Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM

734 posts, read 933,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I'm glad DipGrant brought it up, because I was thinking the same thing. But this is probably not the right forum for this.
The DC sniper threads have a lot of comments about race and the "pathologies of blacks" thrown into the mix. But suddenly, this is not the right forum? Interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvb_Bryan View Post
I don't think the shooter was white, his last name is Lanza, that's Italian FYI
The last time I checked, Italy is in Europe. By all accounts, the family is white.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The demographic this is a problem for is people with a mental illness, usually schizophrenia. People with brains that work normally don't go on a shooting spree. Maybe whites have a higher incidence of schizophrenia. I don't know as I haven't researched it. Or maybe, whites have the highest percentage of people in the United States; therefore, having a higher likelihood of being involved in ANY situation.
Whites are more likely to be diagnosed as mentally ill, when they commit a crime, whereas a non white person will simply be viewed as a cold blooded criminal. People will not be interested in understanding, why the non black committed the atrocities...

Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
I've thought about it too. It seems that white men are much more likely to commit mass murder by gun than other groups.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think this is an interesting theory.

But in an affluent, clean, white neighborhood with lots of money like Newtown, this is perceived as something that is not supposed to happen. They did all the right things. They lived away from the crime centers. They provided lovely, clean, safe homes for their children to live in. They sent them to schools where there are not crack dealers lurking on the playground. And yet...their children were gunned down.
Many mistake white to equal right, or believe that just because a person has money, they are good, when this is simply untrue.

You state that they lived away from the crime areas, without realizing that many crimes take place within these people's homes on a regular basis. Do you seriously believe that some of these people aren't addicted to drugs, and using them quite frequently? Or that there's no child abuse, molestation or domestic violence in Newtown?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM

140 posts, read 504,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Whites are more likely to be diagnosed as mentally ill, when they commit a crime, whereas a non white person will simply be viewed as a cold blooded criminal. People will not be interested in understanding, why the non black committed the atrocities...
Mabey because these Big Pharma companies know whites are more likely customers to buy their Meds for depression and anxiety.

I gurantee in the comming weeks there will be a huge increase in depression commercials...not to metion winter blues and holiday times are depressing for some, and so is holliday weight gain....Add all these recent shooting and parents will be so scared their shy and akward kids have potenital issues...that they will by meds from big pharma for adhd, anxiety, depression ect.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJerseyBorn View Post
Mabey because these Big Pharma companies know whites are more likely customers to buy their Meds for depression and anxiety.

I gurantee in the comming weeks there will be a huge increase in depression commercials...not to metion winter blues and holiday times are depressing for some, and so is holliday weight gain....Add all these recent shooting and parents will be so scared their shy and akward kids have potenital issues...that they will by meds from big pharma for adhd, anxiety, depression ect.
I don't believe that's the reason. I think American society (which largely consist of whites) wants to believe that their sons and daughters are incapable of committing such acts unless they are mentally deranged. Blacks on the other hand are simply viewed as criminal, so when crimes occur, blacks are just labeled as killers, whereas mental illness is used to explain white pathology.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,330,462 times
that's right, Lilly..
I was reading a book on the subject written by a lawyer who spent his whole life with white crime...he says similar things.
Plus he adds every human, absolutely everyone is capable of murder. We are the only animal capable of killing just because we can. We may justify it in our head but senseless killing is a human trait. Animals kill for food, for self preservation, for saving their life or the life of their group or in mating (survival of the fittest) so the species can thrive.
Whether we're this race or that, we can say it's the environment or mental state that made us do it...whatever reason we try to find for it, it makes us the most dangerous animal out there.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Default Are mass shootings a problem with a certain demographic

No

Old 12-17-2012, 12:55 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
I just do not understand why the media always portrays young black men that has the criminal mind, when young white men constantly do the most heinous crimes for some of the most ridiculous reasons (lost a girlfriend, failed a test) three in one week, same profile. Yet watch out for the black guy across the street he is up to no good. I see reports saying it was easy access to guns and mental illness. In the worst inner city neighborhood black men have guns and probably have had a much more difficult life than any of the mass white male shooters. Why is it that they don't go to movie theaters or schools shooting people when things dont go their way?

People in the barber shops, and in most african american communities talk about it all the time. Yet the mainstream white media wants to tell us that it was mental illness and guns. If a black person did exactly what this white man did in Newton, I am certain there would be racist comments, and people saying it is in our nature to be bad. Well history tells us that black men are not really the bad seeds.
Virginia Tech shooter was Asian.

The Beltway sniper shooters were both Black.

What have you say about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies