Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 AM

370 posts, read 608,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
I just do not understand why the media always portrays young black men that has the criminal mind, when young white men constantly do the most heinous crimes for some of the most ridiculous reasons (lost a girlfriend, failed a test) three in one week, same profile. Yet watch out for the black guy across the street he is up to no good. I see reports saying it was easy access to guns and mental illness. In the worst inner city neighborhood black men have guns and probably have had a much more difficult life than any of the mass white male shooters. Why is it that they don't go to movie theaters or schools shooting people when things dont go their way?

People in the barber shops, and in most african american communities talk about it all the time. Yet the mainstream white media wants to tell us that it was mental illness and guns. If a black person did exactly what this white man did in Newton, I am certain there would be racist comments, and people saying it is in our nature to be bad. Well history tells us that black men are not really the bad seeds.

Well, the recent Brookfield Square Mall massacre in Wisconsin involved a black male shooter, the Hartford Distribution killing involved a black male shooter, the Virginia Tech killer was Asian. I can go on if you like....

A 2005 report published by the New Century Foundation called “The Color of Crime” took these trends a step further:

• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun in a crime.
• Blacks commit 75% of all interracial crimes; whites commit 15%; while others account for 10%.
• Blacks are seven times more likely to be imprisoned

How about we agree that monsters come in all different colors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
To date there have been no spree killers that are black if your speaking about spree killers entering public areas and shooting numerous innocent people down. They have all been white with the exception of Virginia Tech, the killer was of Asian descent. If your discussing the USA.
I think your confusing spree killers with gangster killers which I guess most people do think of black or hispanic people first. That isn't to say there are no white people participating in gangster type killings (drive by) but for the most
part the majority does seem to be black or hispanic people.
Spree killing goes on in other countries and the killers pretty much represent the population of that country.
I think the bigger issue and the one we should be concentrating on is since they have closed down mental institutions for long term care people that should be kept confined are no longer confined until their medication kicks in or can assure the public they are safe to be among us. Instead their care is left to family who are ill equiped and have no experience in handling people with mental illness. However I need to inform you that most people with mental illness really don't
want to mingle with people - they go grocery shopping an hour before the store closes as its fairly empty. Some are night owls sleeping during the day and active at night when we are sleeping. They tend to be a timid lot its the exceptions to the rule we need to worry about and what to do with them, especially when that person is your child.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
While the shooters in many of the mass shootings around the globe have been white, what percentage of white males are mass murderers? How many innocent victims, often children, have been wounded or killed over the years by drive by shootings? I would like to see an end to both of these terrible types of crimes. Both have cost many, many lives and a lifetime of torment for the families. The"ridiculous"reason you mention is the breaking point to these people. Scratch the surface and there are deeper psychological problems. I would say one that shoots many people has some form of mental illness, wouldn't you?

There are good and bad people of every race. Thinking people today are not obsessed by color, they treat people as individuals and judge based on ones character. I don't think this is the time or the proper forum for analyzing the racial make up of certain crimes.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
To date there have been no spree killers that are black if your speaking about spree killers entering public areas and shooting numerous innocent people down. They have all been white with the exception of Virginia Tech, the killer was of Asian descent. If your discussing the USA.
I think your confusing spree killers with gangster killers which I guess most people do think of black or hispanic people first. That isn't to say there are no white people participating in gangster type killings (drive by) but for the most
part the majority does seem to be black or hispanic people.
Spree killing goes on in other countries and the killers pretty much represent the population of that country.
I think the bigger issue and the one we should be concentrating on is since they have closed down mental institutions for long term care people that should be kept confined are no longer confined until their medication kicks in or can assure the public they are safe to be among us. Instead their care is left to family who are ill equiped and have no experience in handling people with mental illness. However I need to inform you that most people with mental illness really don't
want to mingle with people - they go grocery shopping an hour before the store closes as its fairly empty. Some are night owls sleeping during the day and active at night when we are sleeping. They tend to be a timid lot its the exceptions to the rule we need to worry about and what to do with them, especially when that person is your child.
Um, the DC snipers were both African American as well as the shooter in the Hartford Distributors massacre. Most of these mass murderers do tend to be white males, but that may be a function of demographics more than anything else. To say this type of behavior is limited to one race or ethnicity is just not true.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,661 times
I think the OP has a point. My theory about it has to do with differences in upbringing - black kids in poor neighborhoods spend a lot of time socializing on street corners. They are a lot of times raised 'free range' style with a lot of freedom of movement. Their communities are usually dense and walkable. When they get violent, it is often one group of people against another.

White American kids are usually raised in the suburbs, a lot of times with no sidewalks and houses spaced apart, which creates barriers for socializing. This is somewhat unique to America, because people in other countries usually live in denser communities. Also in other countries public transportation is much more common and people usually interact with a lot more people in their daily lives, while in America people can be shielded from the world by their cars and houses.

When all the factors fall together anti-social kids with explosive sensitive personalities are able to seclude themselves from the world. That's why when they explode they act out against the places where people congregate and mingle, and where they never felt they belonged, but subconsciously craved it the most.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
Anders Breivik who shot all those teenagers in Norway is white, some type supremacist armed to the teeth who went on his own mission....another loner who had his own views who turned out to be very dangerous.

excellent points, konfetka
That's probably closest to the truth ...

Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I think the OP has a point. My theory about it has to do with differences in upbringing - black kids in poor neighborhoods spend a lot of time socializing on street corners. They are a lot of times raised 'free range' style with a lot of freedom of movement. Their communities are usually dense and walkable. When they get violent, it is often one group of people against another.

White American kids are usually raised in the suburbs, a lot of times with no sidewalks and houses spaced apart, which creates barriers for socializing. This is somewhat unique to America, because people in other countries usually live in denser communities. Also in other countries public transportation is much more common and people usually interact with a lot more people in their daily lives, while in America people can be shielded from the world by their cars and houses.

When all the factors fall together anti-social kids with explosive sensitive personalities are able to seclude themselves from the world. That's why when they explode they act out against the places where people congregate and mingle, and where they never felt they belonged, but subconsciously craved it the most.
I think this kind of response is close to what the OP was asking. It's interesting. It's true--white people don't hang around in their neighborhoods as much, they would have to GO to the place that hurt them, they place they hate. With black people the pain and hurt is right there.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
However I need to inform you that most people with mental illness really don't
Wow, see this is the problem. The media makes people just as fearful and ignorant about mental illness after these kinds of events as it does with young black men on a daily basis.

Sir (or Ma'am), I'm offended by what you wrote because its wrong. Mental illness doesn't mean "crazy person who is secluded." Chronic depression is a mental illness. OCD is a mental illness. Bipolar Disorder, what I have, is a mental illness. Anxiety Disorders are mental illnesses. And yes, things like Schizophrenia are also mental illnesses. No, Autism (and therefore Asperger's Syndrome) is not a mental illness; it's biological.

Anyway, you're so wrong that people with mental illnesses don't want "to mingle with other people." Wtf does that even mean? Are you going off what you've seen in movies and on television or one person you know who has a mental illness? I'm highly social and highly functional; people don't know I'm bipolar unless I tell them. I'm active during the day, and I sleep at night. And I'm not timid, but not tactless either. Nobody I know fits the description you gave except for the people on the show Hoarders.

See, media? See what you've done? You've led people like this poor fool into thinking mental illness is equivalent to being a recluse who only comes out at night.

Ugh. I pray for this country.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
I'll repeat it.

7 Billion people. We cant control every single mind, and so we have countless mindless freaks out there. We continue to breed and cross breed and situations will get worse because.... there's too many people and we cant control every single thought for every single human being. Its sad.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:35 AM

30 posts, read 84,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Well, the recent Brookfield Square Mall massacre in Wisconsin involved a black male shooter, the Hartford Distribution killing involved a black male shooter, the Virginia Tech killer was Asian. I can go on if you like....

A 2005 report published by the New Century Foundation called “The Color of Crime” took these trends a step further:

• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun in a crime.
• Blacks commit 75% of all interracial crimes; whites commit 15%; while others account for 10%.
• Blacks are seven times more likely to be imprisoned

How about we agree that monsters come in all different colors?
The information you listed up there has very little to do with the specific category of mass murder, which generally involve killing an innumerable amount of RANDOM people. That last point is, for the most part, irrelevant since many people are imprisoned for non-violent, victimless crimes (such as drug possession). Not all gun-related crimes lead to murder (robbery, being a prime example of that). How many interracial crimes committed by black people were mass murders? How many of these murders committed by black people involved killing a bunch of innocent people at random? The data you provided is irrelevant to the topic of mass murders and doesn't prove at all that black men are more violent and more capable of committing murder than white men.

I do agree that monsters come in all different colors (and such).

Last edited by Reese30; 12-16-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies