Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
1) Abolish Gun shows. Unlicensed dealers can sell guns there without any background checks and 40% guns are bought and sold through this loophole.

2) Strict protocols for licensed dealers.

3) Any buyer must first take and pass a safety class, a psychological screening test, and have no previous misdemeanors or felonies.

4) One month waiting period before purchasing gun.

5) Ammunition cannot be purchased online. A registry is kept also for Ammunition purchase with a limit set on amount per period of time.

6) Finally, a 100% tax on guns and ammunition to pay for extra police, safety measures in schools/public places (bullet proof doors, windows, surveillance cameras, etc.), medical expenses of future victims, and any other cost that results from a shooting or to prevent a deadly shooting.

I will be submitting these suggestions to my congressman and senators.
Will those same guidelines apply to the criminal who has also obtained his 'assault weapons' illegally? And loaded his own ammo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm open to reasonable regulation, we have background check here in PA that can be performed instantaneously, that's reasonable.
And I don't it is. There should be thorough training and licensing requirements, along with an elaborate background check, primarily to ensure that someone choosing to own guns (and selling) understands their personal responsibilities and consequences.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Excatly, there isn't single thing in there other than the possibility of making it prohibitively expensive to own a gun but I guess that's the idea isn't it?
Yes, it is only effective to the extent that it would prevent gun ownership all together. Which is, obviously, the ultimate goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And I don't it is. There should be thorough training and licensing requirements, along with an elaborate background check, primarily to ensure that someone choosing to own guns (and selling) understands their personal responsibilities and consequences.
Neither of which would prevent anything.

Making sure people understand the rules and are trained does absolutely nothing to prevent psychos from killing people.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Rational input is not handing over everything the gun grabbers want.
Definately not handing over everything they want. I'm just giving them the feel good measures they demand. You and I know that the restrictions will do very little to deter future mass killings but change is in the air and it can't be stopped.

The banning of military assault type manufacture was done in 1994 by Clinton. Manufacturers found instant work arounds almost overnight with thumbhole stocks, permanent flash hiders and grinding off the bayo lug.
California has a regulation that bans quick detach magazines from certain semi autos. They also have a magazine capacity limit. Last I checked, California still has an active and vibrant gun culture.
Current owners of various military style weapons will be grandfathered in as will their hi cap magazines. These firearms will be fully transferable.

The rest of my reasonable restrictions deal with the scrutiny of gun purchasers. Even the most avid gun advocate will agree that we don't want mentally deficient individuals in possession. Increasing the screening process will not hurt the gun community one bit.

We need to propose alternatives to the draconian measures our opponents will put forth in the coming debate. We can no longer make the argument that any type of restriction is unreasonable and will not help. If you don't see that then you need to step aside and let the grown ups handle this matter.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
As if any democrat politician would say no to a chance to control people's lives a little more, and raise taxes

BTW, can you justify the ban of gun shows, or is it just an emotional, knee-jerk reaction?
This is the problem with gun shows:

Gun Show Loophole

Quote:
Currently, in over 30 states, one can walk into a local gun show and purchase a weapon from a “private seller,†who does not have to conduct any kind of background check.
Gun owners vs. NRA leadership - Salon.com

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Neither of which would prevent anything.
Making sure people understand the rules and are trained does absolutely nothing to prevent psychos from killing people.
Incorrect to assume it would do nothing.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Then apply the same guidelines to anonymous but public forums.... See where that gets ya? Then what are you going to fight back with? Fingernails and a quick wit?
What is that supposed to mean?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Murder is illegal too and look how that is working out.
reinstate the death penalty across the land for all murders.(with in 1 years of conviction)
We haven't tried a well armed populous.

Removing guns will not deter murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We already tried this. It isn't working.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Incorrect to assume it would do nothing.
So a psycho killer who wants to buy a gun will decide it's too much work to get trained, or be convinced not to kill people by a little lecture about the rules?

No.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I do, and I am a law abiding citizen. We like to shoot off quite a bit of ammo in an afternoon and can go through 2,000 rounds pretty easily.
Find a new hobby or use an air or BB gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies