Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Which "well-regulated militia" are you a member of...?
You are misreading the 2nd Amendment. It states that we shall have a well regulated militia (then states a fact in that "being necessary to the security of a free State), and then continues with "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The phrase "we'll-regulated militia" and "the right of THE PEOPLE" are two different categories of individuals. The Supreme Court points this out repeatedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Gun culture along with people, including parents, unwillingness to call these whackos out before something crazy happens.

If you know someone with these items, chances are their a whacked:

Quote:
The gunman was wearing dark clothing, a mask, a bulletproof vest, and was carrying four guns. A cause and manner of death is pending, police said.

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
No, American has always been a FREEDOM culture.

A tendency that government has been actively working to destroy for the last few generations. To the anger and frustration of quite a few people who think that freedom is important, or even vital.

Could that have anything to do with it?
Yes and a gun culture. Guns have always been a part of our culture.

Dont put or assume a negative spin on my post.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Good god, don't you think they could at least have it just a teensy bit more difficult to get hold of high powered military grade weapons that don't give anyone even a teensy chance?
There are....it's called a background check. If you have nothing in your past to suggest that you are a threat to the public, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get your hands on a high powered, non-automatic weapon.

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
May the anti-gun advocates and legislators who took away the right of school administrators and teachers to defend their students with guns, burn twice as long in hell, including the shooter.
I don't wish hell on anyone, but I agree that staff should be able to defend themselves and the children in their keep. These nutjobs are attacking in "gun free" zones because they know they will be unopposed.

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
I can admit that I am not too clear as to what classifies an automatic vs semi automatic, but whatever can shoot off a reported 100 rounds without reloading does not need to be in the hands of a civilian, period.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Some insane person just shot 18 kindergartners and 9 adults in a school in Connecticut.

In fact, NOTHING can prevent a mostly-OK-looking guy from secretly getting a weapons (gun or knife or car or etc.) and going someplace and suddenly killing a bunch of people.

NOTHING.

Except a draconian police state that watches, checks, interrogates, regulates, and controls EVERYBODY. Is that what we should put in place?
YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

It's hyperbole like this that stalls intelligent and rational discussion about gun control. The sooner America gets people like you out of the narrative the quicker we can find a solution.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Hey people, can we at least wait a day to jump on the politicizing bandwagon.

Reports are that around 30 innocent people, mostly children, were senselessly killed today. Make sure you hug your kid when they get home from school today.

I'm not a cumbaya guy, but its pretty clear that people in our country need a lot more love and a lot less hate and vitriol.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There are....it's called a background check. If you have nothing in your past to suggest that you are a threat to the public, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get your hands on a high powered, non-automatic weapon.
If I were to ask about accountability to gun ownership of person(s) involved in the latest shooting, what will be your response?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It disgusts me that people are switching focus from the animal that did this to a tool used by 100s of millions on the planet.
In China today, another nut case stabbed twenty school children with a knife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies