Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't know. But I do know that researchers have identified shared features of mass school shootings.

Such as these factors identified by researchers at the University of Kansas medical school, who analyzed several years of school mass shooting data:

1) Previous warning communications: In contrast to most violent crimes, school homicides have consistently involved some warning communications by the child planning to commit a violent act, often to other children or classmates.

2.. Easy availability of guns. In two-thirds of the cases the attackers took the guns from their own home or that of relative. More than 1/2 the children had familiarity with the use of guns. --- Why should we be surprised that easily available guns play a role in mass shootings? Yet the NRA and pro-gun crowd would have us believe that is not the case. A kid can be angry and violent, but without a gun it is not likely he is going to be able to perpetrate a mass school murder.

3. two/thirds of the perpetrators had been bullied. I would be very surprised to learn that Adam Lanza was also not a victim of bullying at some point in his life.

4.. in at least half the cases, an adult had expressed concern about the child and risk of violence but those concerns did not lead to action

5.. many of these shooters came from families low in emotional closeness. These children had been allowed an unusual amount of privacy, and their parents often knew little about their lives and activities.

All of these factors provide areas for action. The following article discusses "threat assessment" for school shootings in some detail.

http://nancyrappaport.com/files/Twem...%20Schools.pdf

Interesting post.

Number 5 really speaks to me. If a child who is suffering emotionally doesn't have that soft place to land, a place where he feels accepted and loved, his depression/anxiety will soon turn into anger.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 AM

Spree shootings are on the rise. There have been 31 mass shootings since 2000. There were 23 from 1990-1999.

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2012: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation | Mother Jones

Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You are a hoot!! While you go searching around for "commonalities" don't trip over the piles of guns in the middle of every room...
No!!!! No critical thinking allllloooowwwweeeedddd.....

Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The simple, sane person's answer: clerical error (aka a typo)

The conspiracy theory nut's answer: proof of a vast government cover-up of the secret society run by lizard people who are performing alien abductions and pumping people full of bath salts so that the population can be mind-controlled zombies
Yes, this right here is a perfect example of what I meant yesterday. I think Dorthy and others have brought up valid points of concern. Instead of discussing it like mature adults, we have some responses like the above. No one has mentioned any of these things on this thread yet calipoppy & others feel the need to keep bringing it up.

Dorthy and Kathryn have been more than patient with the lot of you. If their statements are so easy to disprove, have at it.

Dorthy, I agree that the amount of mistakes, backpedaling and changing of stories contributes to the confusion over this incident. While I certainly don't believe a cover up is in the air, I do believe this should send a clear, strong message to the media and journalists. Being accurate is a helluva lot more important than being first.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Since we are questioning the whole incident, I haven't seen anyone PROVE that the Illuminati controlled lizard people are not involved. Just asking questions here. Where's your proof that the lizard people aren't behind it all? I need answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Where are all the photos of the Sandy Hook shooting?-potkettle.gif  

Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I know that they get info from other sources but the SSDI is a pretty specific record and one that I would think would come directly from the social security death index.
**When a person passes away, most people do not realize that they should contact the Social Security Administration to inform the agency of the death. In most cases, the death is reported by an agency such as the coroner's office, but this is not always the case. It is important that a relative or close friend of the deceased relay the information to the agency***

Read more: How to Report a Death to Social Security | eHow.com How to Report a Death to Social Security | eHow.com

How else would social security even know? Mistakes can be made all along the line.

A funny story: One of my family members did a genealogy of one side, and discovered that the cemetery where one member is buried had a burial date of a day before the family record's death date. Since people are usually buried a few days after death, that is several days' discrepancy. This is the kind of thing you find when you do genealogy.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
**When a person passes away, most people do not realize that they should contact the Social Security Administration to inform the agency of the death. In most cases, the death is reported by an agency such as the coroner's office, but this is not always the case. It is important that a relative or close friend of the deceased relay the information to the agency***

Read more: How to Report a Death to Social Security | eHow.com How to Report a Death to Social Security | eHow.com

How else would social security even know? Mistakes can be made all along the line.

A funny story: One of my family members did a genealogy of one side, and discovered that the cemetery where one member is buried had a burial date of a day before the family record's death date. Since people are usually buried a few days after death, that is several days' discrepancy. This is the kind of thing you find when you do genealogy.
Your story is a good example of how inaccurate genealogy records like Adman Lanza's can be. My own mother was listed in county records as being a male. People make and have been making clerical errors since mankind could write and they will continue to make them on keyboards for as long as we use them. For those people questioning the events of Sandy Hook based on this kind of nonsense to not accept this basic FACT about humans making innocent errors is crossing over the line to Crazyville.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, this right here is a perfect example of what I meant yesterday. I think Dorthy and others have brought up valid points of concern. Instead of discussing it like mature adults, we have some responses like the above. No one has mentioned any of these things on this thread yet calipoppy & others feel the need to keep bringing it up.

Dorthy and Kathryn have been more than patient with the lot of you. If their statements are so easy to disprove, have at it.

Dorthy, I agree that the amount of mistakes, backpedaling and changing of stories contributes to the confusion over this incident. While I certainly don't believe a cover up is in the air, I do believe this should send a clear, strong message to the media and journalists. Being accurate is a helluva lot more important than being first.
Now there's an idea that, sadly, I don't expect the industry to heed anytime soon. It seems as if it's "Get something--anything--out before everyone else does--we can always retract/correct later."

Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
the system won't let me give you another rep point right now. However, good post. Bravo.

The OP appears to have abandoned the thread at the moment. We'll see when she comes back if she will answer pertinent questions which have been asked of her.
The OP has a life and yesterday was her birthday. I haven't "abandoned the thread." Now - I have a lot of reading to catch up on before I respond. I may or may not get this done before my real life once again interjects itself into my "online time" and I choose to go do things with my real husband rather than sit here pecking away on a keyboard while he goes to the lake.

I'll answer any legitimate questions that are asked of me, as long as the tone of the conversation is mutually respectful and I'm not having to deal with oddballs who seem to have some sort of crazy idea that all I want to do is look at photos of murdered children while I stroke my guns.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why is it weird? They say on their site that they get information from a variety of sources including newspaper obituaries and articles. We all know that information in obituaries (even newspaper articles) is only as accurate as the family person/reporter giving the information to the press. GenealogyBank probably has internet crawlers that glean what the can, too. Someone posing as a family member of Adam Lanza's could have even planted that information at GB to feed into the conspiracy plot.
LOL who's paranoid now?

This whole thing REEKS.

"Something's rotten in Denmark" that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies