Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

I believe this is the Sandy relief bill.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...-112hr1eas.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Christie blasts Boehner on Sandy bill: "Shame on Congress" - CBS News

After taking a public shaming from Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J., House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, relented today to hold a vote this Friday for one of two aid packages aimed at providing relief for states hit by superstorm Sandy.

"There's only one group to blame for the continued suffering of these innocent victims: The House majority and their speaker John Boehner," Christie told reporters in a press conference today. "Last night, my party was responsible for this."

"I called the speaker four times. He did not take my calls," he said. "All I can tell you was this was the speaker's decision -- his alone."

Christie decried the decision as "unprecedented," "outrageous," and politically motivated.

"I think, unfortunately, folks are putting politics ahead of their responsibilities," he said. "It's absolutely disgraceful... It's why the American people hate Congress."

Last night politics was placed before our oaths to serve our citizens. For me it was disappointing and disgusting to watch," he said. "If the people of New Jersey feel betrayed today by those who did this in the House last night, then they have good company. I'm with them."
Shame on Christie. The bill was 60% pork and had NOTHING to do with Sandy

Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
That's not Christie's fault. Christie's point is that it's taken more than 66 days to get a bill written and passed. He's pointing out how incompetent Washington is. They shouldn't have put all that pork in there.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Once again y'all aren't "giving" all this money to hold up the red states. It's an incredibly misleading statistic.

1. Block grants awarded to every state: Congress often passes legislation that gives equal dollars to every state. If each state gets $50 million dollars, regardless if a state voted for it or not, states with lower populations will seemingly be getting more.

2. Less populated rural states have a much higher proportion of federal owned lands such as National Parks. Therefore tax dollars that seem to be going to these states are really just going to support the federal government's land holdings.

3. Going off two, these states also have a way higher number of military installations, which probably is the highest inflator of why states receive so much money per capita.

4. Highly populated states receive hundreds of billions more in gross tax dollars.

Lastly, while military members our paid, I would argue that the sacrifice their families and not to mention themselves make is worth much more than the salary they make. To simply brush them off as getting paid by your tax dollars is nothing short of callous and yet again, arrogant.

Every US citizen pays the same federal tax rate. How that money is spent is up to congress, a body in which your highly populated states have many more members and therefore votes.
Hehe. You are talking about a small fraction of the pie. NJ/NY has counties that send more tax dollars to Washington than some entire states. Do you really need our money so badly that you can't allow our own citizens to rebuild with their own dollars? You seem to be advocating redistribution of our wealth, and then calling us arrogant for fighting against it in a time of need. We have people hurting, and we are not even asking you to give up anything that you produced. THAT is arrogance. You should advocate us rebuilding even better than before and then we can continue supporting other states even more than we did before. If we dont rebuild, it hurts GDP because it effects what we can contribute in the future. You complain about the gulf states getting less than we are asking for, but financially, it makes for a great investment in this region.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And thats nothing compared to what we spend on the military.
So what?

As usual the point is way over your head.

This was SUPPOSED to be hurricane relief bill. The Senate, has to LEARN that they can not ATTACH EVERY project they want into specific bills.

It is no wonder we are so much in debt.

The Speaker has said the House will introduce a NEW bill for Sandy relief.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Can you show me where you got the 60% figure? I was under the impression that the pork was more like 2%, which is still 2% more than I would like.
Also, if the 60% pork was the real issue, why didnt they take care of it in the past 2 months instead of waiting until the day of the vote?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM

592 posts, read 502,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Republican obstructionism in action. Their goal is just to shut everything down and prevent anything from getting done no matter how needed.
My question is whether Christie, King or the other outrage Republicans will speak out when the Right Wing Nuts try to bring down the global economy in a couple of months. I am taking about the debt ceiling fight.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
My question is whether Christie, King or the other outrage Republicans will speak out when the Right Wing Nuts try to bring down the global economy in a couple of months. I am taking about the debt ceiling fight.
Christie is the governor of NJ.... not a representative. He'll just stick to his job.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM

592 posts, read 502,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Christie is the governor of NJ.... not a representative. He'll just stick to his job.
Well the economy of NJ will be affected by a refusal of the US Government to pay it's bills. It's all interconnected somehow, and that is also why NJ is asking for federal aid.

The Governors could speak out when national politics are hurting the States. Gov Christie did speak out regarding Sandy, and he is not a member of the the house of Representative or Senator.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Looks like Christie is building his own army of swooners. He is counting the votes the sheeple will bring by his slobbering around begging for money. Democrats love that kind of stuff. The po widdle vicitims need money now dammit. And that debris from the tsunami needs to be tracked NOW!! LOL
Interesting observation as to what you thought of Christie's comments. I didn't see it as political posturing, at all but rather a governor who was told by the President that help would be available and then was blocked (for whatever reason). He was angry with the way Washington is dealing with these sorts of matters. That's how I interpreted it, anyway. BTW, I'm neither democrat or republican. Been an independent for decades which is why I share the same opinion of both parties. Neither are any good, they are both to blame for this country's situation. Yet, I see people here defending each of them and bashing the other when they should be looking at their own party and judging them appropriately and without blinders on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies