Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Can someone explain to me why people have the right to carry a concealed weapon but not show they have one?
So that when some whacko goes into, say, an elementary school with lots of people there (children, teachers, janitors, principal, visiting parents etc.) with the intent of shooting a few dozen children, he won't know which adults are armed.

But if concealed carry is allowed for all responsible adults, he'll know that, even while most adults don't bother carrying, a few will. And so he'll know that he won't have free rein to take his time and methodically shoot child after child - he'll quickly have to deal with an adult or two shooting at HIM. And he won't be able to know who it will be, maybe until the bullet hits him. He won't be able to take out those few armed adults before shooting the children - because he won't know which ones they are.

The whacko isn't afraid of dying. Many of them take their own lives. But they DO want to know there will be blazing headlines after he's gone, weeks of handwringing, tons of wailing and crying... as we are doing today.

And he knows that, if he goes to a place where concealed carry is freely allowed for all responsible adults, even though most are not armed, a few will be. And he won't be able to rack up the terrifying body count he wants to create the lurid headlines, and so his scheme will fail.

And he might even decide because of that, not to try it in the first place.

Anything else I can help you with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
because guns make people uncomfortable. It's a mindset coming from not being accustomed to seeing something, I suppose. Like nudity. lol
Thats probably because nudity never killed anyone. Well, unless it was a naked Rush "airbag" Limbaugh or something

Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Thats probably because nudity never killed anyone. Well, unless it was a naked Rush "airbag" Limbaugh or something
What do you look like in the buffProbably not much better then El Rushbo

Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Because people like you would call the police if they saw someone open carrying legally. Because obviously people who have never handled a firearm or understand their purpose for self defense are afraid of them.
Oh, people have heard of the guns for the purpose of self-defense but that they haven't been able to do is to become mind readers in order to establish whether you are an offender or a defender.

Personally I find open carry as socially inappropriate as walking around with your underwear showing. Open carry will never become so popular as to be an everyday occurrence so it will always be unsettling to others. I carry concealed - less and less these days - and open carry folks immediately draw my unwanted constant attention.

Remember, just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should.

Let other folks go about their lives without having to worry about whether you are just some attention gun rights buffoon or some crazy guy with a gun.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, people have heard of the guns for the purpose of self-defense but that they haven't been able to do is to become mind readers in order to establish whether you are an offender or a defender.
But that distinction is practically irrelevant given that permit holders have a crime rate substantially lower than the general population.

This whole idea that it's more dangerous for people to not know you have a gun ignores the fact that criminals don't care if they're supposed to have a permit to conceal.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Hmmm because who do you think will be the first person shot when a crime is about to be committed by someone else?

Use that thing in your head you know... Your Brain!!!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Hmmm because who do you think will be the first person shot when a crime is about to be committed by someone else?

Use that thing in your head you know... Your Brain!!!
Don't demand the impossible of the paranoid gun-haters, KAAC. Facts and truth have nothing to do with their agenda.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Because some people freak out when they see someone armed. To prevent an epidemic of soiled trousers and/or undergarments, CCP is preferred.
Owning a gun doesn't mean you are courageous

Old 12-19-2012, 01:06 PM

383 posts, read 641,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You can carry "open", and there is no way I would carry open now a days...these idiots would be the first to shoot you...he has a gun shoot him first....then shoot everyone else....

And could you imagine walking through wal-mart with an open weapon....people would fall out screaming he gota gun...he's got a gun....911 would be flooded with calls....
It doesn't bother me. I run into open carry people here in our city, even at Wal-Mart, the Grocery stores and just this week at a circle K. It was a bit of a shock, not to the point of panic, seeing it when we first moved to Arizona. My husband and I both have CCWs so guns don't bother us. Oh and I have never seen one person panic over an open carry person.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Because people like you would call the police if they saw someone open carrying legally. Because obviously people who have never handled a firearm or understand their purpose for self defense are afraid of them.
Nothing the OP wrote indicates they are anything like what you said. The OP asked a simple question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies