Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

As for "following the money," I also already gave an example of how I believe that works - from my own personal experience working for an ABC affiliate station.
Got a number for that post?

Because I'd like to read it but no way in heck am I plowing back through this mess of a thread to find it.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
No, you have not explained how you go about sorting the range of info available, you've just stated that that's what you do.

Your ABC comment
You say nothing about the government controlling the source(s) of information.
You know why I've never said that? Because I don't BELIEVE that there is some sort of vast, organized conspiracy for the government to control every bit of information we receive via our MSM.

What I DO believe is that lobbyists, special interest groups, huge corporations, and politicians are all in bed together, and this SIGNIFICANTLY degrades the integrity of the news that we get via MSM sources - who rely on the advertising and support of so many of these entities for their living.

I also do think that it's human nature for many political leaders to be power hungry and to use whatever means at their disposal to increase their sphere of power and control. For some reason beyond my understanding (since I am not a politician) this seems to be a very common personality trait among politicians. So - combine lots and lots of money with huge corporations, politicians and the media (and we all know that the amounts of money flowing through those channels would boggle the mind) and it's easy to see how corruption, of information as well as character, develops.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Because I'd like to read it but no way in heck am I plowing back through this mess of a thread to find it.
No, sorry, but this is the quote from it:

Quote:
For the record, by the way, I used to work for an ABC affiliate station. I can assure you that ANY news is tweaked and stroked and packaged with exactly "how" the message of the events is going to "play," with a fine balance being sought between what the local population (and local ADVERTISERS) will find acceptable and what ABC will find acceptable. Sad but true. I've seen many stories thrown to the side because they might offend either an advertiser or ABC - or both. This practice was definitely NOT limited to the local news - it's a practice that permeates mainstream media - from the top down.
This and my post above should clarify my position.

And I don't blame you for not wanting to plow back through this mess of a thread! LOL ME EITHER!!!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
NPR and PBS, two of my favorite sources. You do know that the righties consider them to be bastions of liberal, gov't controlled info, don't you?
Yes, I do. That is why I get my news from a wide variety of sources because they are all biased in some way.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:

And I don't blame you for not wanting to plow back through this mess of a thread! LOL ME EITHER!!!!!
Thanks!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
You know why I've never said that? Because I don't BELIEVE that there is some sort of vast, organized conspiracy for the government to control every bit of information we receive via our MSM.

What I DO believe is that lobbyists, special interest groups, huge corporations, and politicians are all in bed together, and this SIGNIFICANTLY degrades the integrity of the news that we get via MSM sources - who rely on the advertising and support of so many of these entities for their living.

I also do think that it's human nature for many political leaders to be power hungry and to use whatever means at their disposal to increase their sphere of power and control. For some reason beyond my understanding (since I am not a politician) this seems to be a very common personality trait among politicians. So - combine lots and lots of money with huge corporations, politicians and the media (and we all know that the amounts of money flowing through those channels would boggle the mind) and it's easy to see how corruption, of information as well as character, develops.
I agree with all of this.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Right here

Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:

Re the bolded text: In post 856 you agreed to exactly that, which is what started this whole chain of posts.

I pretty much agree with everything in your above post.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Re the bolded text: In post 856 you agreed to exactly that, which is what started this whole chain of posts.

I pretty much agree with everything in your above post.
What? This is my post 856:

Quote:
Absolutely.

And then when individuals or smaller media outlets dare to question the MSM news, they are quickly ridiculed by those MSM sources, labeled and demonized, and that behavior is picked up by their viewers/readers/listeners and carried on. As we've seen right here on this thread.

The really crazy thing is - you're accused of "getting these questions" from some sort of nefarious, weirdo "source." Hey, guess what - my MIND produces questions. I don't have to go to some bizarre website to think of questions. I actually possess analytical skills and curiosity.

Question a MSM source and suddenly you're a gun nut, a truther, a birther, a prepper, etc.

It's sad.
Sorry - don't see any claims of vast government conspiracies in that post. I do see an agreement that government entities can control much of what's presented on MSM sources via their intertwined interests with huge corporations and lobbyists, who are major advertisers on MSM outlets, and also major contributors to political campaigns. But I don't think that this is so sinister as some sort of vast, monolithic conspiracy.

But I'm glad to see that we can agree on SOMETHING.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies