Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
SLPC already recognizes them as a hate group, problem is that many conservatives hate SLPC. Birds of a feather
Does everything have to be a right or left issue? This group is despised by nearly everyone in this country that is aware of their activities. They have universally pissed off everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 AM

37,153 posts, read 42,269,129 times
I don't care about these jokers. They will die out when the leader Fred is dead, and that won't be too much longer. We just have to keep them from being a nuisance until then.

If it was a growing cult or movement I'd be worried.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 AM

38,648 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Legally recognizing a hate group? No thanks. Free speech is free speech. You can call it hateful if you want, but we don't need the government telling us which thoughts are acceptable and which are not.

^^^^^^^Arguably the single most brilliant posts I've read on this forum.^^^^^^^^

"This group has been recognized as a hate group by organizations, such as The Southern Poverty Law Center, and has repeatedly displayed the actions typical of hate groups."

SPLC?

One hate group calling another hate group a "hate group" is the exact sort of childish private sector pissing match the federal government needs to not involve itself with.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,516,940 times
Hate Speech/hate group laws are just a putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig and these laws do nothing but take away rights as guaranteed under the Constitution. More chilling is the way the threat of something being called hate speech is being used against people.

I despise the WBC and think they should lose their tax-exempt status but I'd defend their rights to their views, as loathsome as I find them.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,223,501 times
Its a waste of time and accomplishes absolutely nothing, except giving them more recognition.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Hate Speech/hate group laws are just a putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig and these laws do nothing but take away rights as guaranteed under the Constitution. More chilling is the way the threat of something being called hate speech is being used against people.

I despise the WBC and think they should lose their tax-exempt status but I'd defend their rights to their views, as loathsome as I find them.
i think ALL churches which get political in any way should lose their tax exempt status.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM

78,552 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
SLPC already recognizes them as a hate group, problem is that many conservatives hate SLPC. Birds of a feather

Westboro Baptist Church | Southern Poverty Law Center
Since you decided to try to play the political card......

Fred Phelps, was a civil rights lawyer, ran for office several times as a democrat and was an Al Gore fundraiser.

Next time, you'd be wise to not try to drag your usual politics into a Phelps\WBC thread....that hijacking never ends how you think it will.

P.S. In efforts for full disclosure, after Gore changed his stance on gays while trying to secure votes....Phelps turned on him. The WBC protested at the funeral of Al Gore's father.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM

78,552 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think ALL churches which get political in any way should lose their tax exempt status.
If they start supporting a political party, yes....and some have and others have been strongly warned.

However, you cannot infringe on their ability to speak out on social issues and so forth.....like abortion, death penalty and so forth.

For example, your views would have been used to suppress the civil rights movement which had deep deep roots in the church and the powers that be could easily deem those to be political views and started shutting down the churches etc. Careful what power you wish to give others without weighing the impact over ALL issues.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,149,079 times
Boycotting anyone funeral is a dispicable thing, these people inthe WBBC are the most disgusting people I have come across. I know one day someone greiving will run them down in a car, or shoot them and I can't say they did not ask for it. You can't do what they do and not reap the whirlwind. Not saying its the answer, but you take a parent the wrong parent who just lost his kid and hold up signs that its gods will and your kid is burning in hell,,, Your asking to get shot.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I see nothing wrong with that do you?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...group/DYf3pH2d
First you have to acknowledge that they are not a "Church" with a religion.
The left associate Westboro as "conservative Christians".

IMO they are a cult, not an organized religious institution.

Yes, from their past actions I would put them right up there with the KKK.

They are not conservative Christians by any definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies