoming

Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
Darn. And here, several "conservatives" have been arguing for years that Obama is a Muslim. What in the world is a muslim doing with all those Christmas trees?

Oh, I know, he is trying to corner the market so that the average Joe can no longer purchase a Christmas tree. Thus, Christmas will decline in importance and will eventually be abolished.

See, all those Christmas trees are really just evidence that there is, indeed, a war on Christmas.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
That is a controlled burn and it is a good thing for the forest since it actually prevents those massive out of control fires that end up taking out peoples homes and before we started putting them out they were very Common and are good for the Forrest.

in fact some pine cones and wild flowers only bloom after they have been through a Forrest fire and they create a neat sight to see when the wild flowers bloom but Alaska and the PNW have the pine beetle infestation and it is sure noticeable in B.C., Western Washington, Oregon, Colorado and Wyoming
Not so controlled when the US Forest Service starts fires that cover hundreds of acres and burns down people's homes.

It is the Chinese spruce beetle that infests our forests, which the US Forest Services refuses to allow to be harvested, thus increasing the risk of more forest fires. There are no pine trees this far north, just spruce and birch.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
These are not the Obama's personal trees. The Christmas display at the White House has been a major tourist attraction for decades and hundred of people take the tour every day.
Oh, so you are saying that this is a "State Sponsored" display of Christian Religious Symbolism, and at the White House of all places too? Very interesting.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 AM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Darn. And here, several "conservatives" have been arguing for years that Obama is a Muslim. What in the world is a muslim doing with all those Christmas trees?

Oh, I know, he is trying to corner the market so that the average Joe can no longer purchase a Christmas tree. Thus, Christmas will decline in importance and will eventually be abolished.

See, all those Christmas trees are really just evidence that there is, indeed, a war on Christmas.
I kinda see it from another angle .... seems like you Godless liberals will spare no effort to invade Any-Town, USA with an army of ACLU Lawyers to force Mayor Smith to remove a Christmas Tree in Town Square, but it's no problem at all for Obama to have one in every room of the White House, one on the Lawn that is the size of the Great Pyramid of Egypt, and one sticking out his rear end?

How do you people keep from busting out in laughter at your own folly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies