Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But that won't get him reelected will it?
RE elected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Cops do seem to be involved in a higher than average amount of gun violence unrelated to their jobs.

10/09/12 CHICAGO (CBS) — A retired Chicago police officer accidentally shot and killed his son early Tuesday, after mistaking him for a burglar, the officer’s family said.

09/13/12 Springville Utah, --One day after a 2-year-old child died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound authorities confirmed that the child's father is a police officer. The boy appears to have shot himself with a handgun, though authorities still don't know if it was related to the father's work as a cop.

07/22/12 Rochester NY---A 59-yr-old upstate police officer shot and killed a man early this morning who he believed to be an intruder but was actually his son. The elder Leach, used his .45 caliber Glock service gun to kill his son, and was hospitalized later for what officers describe as a "medical issue." [read: Drunk.]

07/25/12 Los Angeles CA--- Enrique Chavez, who was working for the LAPD, was accidentally shot and paralyzed by his 3 year old son. The officer left his service weapon, un-holstered, under the seat of his truck and then allowed his 3 year old son to ride in the truck without a car seat. Ten minutes into the drive the unrestrained toddler picked up the unsecured gun and accidentally shot his father in the back, paralyzing him.

Chavez is now suing Glock.

Last edited by ellemint; 01-09-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
RE elected?
I guess you haven't heard about the Democrat congressman that's introduced a bill (again) to remove the limit on terms for the president?
Before you say "it'll never happen", maybe not in a rational nation but it seems in the last 6 years rational has left the building so anything's possible.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Ahhh, the old "if it doesn't affect ME right now then whatever. There's a good indication of how we've ended up where we are as a nation, we've turned into the "whatever" society.
With hundreds of millions of guns in the country,a second amendment that guarantees the right to bear arms, millions of gun huggers who claim they will fight to the death to protect those rights,most of them with the attitude i saw a guy named Alex exhibit on Peirs Morgan show calling for deportation of some one for merely expressing their views on the subject i'm not so naive to think a few more rules and regulations on the guns will diminish 10 to12 thousand people dying every year from people shooting people.However if youd prefer i come down on a side of the fence then (Coin toss)=Ban em all, wont affect me in the least...

Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint
Gun lovers have their rights and with irresponsible use of those rights, the US has become the poster child for gun homicide. Heck, several hundred children die every year just in gun accidents. Gun owners are a minority, and there may just have to be some inconveniences to them because things have gone too far.

"Researchers at Children's Hospital Boston analyzed reports from the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey of U.S. emergency department visits from 1999 to 2007. In those eight years, they counted nearly 186,000 children, from newborns to 19-year-olds, who had been treated for firearm injuries. About 8,300 of those injuries proved fatal.

63 % were intentional, the remaining 37 % were unintentional injuries that could have resulted from accidents in homes or on hunting trips."

Guns Wound 30 Percent More Kids, Study Finds - ABC News
O.K., i'll do some searching on this....since they provided no link to support any numbers....also, I'm not sure I would call anyone a child over the age of 17.....

Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With hundreds of millions of guns in the country,a second amendment that guarantees the right to bear arms, millions of gun huggers who claim they will fight to the death to protect those rights,most of them with the attitude i saw a guy named Alex exhibit on Peirs Morgan show calling for deportation of some one for merely expressing their views on the subject i'm not so naive to think a few more rules and regulations on the guns will diminish 10 to12 thousand people dying every year from people shooting people.However if youd prefer i come down on a side of the fence then (Coin toss)=Ban em all, wont affect me in the least...
Yet.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Exactly why you should have no say in anything that has to do with this conversation...

Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
It's amazing that the pro gun crowd can't even acknowledge we have a problem with mass gun violence in this country. They just think we should all live in a perpetual state of fear and violence just so absolutely no regulations can go forward whatsoever. I think many of them secretly enjoy the stories about small children being slaughtered so they can fantasize about "what I would have done if I'd been there with my guns."

Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's amazing that the pro gun crowd can't even acknowledge we have a problem with mass gun violence in this country. They just think we should all live in a perpetual state of fear and violence just so absolutely no regulations can go forward whatsoever.
Agree.

Quote:
I think many of them secretly enjoy the stories about small children being slaughtered so they can fantasize about "what I would have done if I'd been there with my guns."
As harsh as that sounds, I agree with this, too.

Even before the tragedy in Newtown, in every thread about some shooting (whether it was about a boy being gunned down walking home from a store by a wannabe vigilante, a mass shooting in a theater, or some crazy old coot who executes two teenagers who broke into his home), there is always some who come across like they're just itching for their own chance to pull the trigger.

Those are the ones who brag about carrying in places like Target and McDonald's.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's amazing that the pro gun crowd can't even acknowledge we have a problem with mass gun violence in this country. They just think we should all live in a perpetual state of fear and violence just so absolutely no regulations can go forward whatsoever. I think many of them secretly enjoy the stories about small children being slaughtered so they can fantasize about "what I would have done if I'd been there with my guns."
What a completely stupid comment....................

No, this is the MSM media and anti gun people stating a wrong claim. You prove this in your last sentence, you only talk "talking points" without actual knowledge of what is really happening.

So, let's say you are correct, why are you going after a rifle/shogun, when clearly these are not the problem in this country.

This is what the pro-gun people as me cannot figure out why the anti-gun people as you are going after my guns (rifles/shotguns) when they are not the problem.

Answer that questins honestly, can you? I think I already know the answer, just because of the statment you made above. But, unlike you, I'll give you the benifit of the doubt and let you give an answer.....

Last edited by chucksnee; 01-10-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies