Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It disgusts me that people are switching focus from the animal that did this to a tool used by 100s of millions on the planet.
Without the tool, the animal wouldn't have been able to mow down 30 people in a matter of minutes. What is the purpose of an automatic weapon if not to do exactly that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,320 times
May the anti-gun advocates and legislators who took away the right of school administrators and teachers to defend their students with guns, burn twice as long in hell, including the shooter.

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Why do you want to get rid of any laws that prohibit a psychotic person from getting a gun?
You do, you just said they don't work. I could post your quote, but you'd probably deny it.

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Do you mean the 2nd amendment that endorses DEATH?
You might have missed the historical context--and the point. Americans needed to be able to protect themselves against a government intent on enslaving them, and taking a large chunk of everything they managed to obtain for themselves.

Just like today. In my town, property taxes are already placed at obscene levels simply to redistribute wealth (on top of income tax), with NO relation to the cost of the miniscule "services" rendered, This has shut donw any hope of selling your home--or getting back any of the largest source of working-class wealth; meanwhile, we are all being taxed into poverty. When they've taken all our savings, they take the house and sell it to someone from liberal Mass., who will then vote vote for even high taxes for local government to party with, or burn in huge bonfires.

The Second Amendment makes sure our huge and ever-more-abusive/controlling government is afraid of crossing any and all lines. It (for now) prevents us from being Nazi Germany, with no recourse other than being the first to run away.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
I can hear the knees jerkin' at the NRA now! That's how you tell an NRA member-from the limp.

I'll BET the shooter was a yoonyun Dem or Dem Symp, or a Com, Soc-Com Symp Kenyan.

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default Gun problem - not so much

We do not have a gun problem. We have a people problem. I have to wonder why someone sick enough to want to kill children is still running around loose. This guy shuld have been locked away or killed way before he got around to killing kids.

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
My 2 cents. You do not need a military grade weapon to protect your family or hunt. These are weapons of war and murder. I am not anti gun. Infact, I plan to be a gun owner in the near future, but automatic weapons are for soldiers not civilians.
This is the problem with the anti gun crowd. You don't know the difference between automatic, semi, military, etc.

Automatic weapons are and should be illegal. The "assault rifles" that everyone is complaining about are nothing more than regular rifles that look a little scary. One pull, one shot. Just like a handgun, revolver, etc.

Crazy is crazy. You cannot legislate against it. If you want the argument against gun control, look at Chicago and DC, two of the highest murder rates and two if the most strict in gun control. It's no coincidence.

What happened today is horribly tragic and I've shed tears over it. Most have. But gun control won't change crazy people. For every horrible person like this there are millions and millions that own multiple firearms, and pray to God we never have to use them, but are prepared if we do.

What happened today is a result of a world moving away from God.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Without the tool, the animal wouldn't have been able to mow down 30 people in a matter of minutes. What is the purpose of an automatic weapon if not to do exactly that?
Lots of common everyday tools that can kill many people in a matter of minutes. What you should be asking yourself is why wasnt this common 100 years ago when owning automatic guns had even less controls.

Your focusing on the symptom not the cause.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
What's wrong with making it difficult for homicidal mentally ill people from getting a gun.
I'm sure theres laws on the books forbidding the mentally ill from owning guns but with hundreds of millions of guns available to just about any one who wants one its kinda tough to prevent people who want to go on a killing spree from acquiring the necessary arms to play out their fantasies.
Just got to accept the fact that America is a gun culture and incidents like this one are going to just keep on happening.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sure theres laws on the books forbidding the mentally ill from owning guns but with hundreds of millions of guns available to just about any one who wants one its kinda tough to prevent people who want to go on a killing spree from acquiring the necessary arms to play out their fantasies.
Just got to accept the fact that America is a gun culture and incidents like this one are going to just keep on happening.
So if we can't get rid of the guns, why TRY to get rid or at least control the mental illness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies