Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
As soon as you admit that the preservation of our 2nd Amendment rights, as loosely interpreted in today's America, is worth 30,000 deaths a year.
Well 17-18 thousand of those are suicides, which guns are hardly responsible for.

And even if we do say that guns and guns alone are responsible for the remaining 12-13,000 deaths (which is a load of horse ****), it's still quite a bit fewer than cars. Let's just say 1/3.

Do I believe the second amendment to be 1/3 as important as cars? I don't think so. But keep in mind those figures are all predicated on the theory that guns are solely responsible for every murder in this country.

I'll continue to pontificate, once you all approach the issue with some basic logic and honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,708,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
How is that relevant? Logically, it makes no difference. Zero.

Do you consider the benefits of transportation by automobile to be worth 40,000 deaths by year?
Did I purchase an automobile to protect myself(meaning I might have to kill someone with it), hunt(meaning kill for food) or for the express reason to drive it into a school and kill innocent children? I'd have to say emphatically, no! I can't speak for all car owners, only myself. I do love these splendid chats in the realm of reason/logic, though, don't you?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It comes down to reasonable expectations. When I get in my car, I know the odds. But a car is a necessity in most of America.
So the legal right to own a car is worth 40,000 deaths a year then.

There's no logical flaw in my argument.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
Did I purchase an automobile to protect myself(meaning I might have to kill someone with it), hunt(meaning kill for food) or for the express reason to drive it into a school and kill innocent children? I'd have to say emphatically, no! I can't speak for all car owners, only myself. I do love these splendid chats in the realm of reason/logic, though, don't you?
I don't know. And I don't care. It's not relevant.

You consider cars important enough to be worth 40,000 deaths per year. Right? Wrong?

You don't consider guns to be worth 30,000 deaths a year. Right? Wrong?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:50 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Exactly. I will say the unthinkable: THE OCCASIONAL MASS MURDER IS WORTH THE RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE TO OWN GUNS AND BE FREE.

Will they say the same thing about the right to drive or own a sword?
You don't have a right to kill people with your driving, or your sword. And if you get happen to mow someone down in your car while brandishing your sword, pretty sure you are going to lose your right to both.

Ad if owning guns is an inalienable right, why don't felons get to do so?

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Quote:
Exactly. I will say the unthinkable: THE OCCASIONAL MASS MURDER IS WORTH THE RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE TO OWN GUNS AND BE FREE.

Will they say the same thing about the right to drive or own a sword?
So without guns people aren't free?

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
I can't believe I have to state the obvious, but apparently some gun nuts have a mental block about the difference between cars and guns.

Cars=DESIGNED to save lives and be productive to society, economy, etc.
Guns=DESIGNED to kill people and destroy the lives of those around them

Using a car properly as designed = no deaths
Using a gun properly as designed = death

Cars= REQUIRES testing, medical clearance (eye exam) and annual registration every single year
Guns= Can get one at a gun show with NO background check, no medical exam, no annual renewal

Cars= become SAFER with each new technological innovation (a good thing)
Guns= become MORE DANGEROUS with each new technical innovation (bad)

Cars= not being used as a weapon every week/month to kill mass amounts of innocent people
Guns= being used with increasing regularity to kill mass amounts of innocent people

Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Cars= not being used as a weapon every week/month to kill mass amounts of innocent people
Guns= being used with increasing regularity to kill mass amounts of innocent people
Cars kill more people than guns. Fact.

Their intent is irrelevant. Everything else you posted is irrelevant.

You think it's worth it. Cars.

The OP thinks it's worth it too. Guns. And that's IF you accept the theory that without guns, murders would not occur. Which is crap.

Priorities.

Quote:
Of course it's unthinkable.

But the ability to drive a car is worth about 1,400 Sandy Hooks per year, according to our friends here.

Super unthinkable.

Again, priorities.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
And 40,000 die from cars.

But that's okay, it's worth the convenience.
Stupid threads and comparisons such as this is an insult to twenty young lives who won't live to see another Christmas.

Shame on you.

Gun Deaths in America: Gun deaths outpace motor vehicle deaths in at least 10 states.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
And 40,000 die from cars.

But that's okay, it's worth the convenience.

Hmmm....cars or guns?? Keep rubbing those neurons...you might get a spark.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Well 17-18 thousand of those are suicides, which guns are hardly responsible for.

And even if we do say that guns and guns alone are responsible for the remaining 12-13,000 deaths (which is a load of horse ****), it's still quite a bit fewer than cars. Let's just say 1/3.

Do I believe the second amendment to be 1/3 as important as cars? I don't think so. But keep in mind those figures are all predicated on the theory that guns are solely responsible for every murder in this country.

I'll continue to pontificate, once you all approach the issue with some basic logic and honesty.
OK, so since we're playing with numbers: how many Americans own guns vs. cars?

How many times a day, and for how long every day, do gun-owning Americans use their guns, as compared to how much car-owning Americans drive their cars?

And how many car deaths are intentional vs. the number of intentional gun deaths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies