Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9n98SXNGl8 Fahrenheit .357?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Many countries have issues with violence and not just the USA. The reason the USA has a problem with gun violence is because guns are fairly easy to obtain. In other countries, like the UK for example, there is a problem with knife violence. They cannot get hold of guns so they use knives.

Obviously, guns are generally more deadly than knives but, if we didn't have access to guns there would still be violence.

Maybe we ought to be asking ourselves why society is violent and why so many people feel so insecure that they think that they need a gun to protect themselves.

And there is also a vicious circle to the problem. If you think that there is a high probability that an intruder or a robber is going to be armed then you will feel the need to be armed too. So the easier it is for the bad guys to get guns then the good guys are also going to feel the need to get one too.
To add to this, there will always be people that want what others have without having to go through the nasty tiring process of working for it and so will use whatever force is needed to separate people from what's rightfully theirs.
Short of having your own security guards there is nothing else you can draw on to help you in those situations. No police,sheriff,army or whatever will ever be there quick enough to save anyone's butt (except on TV) so it's left up to Joe Citizen to be the first line of defense.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
What is your question then?
Quote:
This is what the pro-gun people as me cannot figure out why the anti-gun people as you are going after my guns (rifles/shotguns) when they are not the problem?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
I've never called for "going after" or banning rifles and shotguns. I am pro hunting. .

Are you pro target shooting also?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Nope.

My handguns are sufficient.

And they aren't registered and I won't register them.

Good luck getting the states to enact this because the feds can't...
So then it IS true - "If they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns".

Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Are you pro target shooting also?
Yeah, I've done that before myself.

And chucksnee, I already answered you when I said I never called for taking away shotguns or rifles.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've done that before myself.

And chucksnee, I already answered you when I said I never called for taking away shotguns or rifles.
But "They" are....that is why I asked the question....

Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM

71 posts, read 60,686 times
It's true... in America it's easy to aquire guns. The black market for guns in major cities is vibrant and growing. You could pass legislation that would shut down every gun store tomorrow, but there would still be 300 million.... let that sink in..... 300 million guns in America. Gangs and thugs and violent criminals will still have the gun that they are packing right now, and they can get new ones through black market or home invasions, or burglary.
Please understand people.... any gun control legislation will NOT effect this sect of our population.
Don't make the good guys pay for the sins of the bad guys.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
According to the Washington Post, the working group on gun control led by Joe Biden is considering some of the following recommendations for gun control.

- universal background checks for firearm buyers

- track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database

- strengthen mental health checks

- stiffer penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors

The official recommendations will come out later this month, but supposedly these are some of the things being considered.

What do you think?

White House weighs broad gun-control agenda in wake of Newtown shootings - The Washington Post
Sounds good; also ammunition restrictions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/ny...-laws.html?hpw

Good things are happening-first the election, now this (too bad it had to be prompted by yet another massacre).

Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But "They" are....that is why I asked the question....
Who is "they?" I haven't seen anything from the White House or anyone else important suggesting the government is going to try and confiscate rifles and shot guns. Sounds like more of the typical rabble rousing from the NRA to beef up gun sales for Remington and company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies