Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's more to this than just the expiring cuts though.
There are Obamacare taxes hitting.
There's a boatload of regulations going into effect that will hit consumers.

This tax bill won't come due until 2014 when you file your 2013 returns.
Without really knowing all the changes coming in 2013 it's hard to budget your finances.

Some will be able to do it with the known changes but many of us that think we're not in that 1% and won't be effected will be in for some big surprises next year.
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Most workers have health care. They will not be effected by any Obama Care taxes. If your business doesn't provide health care, it should.

Anyone can compute the change in taxes. If you are in the top rate, your additional tax is only on that above $250,000 and it's 3% more.

If the rates increase for everyone, we go back to the rates under Clinton. I don't remember having trouble paying my taxes in the 1990s and the government was fully funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

If the rates increase for everyone, we go back to the rates under Clinton. I don't remember having trouble paying my taxes in the 1990s and the government was fully funded.
I totally get that, but raising taxes now will not result in our government being fully funded.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Default Not a thing...

I'm on a 6 week holiday - I'm not changing a thing.

I still plan to take 3 weeks in May, too.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Most workers have health care. They will not be effected by any Obama Care taxes. If your business doesn't provide health care, it should.
ObamaCare actually makes it more cost-effective for businesses to discontinue health insurance and cast employees onto the ObamaCare insurance exchanges.

Net effect: Paying the penalty will be less costly for businesses, while buying ObamaCare exchange health insurance will be more expensive for employees.
Quote:
If you were a business and you had the option of paying a $2000 fine per employee, or $14,000 in health insurance premiums, what would you do? Especially if you could dump workers guilt-free into government-subsidized insurance exchanges.
Yes, Virginia, employers could drop health coverage | SFGate.com

Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm on a 6 week holiday - I'm not changing a thing.

I still plan to take 3 weeks in May, too.
WHAT? Fear and paranoia do not rule your life???

How refreshing.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
ObamaCare actually makes it more cost-effective for businesses to discontinue health insurance and cast employees onto the ObamaCare insurance exchanges.

Net effect: Paying the penalty will be less costly for businesses, while buying ObamaCare exchange health insurance will be more expensive for employees. Yes, Virginia, employers could drop health coverage | SFGate.com
Uh, it's already more cost-effective for businesses to discontinue health insurance. PPACA makes it less so. I'm an employer that provides health insurance to all of my full time employees. My business partners and I actually cover 100% of their premiums. Right now there is no financial incentive for me to provide health insurance to them, other than it's a good benefit to attract high quality employees. Right now, it costs me $xx,xxx/mo to provide that coverage, and it would cost me $0 to drop it. Under PPACA, if I were to drop coverage, it would cost me a penalty. So for an employer like me, what you have said is absolutely false. PPACA makes it less cost-effective for me to drop health insurance.

The employers that the penalty will hit hard are ones who do not provide health insurance to regular employees who work more than 30 hours a week. Lets say a business defines full time as 40 hours/week, and doesn't offer health insurance to anyone under that threshhold, but they have 100 employees that work between 30 and 40 hours/week. Once the penalty is implemented, they will have to either cover those additional 100 employees, or pay a penalty. Those companies need to weigh the additional cost of the penalty vs. the additional cost/benefit of providing the coverage.

I personally believe that health insurance should be de-coupled from employment, because it causes problems when individuals have lapses in employment. I just provide it because I want to be a competitive employer. I think the exchanges are a good thing for everyone except insurance brokers. Brokers actually have access to general agencies who provide similar services to an exchange - with a search engine that can compare and compile quotes for different coverage. The exchanges just cuts out the middle-man by bringing that functionality directly to the consumer.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Basicvaly I am more worried about the indirect increases from raising taxes that what I see. Also I see local and state taxes going up as there will be a big hit to federal revenue sharing.I have been preparing for what the defcit means for years and looking at savings and delevering I would say many others have too.I wuioll tho cut back on some things in order to keep wealth.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basicvaly I am more worried about the indirect increases from raising taxes that what I see.
Do you think it is more expensive to buy insurance than to use ER as a clinic?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Uh, it's already more cost-effective for businesses to discontinue health insurance. PPACA makes it less so.
Now, yes. Under ObamaCare, no. ObamaCare has essentially guaranteed that employers will cast off their employees who will then be forced to purchase mandated health insurance provided by government exchanges. That will ultimately cost employees much more than they currently pay for health insurance.

Quote:
I personally believe that health insurance should be de-coupled from employment, because it causes problems when individuals have lapses in employment.
I do, too, but most people have NO clue how much of an additional cost they will incur by having to always purchase their own insurance.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Cut salaries and benefits for all GOP elected officials. Hopefully they'll get the message and slink back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies