Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think this is an interesting theory.

I also think that a shooting such as the one in Newtown gets the shocking press reaction because of where it happened. Terrible things and shootings happen in impoverished black neighborhoods all the time. We are not shocked anymore when they do. It's almost to the point where the attitude is, "Well, that's to be expected", NOT saying that attitude is OK. Some people, and I can include myself in that group to some degree, imagine that we would do anything anything anything to get our kids out of those neighborhoods, even if we had to work three jobs, even if we had to move where no one looked like us and where we knew no one. It's really easy to imagine that when you don't have to live it.

But in an affluent, clean, white neighborhood with lots of money like Newtown, this is perceived as something that is not supposed to happen. They did all the right things. They lived away from the crime centers. They provided lovely, clean, safe homes for their children to live in. They sent them to schools where there are not crack dealers lurking on the playground. And yet...their children were gunned down.
living in whitey land and expecting no crime is a proven myth. i lived in a 95 percent white city and had my car robbed twice, and home attempted burglarized once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
living in whitey land and expecting no crime is a proven myth. i lived in a 95 percent white city and had my car robbed twice, and home attempted burglarized once.

maybe they were looking for what was missing..

Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Nidal Hasan, the Ft. Hood shooter.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Serial killers are overwhelmingly white males. I have no idea why that is or what it means; but not sure why we can't state the facts.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:26 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
I just do not understand why the media always portrays young black men that has the criminal mind, when young white men constantly do the most heinous crimes for some of the most ridiculous reasons (lost a girlfriend, failed a test) three in one week, same profile. Yet watch out for the black guy across the street he is up to no good. I see reports saying it was easy access to guns and mental illness. In the worst inner city neighborhood black men have guns and probably have had a much more difficult life than any of the mass white male shooters. Why is it that they don't go to movie theaters or schools shooting people when things dont go their way?

People in the barber shops, and in most african american communities talk about it all the time. Yet the mainstream white media wants to tell us that it was mental illness and guns. If a black person did exactly what this white man did in Newton, I am certain there would be racist comments, and people saying it is in our nature to be bad. Well history tells us that black men are not really the bad seeds.
It's these crazy religious, gun loving nutjobs that raise their children in an atmosphere that fosters this. Kid has all sorts of mental disorders. He probably wasn't born with them, he was probably messed up by his parent's paranoia. Guns and religious extremism+ paranoia/xenophobia=mass murderers.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
I just do not understand why the media always portrays young black men that has the criminal mind, when young white men constantly do the most heinous crimes for some of the most ridiculous reasons (lost a girlfriend, failed a test) three in one week, same profile. Yet watch out for the black guy across the street he is up to no good. I see reports saying it was easy access to guns and mental illness. In the worst inner city neighborhood black men have guns and probably have had a much more difficult life than any of the mass white male shooters. Why is it that they don't go to movie theaters or schools shooting people when things dont go their way?

People in the barber shops, and in most african american communities talk about it all the time. Yet the mainstream white media wants to tell us that it was mental illness and guns. If a black person did exactly what this white man did in Newton, I am certain there would be racist comments, and people saying it is in our nature to be bad. Well history tells us that black men are not really the bad seeds.
Excellent observation.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
i understand much of what your saying. you will also hear a black person or a dominican or mexican etc...... Adam is Italian and you don't hear it being dragged in the media that he is Italian.
Adam is a born white American.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
so I guess OJ is white is that it..?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 PM

734 posts, read 932,896 times
Quote:

^5, Mental illness is a cop-out. I keep stating that Adam Lanza and those like him are simply cold blooded killers.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM

734 posts, read 932,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Really dipgrant...really? You are gonna bring this up at this time?
This is a very important topic, why wouldn't he mention the obvious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies