Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
To the left maybe just throwing money at something is not always the solution!!!

If America Spends More Than Most Countries Per Student, Then Why Are Its Schools So Bad? - Business Insider
You are obviously right, for example look at yourself.

A study comes out and says the U.S. spends more per capita on private and public education than...blah, blah, blah. And then you go on a rant as is the study actually says anything meaningful, which it doesn't because taking total expenditure or both private and public education and just dividing it by the number of students doesn't tell me a damned thing?

It tells me nothing about capital expenditures, expenditures that are legislatively mandated, in short it tells me nothing about what money is actually spent on student instruction and what isn't and why. Information which when lacking utterly fails any attempt to come to any sort of rational opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
1) America spends less per student than most western nations, not more.
link pls.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You are obviously right, for example look at yourself.

A study comes out and says the U.S. spends more per capita on private and public education than...blah, blah, blah. And then you go on a rant as is the study actually says anything meaningful, which it doesn't because taking total expenditure or both private and public education and just dividing it by the number of students doesn't tell me a damned thing?

It tells me nothing about capital expenditures, expenditures that are legislatively mandated, in short it tells me nothing about what money is actually spent on student instruction and what isn't and why. Information which when lacking utterly fails any attempt to come to any sort of rational opinion.
From what I see (in the classroom) very little is leftover for actual instruction as that money trickles down and everyone above takes their cut.

You have nice technology (smartboards, laptops, kindles, etc), nice infrastructure (schools that look like college campuses, individual classroom a/c control, ergonomic student desks/chairs).

You have lots of aids, instructional coaches, curriculum advisors, guidance counselors.
You have lots of software for the administration, lots of benchmark testing and analysis and lots of reporting and hosting websites.

None of this seems to help with teaching that 2+2=4 though.

We got lots of "bling" in the schools but it's not doing much to better the actual educating of the students.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From what I see (in the classroom) very little is leftover for actual instruction as that money trickles down and everyone above takes their cut.

You have nice technology (smartboards, laptops, kindles, etc), nice infrastructure (schools that look like college campuses, individual classroom a/c control, ergonomic student desks/chairs).

You have lots of aids, instructional coaches, curriculum advisors, guidance counselors.
You have lots of software for the administration, lots of benchmark testing and analysis and lots of reporting and hosting websites.

None of this seems to help with teaching that 2+2=4 though.

We got lots of "bling" in the schools but it's not doing much to better the actual educating of the students.
I will agree with you on this, the money in education should start with teachers and giving them what they need to be successful and then letting the money trickle down from there. Students and teachers should come first with admin and everything else coming after.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The answer is simple, the money we spend on education doesn't actually go towards "education". Paying the overpaid union administrators that aren't needed doesn't do anything to help our children learn.
Union administrators are not paid by the school districts.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
F*** prayer. It doesn't belong in public schools.
Correct!

Public school is reserved for social engineering, sex "education", and leftist indoctrination. Any deviance from this protocol shall be reported to Chairman Maobama and Comrade Holder.

And remember folks, we are all equal in every facet!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We are the only country that practices true universal education, unlike any other country we try to educate everyone. Sometimes to the detriment of our average and high kids, I might add.
You might want to do a bit of research and see if there is any truth to your statement.

Teaching children to question assumptions, is an important aspect of a quality education.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Union administrators are not paid by the school districts.
Teachers are paid my tax payers money, teachers pay unions administrators ,Teachers take home less pay because of union dues

Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Teachers are paid my tax payers money, teachers pay unions administrators ,Teachers take home less pay because of union dues
Teachers don't have to work at a union school, many schools are non union. Plenty of private or non union schools. Unions are not paid by the state.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Teachers don't have to work at a union school, many schools are non union. Plenty of private or non union schools. Unions are not paid by the state.
Gotta love teacher unions,...they always take care of themselves first. Walking out of the classroom and leaving the students to their own devices speaks volumes for teacher unions.

Teacher unions protect teachers, to the detriment of the educational system. A teacher walkout teaches children that they can achieve anything they want if they refuse to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies