Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times

Advertisements

Only the very far left is saying to make all guns illegal. I think most people are saying how do we keep guns out of the hands of people who are mentaly unstable? How do we stop people from getting a gun in a face to face unchecked buy in some parking lot where its legal to do so? Regulation to some deg. may be required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Guns don't kill people... people kill people.. you dummies!!! ..................
NO........ PEOPLE with GUNS kill people.

That is a ignorant satement. I have guns in my house always have, friends i know, have locked guns in the home, family members. And i am sure a lot of real good fine folks on this forum, who also have guns for no reason other then protection.

No only people with guns who pull the trigger, kill people and no others, and don't you dare say that all people with guns kill people. You have got to want the need and the determination, the will, the hate, the negative, and the hatred in your soul in order to kill.

Most people i know have guns for no other reason, then for protection. I have stun guns, they would do nothing against a gun. You literally have to be right on top of the person, in order to use the stun gun, against a gun, or a knife, or strangling hands around ones neck, you are in trouble.

Look i had 2 family members murdered, one by a gun, and one stabbed to death, gosh dang it, over and over and over and over again. The intent in both these gruesome murders, were the same, take someones life who is good and innocent, and hurt the family for no other reason, except sheer hate.

People hell bent on hurting another human, for no reason except sheer pleasure and seeing the people at their most vulnerable, is crazy, people that have hate in their heart.

And if they don't do it with a gun, they will find another means, people who kill, will find the means and another way, as in my cousins death, who was stabbed to death.

AT home he was, minding his own P'S AND Q'S at his table, drinking coffee, when an intruder entered the room, and the rest, i want to forget.

But don't you dare say, i have guns for killing people, i know your intent, but it is the sick and twisted who have guns for that reason. Only goes to show, how many sick people we have around us.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
You want me to fend off an attack from a 400 pound black bear with a bow and arrow or a machete? That's absolutely ridiculous. I refuse to believe you honestly think that this is a rational opinion. What happens when crazies start using machetes or bows in massacres? Then we ban them too?
I'm with ya partner. Fawk LA.

Sent from my dash cam, typed on my rural keyboard...using Windows Vista and KISS MY ASS!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times
This is old, tired and dumb. People with guns kill people. Defending the easy access to guns right now is just being an ass.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Which is it? If it isn't a gun problem, then is it a problem with crass American "culture"? WTF is wrong with this country?
Banning all gun ownership in the USA will always autofail. Pandora's Box has already been opened and remained open for far too long. The 2nd Amendment says Americans have a right to own guns and it doesn't say a damn thing about "only if used for hunting" or anything like that. This means that the Supreme Court wil have little choice but to strike the vast majority of gun laws. The Constitution says the people can have them, period.

There is a well established black market in the USA for guns. That black market exists because some people want to get things like assault rifles and sniper rifles when they're illegal where that person lives. Ban gun ownership and the black market stands to make a killing selling guns to people.

If we were to successfully repeal the 2nd amendment and then illegalize all gun ownership in America, you'd never be able to enforce such laws. The best you would manage over the long term would be limiting gun ownership to organized crime and anyone willing to buy the guns from them. It'd take at least a century to get that far too.

Now let's face reality here: The 2nd Amendment isn't going anywhere. The process of repealing it is too difficult and there is too much opposition. Any solution to gun violence in America must address the root causes of violent behavior in people. Figure out why people go on homicidal rampages in the first place and start fixing things from there. Taking all the guns away just ain't happening. If you could take them away, people would just kill each other with kitchen knives or whatever else they could find.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
You want me to fend off an attack from a 400 pound black bear with a bow and arrow or a machete? That's absolutely ridiculous. I refuse to believe you honestly think that this is a rational opinion. What happens when crazies start using machetes or bows in massacres? Then we ban them too?
You will have to trudge around with a long sword at your side and a bow and arrow like robin hood. This is what these lunatics think will solve the problem of lunatic criminals shooting people.

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times
He supposedely used a .223 by no means a high powered gun. Also,schools are all gun free zones.

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The gun was the weapon, not the problem.
Take away the guns will not solve your problem because other weapons will be used instead.

Taking away guns will not solve the problem of mental instability and mass fatalities.

People seeking "social revenge", as the article below aptly puts it will just use different weapons to achieve the same impact.

Chinese man on stabbing spree hurts 22 kids
The dreaded attacks on school children returned to haunt China on Thursday after 22 of them were injured besides an 85-year-old woman after a "mentally deranged" man, armed with a knife, went on a slashing spree at a primary school.
China has been experiencing the school attacks in different places for some time. Dubbed as social revenge attacks by frustrated people marginalised by China's rapid development in recent years, the attackers mainly targeted school children to make maximum impact.
The problem is GUNS, REPUBLICANS and the NRA. You do notice the the children in China were WOUNDED. They are not laying dead, lifeless and cold with their Chirstmas presents still under the tree at home. So please don't hand me any bullcrap like that. The problem is any psycho in this country can walk into a gun show and get a 100 round gun without so much as a wink. It is nothing but that. And in most states they can walk down the street carrying it too. You don't see that in other countries. Even in Canada, you have to be checked and approved to buy ANY firearm. Other countries have as many psychos as we have. Other countries are more secular and less religious than this country is. But they do not allow any psycho or violent convict to go to a gun show and buy a machine gun. And I consider myself to be pretty responsible. I have a job, raised 3 kids and and own a home. I am everything that is American middle class EXCEPT for one thing: I cannot OWN or possess a firearm of any kind because I have a felony record from 26 years ago for a non violent offense. And because I respect the law, I do not have a firearm. But the fact is that I could go to any gun show on a weekend and buy as many of them as I want with no questions asked if I wanted. That is what needs to be changed.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
It's possible, I'll concede, but any massive change to our current gun control laws is unlikely. It's not just Republicans, even many Southern Democrats are against it. Legally, there isn't much precedent in support of gun control. Just a few days ago, in Moore vs Madigan, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals overturned a complete ban on the concealed carrying of firearms in Illinois.
Those are some valid observations. The courts, fortunately, have seemed much more friendly to lenient gun laws than we can expect the current Executive and Legislative branches to be, and yes, I can imagine there being (hopefully) just enough opposition to gun restrictions amongst House members from both parties to block anti-gun legislation.

My concern remains, however, that public support for status-quo firearm laws will wane, thus influencing legislative behavior at the federal level, which would only be assisted by more Obama appointments to the SCOTUS and the circuit/federal courts.

Quote:
Thus, even if Obama tries to enact new anti-gun legislation via executive order, it will be challenged in court, and very likely won't stand up to scrutiny. If anything, I would expect a ban on high capacity magazines. This isn't effective, of course, as swapping out magazines can be done in less than a few seconds, but it would make the pro gun control crowd feel a lot better about themselves. That's really what the gun control argument is about, making people feel better about themselves. Statistically, it doesn't work. Even if you could get rid of the guns, people would attack each other with knives or chainsaws, which is exactly what happens in Europe and Asia. Just today, a man stabbed 20+ school children at an elementary school in Beijing. We do have a problem, but it's a global problem associated with our culture. It's much more difficult to actually tackle the problem of mental illness than it is to pass gun control laws. Until we do, no matter what kind of weapons related legislation we pass, these tragedies will continue to occur.
President Obama, in the grand tradition of his predecessor, is certainly prone to legislating via executive order, and that's another concern by itself.

And you're certainly correct--the gun-control camp doesn't have the facts or statistics to reinforce the anti-gun agenda, which is why, I believe, they resort to the same sort of fear-mongering that we saw in the aftermath of 9/11. It's apparently quite effective to exploit tragedy and the collective fear/emotionalism that follows it as a means to a political end. It's disgusting, but apparently quite effective.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
I did also, I can remember all of us with our guns out on our desks getting ready to go deer hunting on school forest land. But things change. I don't know what changed, but it has, you will be ready to jump on the movie industry but they have free speech rights. You will jump on everyone but the gun culture. Not to mention, when we went to school no one owned an AR, AK Glock with 33 round mag ect. The guns have gotten more tuned into lots of capacity and designed for killing humans. I don't have an answer, I suspect there is not easy answer as the problem keeps going. I don't think we can defend assault rifles. Yes I know about the StG44 bla bla bla. Its an assault rifle.
People have been using AKs in the US ever since they were invented and used in war. This mass killing thing is what is more common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies