Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1-Do you agree with the Tax Foundation debunking similar "actual rates"?
2-Do you think republicans should not hold tax rates for 99% hostage so they can protect that for top 1%? Why?
1. Without the TF showing the math, no I don't. I provided you figures based on actual tax rates at the end of the Clinton years, vs now. You have stated that the Obama tax increase would take us back to the rates paid under Clinton. I showed you the math behind the real numbers. Are you NOW saying that the Clinton era rates will not apply? If so, prove it. If the existing Bush tax cuts are not extended, what are rates, standard deductions and personal exemptions that will we have? If you can do that, I'll run the math for you again.

2. I do think Obama will toss 98 percent of the population under the bus if he doesn't get his revenge on the 2%. Though I hope I'm wrong and that the man isn't that petty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1. Without the TF showing the math, no I don't. I provided you figures based on actual tax rates at the end of the Clinton years, vs now. You have stated that the Obama tax increase would take us back to the rates paid under Clinton. I showed you the math behind the real numbers.

2. I do think Obama will toss 98 percent of the population under the bus if he doesn't get his revenge on the 2%. Though I hope I'm wrong and that the man isn't that petty.
1- Tax Foundation has shown the math. Dispute the number(s) you believe to be wrong.
2- I asked about republicans, not Obama. The question was: Do you think republicans should not hold tax rates for 99% hostage so they can protect that for top 1%? Why?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
1- Tax Foundation has shown the math. Dispute the number(s) you believe to be wrong.
Where? A table with calculated numbers on it is not "showing the math". It's telling a story. Show me the math behind the numbers. They aren't exactly hard to calculate.

I hope they are at least close to right. I'd only be paying an extra $1600 a year, rather than $3400. But the math isn't working.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:

How about you...where will you trim your spending in order to subsidize DC?
About $200 less will be going to savings.

[my spending, which isn't high, will remain the same]

Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Where? A table with calculated numbers on it is not "showing the math". It's telling a story. Show me the math behind the numbers. They aren't exactly hard to calculate.

I hope they are at least close to right. I'd only be paying an extra $1600 a year, rather than $3400. But the math isn't working.
Yes, a table with calculated numbers. But if you want to see the math, you will have to track back to spreadsheets also linked in that article. So, are you finally left to claim:
a) Tax Foundation is lying
b) Tax Foundation doesn't know how to calculate, but you do.

Now, what happened to #2? Is see you conveniently not only ignored it, but snipped it off your response. To save you the trouble, again...

2- Do you think republicans should not hold tax rates for 99% hostage so they can protect that for top 1%? Why?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you somehow under the entirely false impression that everyone pays under ObamaCare? How is it even possible that you believe that?
No, you're under the false impression that being the point. But if you want to discuss it, Obama Care's primary goal is to increase access (which should reduce costs in the longer term), to prevent patient purge, and denial of coverage with pre-existing conditions and to maximize use of premiums towards health care. There is a lot it doesn't do but that would require further expansion of the law. I'm up for that, are you?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, a table with calculated numbers. But if you want to see the math, you will have to track back to spreadsheets also linked in that article. So, are you finally left to claim:
a) Tax Foundation is lying
b) Tax Foundation doesn't know how to calculate, but you do.

Now, what happened to #2? Is see you conveniently not only ignored it, but snipped it off your response. To save you the trouble, again...

2- Do you think republicans should not hold tax rates for 99% hostage so they can protect that for top 1%? Why?
1) Now where are these magic spreadsheets that you claim exist? Because I am not seeing any such links. Call me suspicious...but it's not the first time you've claimed things that lack a factual basis. If you can show me the numbers, I'll admit I'm wrong and the tax increase will be less than what I fear. I hope that's the case. Or simply show me the numbers of what the rates, brackets, deductions and exemptions will be in JA if there is no resolution. Just saying "here's a table that shows what I want it to" doesn't cut it.

2) No, I don't think the Rs will hold anyone hostage. They have passed numberous bills that extend the BTCs, freeing all the "hostages". Unfortunately...Obama seems unlikely to sign them.

So, now that the Rs have done their part, let me ask you...will Obama force the entire population to pay higher taxes in order to get his revenge on the rich?

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-14-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
I think since the democrats have stated unequivocally that the Bush tax cuts primarily benefitted the rich that the least they can do is let them expire.

The GOP has said they don't have a problem with the cuts expiring as long as they expire for everyone. I would think it's the least the liberals could do for their country. They give a little and the rich give a lot.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I think since the democrats have stated unequivocally that the Bush tax cuts primarily benefitted the rich that the least they can do is let them expire.

The GOP has said they don't have a problem with the cuts expiring as long as they expire for everyone. I would think it's the least the liberals could do for their country. They give a little and the rich give a lot.
If that is the GOP strategy, the GOP is doubling down on stupid -- for the president's plan is widely popular. If the GOP allows the rates to rise on everyone, when they had te opportunity to hold them just for the upper income folks, they are a dinausaur party.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
No, you're under the false impression that being the point.
Not at all. In fact, I've already pointed out that ER services are NOT more costly than insurance for those who pay NOTHING for either. Who is that?
Quote:
But if you want to discuss it, Obama Care's primary goal is to increase access (which should reduce costs in the longer term),
I don't see how. There's NOTHING in ObamaCare to stop those who already use the ER for free for every minor sniffle and cough from continuing to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies