Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a back ground check transfer on all private sales of guns
It if would save one childs life I would support closing the gun show loop hole 15 42.86%
If it would save 50 children I would support closing the gun show loop hole. 2 5.71%
No, My freedom to by and sell is more important than kids lives. 13 37.14%
No I don't think criminals get guns in private sales that are not checked. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, I'm sure a criminal will decide they can't buy a gun in a back alley because the law says they need to go to a dealer first. Yeah, that sure will work, they might be murderers, but they will not buy a gun without going to a dealer first to get a background check done.
True, which is why the use straw buyers and since the NRA has forced legislation which doesn't allow law enforcement ready access to all data regarding lawful gun sales, data which they do possess, it is extremely difficult to track dealers and buyers who demonstrate a pattern of unlawful sales. Also, because the NRA has limited the ability of ATF to require annual inventory of gun dealers, almost 30,000 weapons go unaccounted for every year.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
True, which is why the use straw buyers and since the NRA has forced legislation which doesn't allow law enforcement ready access to all data regarding lawful gun sales, data which they do possess, it is extremely difficult to track dealers and buyers who demonstrate a pattern of unlawful sales. Also, because the NRA has limited the ability of ATF to require annual inventory of gun dealers, almost 30,000 weapons go unaccounted for every year.
The feds can't keep track of their own guns.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
Quote:
You're lost on that one guy. EVERY single gun whether it's for sale or your own personal weapon has to be logged into your books. Most gun shops get a ATF visitor at least every other week to check. They also get undercovers trying to set them up to break the law.

After said dealer refuses the sale...the ATF Agent pulls out his badge and says......"GOOD JOB".

Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
You're lost on that one guy. EVERY single gun whether it's for sale or your own personal weapon has to be logged into your books. Most gun shops get aother ATF visitor at least every other week to check. They also get undercovers trying to set them up to break the law.

After said dealer refuses the sale...the ATF Agent pulls out his badge and says......"GOOD JOB".
Large gun shops that is.......high volume dealers....(over 200 a week).

Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Tell ya what....create a database of the mentally ill, or those identified as violent or disturbed in schools, or by doctors. Get that information added to the NICS database so such people are prevented by purchasing a firearm by a background check.

Once that's done, get back to me and we can talk. Otherwise, a background check is a frickin' waste of time. The vast majority of sales at gun shows are through FFL licensed dealers and already do NICS. And they are pointless without the wackjobs being identified.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-22-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 03:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I would have no problem closing the gun show loop hole.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
A strawman sale is a federal felony, punishable by 5 years in federal prison. Are you saying that gun control laws don't work? Also, I wasn't aware that ATFE reported to the NRA...can you provide a link to support your claim?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
I'm not going to answer your stupid silly little guilt driven question. When you want to come back and have a conversation where we leave all the little emotional games out of it like an adult, then maybe I'd give you my answer

Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm not going to answer your stupid silly little guilt driven question. When you want to come back and have a conversation where we leave all the little emotional games out of it like an adult, then maybe I'd give you my answer

I too, am sick of the "if you could save one child's life" guilt trip.

How about:

Would you ban public consumption of alcohol if it would save one child's life?

or

Would you ban playing football for anyone under the age of 18 if it would save one child's life?

or

Would you ban ATV riding by anyone under the age of 18 if it would save one child's life?

or

Would you ban private pools unless the owner has a lifeguard on duty if it would save one child's life?

Where do you draw the line?

Great way to alienate people, OP.

Last edited by Annie53; 12-24-2012 at 12:02 AM..

Old 12-23-2012, 11:56 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
We did a what if on baning guns, but would you as a gun owner go along with closing the loop hole that allows people to buy and sell guns in private transactions without any back ground check? The so called gun show loop hole. If the new regulation would not ban any guns or gun sales but to people who do not pass a back ground check? Would you go along with this if it would save one childs life?

no, my freedom to express my constitutional right is more important than your childs life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies